Meanwhile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile,

... in news of Olympic Sports, the MVXI Olympiad is underway here in Tokyo. Today we check in on the Gold Medal match at 74 kilograms. Extra precautions are in full force at this time because of the ...

Comment

Meanwhile,

... in Olympic Games news, the IOC wants everybody to "Catch the Fever," so they're sponsoring a contest:

Comment

Meanwhile,

... in news of the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament, with pre-seeds supposedly coming out, we may find out today if Carl still has that itchy trigger finger:

... or maybe Plan "C" is not eligible?

Comment

Preseeds are out McKee #3 Cardiani #4 and Rivera got the #5 seed at 133.
          Cardiani #4 taking 8
          Piotrowski #4 taking 7
          Duncan #7 taking 8
          Jodeh #13 seeded 3 spots out
          Barone #8 seeded 2 spots out
          Braunagel #7 taking 8
          Gunther #7 taking 9
          Braunagel #7 taking 10
          Wroblewski #11 seeded 5 spots out
          Luffman #9 seeded 2 spots out

Illinois has 6 guys that are seeded to make the Ncaa tournament

Comment

Meanwhile,

... in tonight's medical news, we are reporting on a new sexual abuse charge brought by a wrestler at the University of Michigan against that school's team physician. This has caught the attention of the Centers for Disease Control, which has provided a new "Heat Map" and "Test Kit and Questionnaire."

If you live in a non-ORANGE area of the map, call the CDC and receive a free Test Kit and Questionnaire:

Comment

Semifinal Matchups
              125 #1 Spencer Lee (Iowa) vs #22 Jack Medley (Michigan)

125 #6 Devin Schroder (Purdue) vs #12 Michael Deaugustino (Northwestern)

133 #1 Seth Gross (Wisconsin) vs #3 Sebastian Rivera (Northwestern)

133 #2 Austin Desanto (Iowa) vs #4 Roman Bravo-young (Penn State)

141 #1 Nick Lee (Penn State) vs #4 Chad Red Jr (Nebraska)

141 #2 Luke Pletcher (Ohio State) vs #6 Mitchell Mckee (Minnesota)

149 #1 Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) vs #11 Kanen Storr (Michigan)

149 #2 Pat Lugo (Iowa) vs #11 Brayton Lee (Minnesota)

157 #1 Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) vs #8 Will Lewan (Michigan)

157 #7 Kendall Coleman (Purdue) vs Peyton Robb (Nebraska)

165 #1 Vincenzo Joseph (Penn State) vs #5 Isaiah White (Nebraska)

165 #1 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs #12 Shayne Oster (Northwestern)

174 #1 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) vs #6 Devin Skatzka (Minnesota)

174 #2 Mark Hall (Penn State) vs #4 Dylan Lydy (Purdue)

184 #6 Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs #10 Taylor Venz (Nebraska)

184 #7 Cameron Caffey (Michigan State) vs #9 Abe Assad (Iowa)

197 #1 Kollin Moore vs #10 Lucas Davison (Northwestern)

197 #18 Shakur Rasheed (Penn State) vs #8 Eric Schultz (Nebraska)

285 #2 Mason Parris (Michigan) vs #5 Trent Hillger (Wisconsin)

285 #1 Gable Steveson (Minnesota) vs #3 Anthony Cassioppi (Iowa)
              sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

How many above from IHSA = 5 ?
                There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Comment

I got 7 guys

Comment

Originally posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
                    How many above from IHSA = 5 ?
                    8 total:

157 - Lewan (Montini)
                    157 - Coleman (Mt. Carmel)
                    165 - White (OPRF)
                    165 - Oster (Lockport)
                    184 - Caffey (Carbondale)
                    184 - Assad (Glenbard North?)
                    197 - Schultz (Tinley Park)
                    285 - Cassioppi (Hononegah)

Comment

Originally posted by SIWrestlingDad View Post
                      8 total:

157 - Lewan (Montini)
                      157 - Coleman (Mt. Carmel)
                      165 - White (OPRF)
                      165 - Oster (Lockport)
                      184 - Caffey (Carbondale)
                      184 - Assad (Glenbard North?)
                      197 - Schultz (Tinley Park)
                      285 - Cassioppi (Hononegah)
                      8 guys in 10 weight classes is a solid showing for IL wrestlers. And honestly Illinois is harder academically than most school in the big 10 - that will always weigh heavy on their sports success, although not a valid excuse because other sports have sometimes done pretty good.
                      There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Comment

Originally posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
                        8 guys in 10 weight classes is a solid showing for IL wrestlers. And honestly Illinois is harder academically than most school in the big 10 - that will always weigh heavy on their sports success, although not a valid excuse because other sports have sometimes done pretty good.
                        Those are IHSA wrestlers not U of I wrestlers.

