Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Burroughs Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    STRATEGY AND TACTICS


    After reviewing all of these matches and others, strategy and tactics can be developed, but the first lesson is to always know you opponent.



    Jordan Burroughs' Strengths

    Speed
    Reattacks
    Upper body strength
    Wrestling forward from his knees
    Experience

    Jordan Burroughs' Weaknesses

    Russian-style wrestling
    Choleric temper
    Feeds off attacks, and can be starved of them

    Starving the Reattacker

    Let's take that last point first. In this video of Jordan Burroughs versus Nick Marable, the latter does jack **** for five of the six minutes. By that time, he's down by the score of 0-1.

    At 4:01 of the video, Marable grabs a two-on-one hold (see picture), and Burroughs almost runs off the mat trying to get away from it. Up to that point in the match--a full 1:20 has elapsed--all Marable has done is a couple of feints and stayed low, even on his knees at times.




    Marable is called for passivity in the first period and doesn't score. That period ends with Burroughs leading 1-0. The match goes on until there is one minute left. Burroughs lulled into sleep, and finally Marable attacks and means it. He gets a single and converts.

    The Marable and Geduev matches teach us an important lesson. If you keep your low position and defense against his sweeping double leg, you can starve Burroughs of his reattacks. That removes an important weapon from him.

    Would IMAR do this? Can IMAR do this? This may be like asking a scorpion not to sting.

    To be continued....

    Comment


    • #17
      STRATEGY AND TACTICS (cont.)


      Should I do reattacks or wrestling from the knees next? I think Burroughs scores more against other fellows with his reattacks than he scores on IMAR. For his bulky size, IMAR is still very quick. How many times have we seen him skip out of a leg attack from Burroughs or Nolf? So, what we'll discuss next is Burroughs' penchant for wrestling from his knees.

      Burroughs' Bull Rush From His Knees

      Burroughs will keep attacking from his knees across the mat. Here is a sequence that took less than 2 seconds to complete in their first Final X match:



      In the midst of this attack, IMAR tried a front headlock, but that didn't slow down Burroughs. The old man from Nebraska is a quickly moving target, so it is hard to stop him.

      Burroughs used this method of attack multiple times against IMAR. I think it is safe to say that Burroughs considers this to be his "go-to" move against IMAR (and against the Russians if he is losing in the final seconds of a match).

      What I would suggest is that the first time Burroughs does this, threaten a cement mixer/cow catcher. Even if IMAR gives up points here, it will benefit him down the road. The analogy I would draw is to the first time IMAR wrestled Nolf. Even though Nolf won that match, IMAR put him on his back briefly, and Nolf never wrestled IMAR the same after that.

      He became cautious.


      GO IRTC!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        STRATEGY AND TACTICS (cont.)


        Reattacks

        The next topic is reattacks. Some of the time, Burroughs will attack and then reattack before you can get your defenses back up. Other times, this is more like a counter-attack. You've tried a shot, failed, and before you know it Burroughs has leaped across the mat to snag your legs.

        This is what cost World Champion Sidakov a couple of scores during the last World Championships.

        Burroughs has scored lots of points internationally with his reattacks and counter-attacks. IMAR did better against these than most during the last Final X. Still, he should again be prepared for them. My suggestion from earlier in the thread:

        One drill that I would run with IMAR would deal exclusively with Jordan Burroughs' re-attacks. He scores a lot of points using the element of surprise on re-shots. You are so busy patting yourself on the back for defending his original shot, you don't protect yourself as he springs across the mat from his haunches or from his knees.

        First, I'd make sure IMAR had knee pads and soccer shin guards on. Then, I'd have him face two quick, athletic guys (maybe Emery Parker and Coach Poeta). Have one guy shoot in, then as soon as IMAR defends it and before he can completely stand up, have the other guy dive at his ankles.

        Burroughs scored most of his points against Sidakov (3) with these re-shots.
        The Russian Two-on-One

        This hold gives Burroughs real problems. Tsargush used it to score many a takedown or step-out. We saw Nick Marable use it (probably after scouting the Tsargush matches), and Burroughs ran away from it. This is a great way to throw Burroughs off balance and to get in his head.


        I've seen IMAR use the 2-on-1, but is it a hold that IMAR would be comfortable with against somebody like Jordan Burroughs? I'm sure Coaches Poeta and Medlin are very familiar with the hold--Poeta practiced every day for a season with the greatest ILLINI practitioner of it (Alex Tirapelle).



        IMAR showed his ability to use a whizzer counter to move Burroughs around the mat in the first Final X match. If he doesn't have the leverage to do that, could he slip down and grab the 2-on-1? I think that would work wonders psychologically and strategically.

