Horrible Officiating!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Officiating!

Did anyone catch the Michigan - Ohio State dual on BTN?

174 lbs Zeerip vs Heflin
    Have not seen a couple of NCAA wrestling officials just completely blow a call as they did in OT. WOW!!!!

Must be seen to be believed. Watch it and tell me what the Brands Bros would have done if the same call would have been made against an Iowa kid. And probably understandably so!

Lauden
    "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

Highway Robbery!

Comment

Post it

can someone post this match?
      Practice doesn't make perfect...Perfect practice makes perfect.....Dan Gable

Comment

Totally agree!!! Can't believe u have two officials and they both call it wrong. The asst said riding time never changed that was his justification. Unbelievable. Surprised bormet and pritzlaff didn't go more crazy than they did. Like to see what the officials say when they watch a replay of it.

Comment

Worst no call I have ever seen and he was holding his hand up indicating two for what seemed like forever. Pitiful!!!!!

Comment

A true example of sensory overload.

Late in the dual, highly ranked teams, full house, OT match,,,,,,, those officials minds were like scrambled eggs not being able to sort out a relatively easy situation

I'm sure both refs felt really bad when they saw a replay.

Both benches recognized how the refs were truly confused.

Is Tom Ryan a good coach for arguing for his wrestler when it was obvious without question that the refs were confused? Was that an example of life lessons vs win at all costs? Would all coaches do the same thing in dual?

What will be interesting will be B1G seeding meeting when Ryan uses that match as criteria to seed over Zeerip. Most of the coaches will probably chuckle over that.

Lauden

Comment

Do you really want to complain about officiating when two wrestlers do NOTHING on their feet for nine minutes?

That said, as an official, I think it should have simply been a reversal. I wouldn't have given one and two in that situation. Zeerip should have been ahead going into the last overtime period.

No telling how it would have played out from there...

However, you should't fret.

There is accountability when it comes to officiating in the college ranks.

Comment

you could almost see the sweat pouring off the refs head. His assistant official was absolutely no help (please stop helping me) and he's got at least 4 coaches in his ears in front of a lot of people, that's why he gets the big money right,Ha Ha. The Michigan coaches were telling him, very loudly, "he rode the guy for 10 to 12 seconds before the end of the period!" and they were right. I backed it up on the tv and watched the clock. For those who didn't see it, in OT2, Mich wrestler down, scramble ensues The ref waved his arms, no change, gave 1 for an escape and then gave 2 takedown, should have been 5-2 at that point.
                I was also wondering, aloud to my son when we were watching Ryan throw his two cents in too the refs. What was he saying? It would be interesting to hear, i couldn't hear hear him on the broadcast.
                By hesitating you are making a choice. You’re choosing to take the decision out of your own hands and put it in the hands of someone else. And that means that you lose.

Comment

A question of ethics

I just watched it on my DVR, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Looked like a rookie mistake, but I'm assuming those officials aren't rookies.

In response to Lauden's question...I can't help but think that if I'm Tom Ryan there, I would probably just keep out of it. I like to think that I'd admit it to the ref, but it's easier to say watching on TV at home. I know I've been in similar situations where I have taken the high road and admitted guilt, but never that high profile of a situation. I'd probably just shut my mouth and see what the refs decide.
                  sigpic
                  "No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time...all you got is life time!"
                  -Henry Rollins

Comment

Originally posted by 55663 View Post
                    Do you really want to complain about officiating when two wrestlers do NOTHING on their feet for nine minutes?

Does anyone else find it ironic that a wrestling official makes this statement?

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                      Indeed it is. As far as the match, I do not understand how only one point comes out of that situation. How does the ref not remember the man on bottom was behind his opponent at the end of the period? Should have been at the least two points for a reversal. One of the worst calls I have seen in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                        i·ro·ny1    [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

I see you subscribe to the Alanis Morissette school of "irony". The statement wasn't ironic at all. I think the word you were looking for is predictable. In any event, it was a JOKE. Hence, the *winky* emoticon.

What is there to say about the "event"? It was terrible. It shouldn't happen on that stage or any stage for that matter. The official got confused and couldn't keep up with the action after awarding two too early, waving it off and throwing up a flurry of signals. His partner was no help. It happened and they'll both pay the price of butchering a call on a national stage.

I still maintain it was just two reversal. However, I could support one and two if that was the call they stuck with.

Comment

Worst officiating I have ever seen. I would not believe a ref from beginner wrestling would make this call, let alone TWO refs together in the best wrestling conference in the country. How could you forget your call and then have your assistant ref staring off into space during the same call? As an opposing coach, I would have had to correct this call. I would not have been able to cheat a kid that badly. If I was the Michigan coaches, probably would have come close to getting kicked out just because of the ridiculousness of that call. I am mad about it and I was no where close to involved or care about this match or dual.
                          A new beginning

Comment

Sad...Wow...Unfortunate

Anyone who knows anything about wrestling can obviously see this was a blown call. The troubling part is how flustered and confused the head official was, and to top it all off the assistant was making things even worse.

Riding time clock has nothing to do with the call of 1, 2, or 1 and then 2. But, he couldn't seem to get that out of his mind for some unknown reason.

Bormet, McFarland, and crew are to be commended for not going absolutely ballistic.

Correct call should have been 2 reversal at the: 06 mark left, give or take a second.

This is a lesson for any official who partakes in a head and assistant format of officiating. Communication is critical and the assistant needs to recognize that he must keep an eye on the action, as well as the clock. Those buzzers are very loud in college, no excuse to not be looking at the action.
                            If you dont know what your talking about, learn...
                            If you do know and complain, do it yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by 55663 View Post
                              i·ro·ny1    [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

I see you subscribe to the Alanis Morissette school of "irony". The statement wasn't ironic at all. I think the word you were looking for is predictable. In any event, it was a JOKE. Hence, the *winky* emoticon.
                              Nope, used the word in proper context. Just failed to include the little "winky"
                              For a wordsmith such as yourself, I was being facetious.

Comment

Working...
                              X