Comment

MEANWHILE, ...

In wrestling news, the NCAA has cancelled all remaining championship events, including wrestling. Everybody gets an "A" and you can start your Summer vacation now. The American Wrestling Writers Association ("AWWA") has held a vote on Champions and All-Americans in the various weight classes. This was their press release:

Myrtle Beach, SC. The American Wrestling Writers Association has crowned the University of ILLINOIS the team champions of the 2020 NCAA Division One wrestling tournament with a final score of 208.5 points. The team race point totals were as follows:

1. ILLINOIS 208.5 points
                          2. Iowa 121 points
                          3. Nebraska 83 points
                          4. Ohio State 64 points

Travis Piotrowski and Eric Barone were voted the co-Most Outstanding Wrestlers of the tournament.

Comment

MEANWHILE,

Comment

Meanwhile,

... in send off news. The ILLINI are sending off some Seniors who have meant a lot to the program. There are a lot of career wins, dual wins and NCAA wins from this crew. Meanwhile, on Earth 2, the ILLINI are kicking butt in the first couple rounds of the NCAA tournament with big upsets from Barone and Gunther. Piotrowski is steaming ahead and has just pinned Rutgers Sammy Alvarez again.

Here's a great piece from a recent Champaign News-Gazette article about Travis Piotrowski:

He concluded his senior season with a 27-4 record while competing at 133 pounds. A four-time NCAA qualifier, Piotrowski is still coming to grips with the fact his college career ended before it was scheduled to.

"It still really hasn't set in that this is it," Piotrowski said. "I don't think it will for a little bit, honestly, but it's just out of our control. If I even got the opportunity to wrestle and went 0-2 at nationals, I still would have felt way better than I did not even getting a chance to compete. It's just an opportunity that's taken from us. It doesn't seem real."
                              I wanted to include a photo essay showing Pio's last match as an ILLINI against Top Ten Sammy Alvarez of Rutgers, but I can't find that match on youtube. I got to see it on BTN+, and it reminded me of a pack of wolves on the hunt. Instead, this was the end of the ILLINI's match against the same Sammy Alvarez during the dual in Piscataway, New Jersey:

Then, we have Eric Barone with two Top Ten wins at the BTT. I could've gone with the splatter of Kaleb Young on the mat, but instead I've gotta go with the Will Lewan takedown for reasons that will become apparent:

Here is the tweet where you can see this sequence. I just realized that the end of Pio's match with Alvarez at the Big Ten Tournament is also shown in this tweet. Go check it out. Real pack of wolves stuff.

Then, you have Joey "Guns" Gunther. A three-year starter and four-year National Qualifier, I was hoping to see him take it to the next level at the Big Dance. My favorite Guns Moment was from the OSU dual last year. He's wrestling Kaleb Romero, and it comes down to the final takedown:

Here's the Gunther video I finally found that takedown on.

For Mousa Jodeh, there's always the memories of him giving his all during a great dual season for the ILLINI, as well as how he came within an erg in Sudden Victory of beating Alex Hrisopolous of Michigan State and going to the Big Dance.

GO ILLINI!!!

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 03-20-2020, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Meanwhile,

In Olympic News, the IOC has formally announced what many had anticipated. The 2020 Olympiad will be rescheduled for 2021. The news is no shock given the current global pandemic, but it will likely affect many athletes who were set to retire after the Games.

For example, former Olympian Jordan Burroughs will be 65 years old in 2021 and will have to compete against much younger athletes for a spot on the American freestyle wrestling team.

On the other hand, Kyle Dake will celebrate his sixty-second birthday and his first Social Security check in June 2021. He will also have to keep up with the much younger wolves sniffing at his heels:

Good luck to all the athletes, young and old!

Comment

Working...
                                X