        GO IMAR!!!

        Comment


        • #19
          STRATEGY AND TACTICS (cont.)


          There are other things that IMAR can do to improve his chances against Jordan Burroughs. For example, IMAR can remind Burroughs that Burroughs doesn't have a universally known nickname. "JB" is sometimes written on forums, but it's not really a solid moniker.

          This Thing Ö Whatever It Is

          I have to admit that I have never seen this before. I've watched lots of international matches--but not much Greco--and I've never seen this Ö thing what IMAR did to Nolf twice:





          I don't even know what you call it except maybe a double underhook with locked hands. Do they even do this in professional wrestling? The first time IMAR threw it on Nolf, he backed up the 3-timer until Nolf tried to wriggle out. IMAR threw him on his back for four points. The second time, Nolf was smart enough to walk backwards straight out of bounds.

          You can bet Burroughs saw this as well, and it will be more incentive for him to keep his distance from IMAR. Still, it would be sweet to see the ILLINI lock up this hold.

          Roman Knuckle Locks and Head Taps

          IMAR was very good at using a post on Nolf's head to keep him at bay when he wanted him there. He also got under Burroughs' skin during their first Final X match with a pretty strong head tap. This would be an especially good tactic if IMAR adopts the strategy of "starving the reattacker."


          We've seen on three occasions Russians using Roman Knuckle locks to shoot in on Burroughs. Burroughs gets distracted, tries to wave off the Roman Knuckle locks, and the Russian shoots in. This was successful two of the three times.


          Foot sweep

          I've seen IMAR hit many inside trips, but I can't remember a foot sweep. As a lazy, cautious wrestler, I loved the foot sweep. Then, to see ILLINI legend Matt Lackey use it to win an NCAA Championship was glorious, and it vindicated me:



          Even if you just use it to put your opponent off balance, that is a huge plus against Burroughs.

          GO IRTC!!!

          Comment


          • #20
            I was surprised to find video on the internet of Jordan Burroughs versus Franklin Gomez. It was a quarterfinal match at the Pan Am Championships, and it was pretty recent.

            But there it was.

            I remembered that folks at the mat.com had called it a close match. Well, that's like saying Shaq is above average in height. Burroughs came within a half second of losing the match. Gomez was winning by criteria until Burroughs secured a takedown with five-tenths of a second on the clock.

            Tonight, I'll try to breakdown the match, but it appears after one viewing that Gomez used the "starve the reattacker" strategy. He even gave Burroughs a passivity point in the first period.

            After watching the match, I smell a little blood in the water.

            GO IMAR!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              FRANKLIN GOMEZ VS. JORDAN BURROUGHS


              The same year that John Wise became a heavyweight All-American for Illinois, when Poeta and Burroughs had their epic title bout in the NCAA Championships, and Jimmy Kennedy earned his second of three AA honors, Franklin Gomez of Michigan State won a national title at 133. Here you have video of the recent match between Franklin Gomez and Jordan Burroughs.

              Since those days back in 2009, you can say that Burroughs moved up a weight class to 74kg, but Gomez has ballooned up about four weight classes (three in the freestyle weights). He's still a great wrestler and has a World Championship Silver from 2011 at 60kg, but he looks like a different fellow in this match.


              Match Analysis

              For the most part, Gomez used the "starve the reattacker strategy." He kept very low, sometimes wrestling on his knees or with one hand down in a football tailback stance.


              The one decent shot that Gomez took, he was very careful, when he didn't convert, to grab onto Burroughs' arm so that any re-attack from Burroughs could be stopped. About the 1:50 mark of the first period, Gomez was put on the clock.

              He did nothing to try to score.

              (By the way, this match reminded me of something that Burroughs does consistently. He is not a quick starter. The fellow usually waits to turn it on until the second period. This isn't always the case, but it usually is against quality opposition.)

              With short time left in the first period, Burroughs throws in the double underhooks and walks Gomez off the mat to lead 2-0. Gomez wisely accepted the outcome and didn't try to fight too much on the edge of the mat.



              IMAR needs to avoid this tie, unless he's the one with the double underhooks. If you watch the sequence with Gomez, Burroughs stays so low that it would be impossible for Gomez to throw him.

              Second Period


              There's a lot of pushing and head-slapping. Burroughs is warned for an especially egregious tomahawk chop on Gomez' head. It wasn't until about :46 to go in the match that Gomez uses an underhook to sweep across body and secure a high crotch, which he shifts to an ankle.

              He picks it up.

              Then he makes Burroughs hop around on one foot for a bit. After that, Gomez looks at the clock to see how much time he has to finish. (A takedown would put him in the lead). Burroughs tries to get to the edge of the mat and does, but with :10 seconds to go, Gomez jumps behind and gets the two as they go out of bounds.

              At the restart, Burroughs does his charge-at-the-guy thing and with half a second on the clock secures the takedown. He celebrates like he won a world championship.




              Conclusion

              Gomez starved the reattacker in the first period. He did nothing except stay low and meet Burroughs' charges with his head. He was content being down 0-2 after the first period. One takedown could win it for him, and it almost did. The mistake that Gomez made in the final ten seconds was to not stay low.

              That had worked for him the entire first period, and for some reason, he went away from it. (I think he was a little gassed). Even if you have a front headlock on him, Burroughs can still drive you off the mat or get to your knees. In fact, in those last ten seconds, Gomez tries a front headlock. Unsuccessfully. That's what happened to IMAR in the first Final X match.

              Now, I suspect that Burroughs wasn't close to peak condition for this match. Gomez wasn't. But it does show what good match strategy and tactics can do. You'd have to think that as IMAR is watching this match, he has to feel he can win.


              GO IMAR!!!
              Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 06-14-2019, 05:37 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                The IMAR ERA is coming. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said that IMAR told him two things: Congratulations, and see you next year.

                Good things happen to wrestlers who've shown they can beat Burroughs.

                GO IMAR!!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  PREDICTING THE FUTURE


                  In my mind and barring injury, Burroughs is 50/50 to win gold in the world championships. He's felt Sidakov and knows he'll have to score early against him. On the other hand, Sidakov now knows to expect the Burroughs reattack. I just think he'll be too slow and goofy-footed to stop them. I also believe that Burroughs is a lock to medal (again barring injury).

                  Here's why: He's scheduled to wrestle at the Pan Am Games and Yasar Dogu, which are both ranking tournaments. That will keep him on the opposite side of the bracket from Sidakov and maybe even Chamizo.(Although I think he's got Chamizo figured out now).

                  That means he'll get a bye to the final round showdown for the American Olympic spot next year. If IMAR improves half as much as he did this year, that will be a battle for the ages.

                  GO IMAR!!!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
                    PREDICTING THE FUTURE


                    In my mind and barring injury, Burroughs is 50/50 to win gold in the world championships. He's felt Sidakov and knows he'll have to score early against him. On the other hand, Sidakov now knows to expect the Burroughs reattack. I just think he'll be too slow and goofy-footed to stop them. I also believe that Burroughs is a lock to medal (again barring injury).

                    Here's why: He's scheduled to wrestle at the Pan Am Games and Yasar Dogu, which are both ranking tournaments. That will keep him on the opposite side of the bracket from Sidakov and maybe even Chamizo.(Although I think he's got Chamizo figured out now).

                    That means he'll get a bye to the final round showdown for the American Olympic spot next year. If IMAR improves half as much as he did this year, that will be a battle for the ages.

                    GO IMAR!!!
                    So what happened? Where did it come up short? Who was the most impressive out of all the participants? Who is most likely to win Gold at the Worlds - Kyle Snyder? (And is he undersized for Worlds? - Is there a weight limit?)
                    There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
                      So what happened? Where did it come up short? Who was the most impressive out of all the participants? Who is most likely to win Gold at the Worlds - Kyle Snyder? (And is he undersized for Worlds? - Is there a weight limit?)
                      Ya the weight limit is 97kg!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        IMar should wrestle for Mexico. He is World medalist caliber right now. America is just too deep. As a fellow person of Mexican heritage I know the country would support him far more than any American would support their team members.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by GrossNoises View Post
                          IMar should wrestle for Mexico. He is World medalist caliber right now. America is just too deep. As a fellow person of Mexican heritage I know the country would support him far more than any American would support their team members.
                          Itís not as easy as it seems. I know some that have tried

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Now that I've had a chance to go through the matches with slo-mo and look at the quick adjustments and re-adjustments, I have to say that IMAR and his coaching staff deserve a lot of credit.

                            An immense amount of credit.

                            Whereas last year, IMAR fought hard, he still seemed a little glad to be there. At this Final X, he tried to dominate. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said he was not going to wrestle any simulation matches again with IMAR. That says something right there. Some observations:

                            1. IMAR used the same attack that Burroughs has used over the years. By this, I mean the double leg attack that keeps pressing forward with quick duck walks and steps, pushes and jumps. IMAR is learning. He did it as well as the old master himself. This is an attack that IMAR will be able to use against anybody. I hope he remembers to keep that in his pocket when he's down a point or two in future matches.

                            2. IMAR started off the first match in the Franklin Gomez tailback stance, but he was much more aggressive than Gomez.

                            3. The weight issue is going to be an issue for the rest of Jordan Burroughs' competitive life. These are the new weigh-in rules, you better get used to them. (Also, I can't help but think that if a Nebraskan was weighing meth with the upstairs scale, he'd be accurate down to the micro-milligram. But that's just me being honest). On another note, Burroughs will likely never have a "home crowd" advantage again.

                            4. IMAR used the Roman Knuckle locks not to piss off Burroughs, but to defend. Brilliant!

                            5. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said that IMAR came within 6 minutes of beating him. I beg to differ. IMAR came within 9 seconds of winning. (I agree that Burroughs would've wrestled that second match differently, but if we are going to do hypotheticals....).

                            6. IMAR met Burroughs with his head and biceps and shoulder when Burroughs was trying to score to take the lead with short time. You know the Burroughs drive-to-push-you-off-the-mat thing. It was very close to working. Also, IMAR circled in.

                            7. IMAR is a mini-Sads or at least a mini-Yazdani. I think this guy is going to win a world championship if he stays injury free.

                            8. Will these fellows please wrestle again tomorrow?

                            9. The squeaky guy from Flo used to be wrong all the time, but he's now right most of the time. Winter weather advisory for Hell.



                            I don't know IMAR; never shook his hand, but damn, I'm proud of him and excited for his future! Is that wrong? I don't think so!

                            To be continued....

                            GO IMAR/IRTC!!!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              10. IMAR's superduck in the second period of the second match was very fast, beautiful technique …


                              11. … And he moved right into a brutal leglace. Watching Coach Poeta cheering after the points were awarded was bonus.


                              12. I'm probably the littlest donor that the ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER has. I'm po. But I had to pony up a few bucks for this. You can too, here. This will buy Zane or Jesse or Max or Ellis or Isaiah (but not all of them) one steak dinner at the Outback, but only an 8oz. steak. So, they need your help!

                              GO IRTC/IMAR!!!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
                                Now that I've had a chance to go through the matches with slo-mo and look at the quick adjustments and re-adjustments, I have to say that IMAR and his coaching staff deserve a lot of credit.

                                An immense amount of credit.

                                Whereas last year, IMAR fought hard, he still seemed a little glad to be there. At this Final X, he tried to dominate. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said he was not going to wrestle any simulation matches again with IMAR. That says something right there. Some observations:

                                1. IMAR used the same attack that Burroughs has used over the years. By this, I mean the double leg attack that keeps pressing forward with quick duck walks and steps, pushes and jumps. IMAR is learning. He did it as well as the old master himself. This is an attack that IMAR will be able to use against anybody. I hope he remembers to keep that in his pocket when he's down a point or two in future matches.

                                2. IMAR started off the first match in the Franklin Gomez tailback stance, but he was much more aggressive than Gomez.

                                3. The weight issue is going to be an issue for the rest of Jordan Burroughs' competitive life. These are the new weigh-in rules, you better get used to them. (Also, I can't help but think that if a Nebraskan was weighing meth with the upstairs scale, he'd be accurate down to the micro-milligram. But that's just me being honest). On another note, Burroughs will likely never have a "home crowd" advantage again.

                                4. IMAR used the Roman Knuckle locks not to piss off Burroughs, but to defend. Brilliant!

                                5. In his post-match interview, Burroughs said that IMAR came within 6 minutes of beating him. I beg to differ. IMAR came within 9 seconds of winning. (I agree that Burroughs would've wrestled that second match differently, but if we are going to do hypotheticals....).

                                6. IMAR met Burroughs with his head and biceps and shoulder when Burroughs was trying to score to take the lead with short time. You know the Burroughs drive-to-push-you-off-the-mat thing. It was very close to working. Also, IMAR circled in.

                                7. IMAR is a mini-Sads or at least a mini-Yazdani. I think this guy is going to win a world championship if he stays injury free.

                                8. Will these fellows please wrestle again tomorrow?

                                9. The squeaky guy from Flo used to be wrong all the time, but he's now right most of the time. Winter weather advisory for Hell.



                                I don't know IMAR; never shook his hand, but damn, I'm proud of him and excited for his future! Is that wrong? I don't think so!

                                To be continued....

                                GO IMAR/IRTC!!!
                                I-mar can hold his head high after these 3 matches with one of the greatest freestyle wrestlers the USA has produced. He fought Burroughs toe to toe and looked like he belonged on that stage. He'll be much better next year with more freestyle experience whereas Burroughs is already about as good as he is going to get.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X