Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ominous Sign For Sport of Wrestling

The first paragraph of an article that I saw:

Five major football conference commissioners have asked the NCAA to relax some requirements to compete in Division I for four years, including the minimum number of sports a school must sponsor.

The pandemic has crippled college operating budgets. If granted permission to drop sports .....
    I have a bad feeling that college wrestling is about to take a huge hit.

Lauden
    "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

I have a bad feeling your right.

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
      The first paragraph of an article that I saw:

Five major football conference commissioners have asked the NCAA to relax some requirements to compete in Division I for four years, including the minimum number of sports a school must sponsor.

The pandemic has crippled college operating budgets. If granted permission to drop sports .....
      I have a bad feeling that college wrestling is about to take a huge hit.

Lauden
      Could be any non-revenue sports. Cincinnati just killed their perrenial top 20 soccer team.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Turban View Post
        Could be any non-revenue sports. Cincinnati just killed their perrenial top 20 soccer team.
        While that's true,Title 9 has made non revenue sports without a women's equivalent the usual budget casualties. Wrestling was making strides to add women which would have provided more cover in the future but that may be stalled as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
          While that's true,Title 9 has made non revenue sports without a women's equivalent the usual budget casualties. Wrestling was making strides to add women which would have provided more cover in the future but that may be stalled as well.
          Ah. Had not thought of that. We def need to figure out how to create more self funding programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Turban View Post
            Ah. Had not thought of that. We def need to figure out how to create more self funding programs.
            I'm curious, how much does it cost to fund a D1 wrestling program?

Comment

Originally posted by GETOFFYOURHIP View Post
              I'm curious, how much does it cost to fund a D1 wrestling program?
              Apparently ODU was $1 million. I'd consider them to have been a top tier program as far as funding, so I wouldn't imagine it to be much higher or lower, even at an Iowa, PSU, Okie St, Ohio St.

Using endowments only to fund programs seems unreasonable though. Responsible endowments set expenditure limits at 4% maximum. Years like we are currently in would drive most endowments of all types to set expenditures to bottom limits, which many have set at 1% or even less, down to zero. In the best years, you would have to have $25 mil to fund an annual $1 million program, but the endowment funds would have to return an average 8% per year.

A combo funding program seems best. Find marketable revenue drivers like tournaments/ticket sales, to go along with grass roots fundraisers and major donor giving, maybe throw in some sponsorship $$$, maybe endow 10-20% or so. That seems like a realistic plan that every non-revenue sport at every school should be racing to put together right now.

Comment

Wouldn’t you think without wrestling they loose 20-30 kids paying $10k ish a year also?

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
                  Agreed. Although things could change going forward, I have not heard of any women's sports teams being eliminated.

Comment

does the 1M include cost of whatever tuition, books, room/board are scholarshipped? who is charged for that? How do they "balance the books"? 1M/yr seems high? PSU v. ODU comparable? I doubt all coaches on ODU payroll combined make 2/3 of what Cael alome makes?

Comment

For reference the total Illini coaching salary budget for wrestling is around $415k.

Other salaries for sports at illinois when specifically designated (does not include trainers/academic/admin not assigned to specific sport):

Football $8,582,400
                      Mens Basketball $4,358,000
                      Womens basketball $1,280,800
                      Volleyball $600,400
                      Baseball $587,000
                      Track (both M and W) $578,700
                      Mens Golf $467,200
                      Womens Gymnastics $350,000
                      Softball $299,100
                      Mens Tennis $294,000
                      Womens Soccer $287,000
                      Womens Tennis $263,000
                      Mens Gymnastics $219,800
                      Swimming/diving $194,300
                      Womens Golf $157,000
                      Cheerleading $24,000
                      Last edited by jay31; 04-16-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Big Step in the right direction

The following is part of an article on TrackWrestling. This is about half the article. Read the whole article to get more details.

Wrestling and other Olympic sports scored a big win Friday in the battle to maintain their major college foothold when the NCAA’s Division I Council denied a request to temporarily waive the minimum number of sports required to be a D-1 member.
                        Yahoo Sports reported earlier this month that it had obtained a joint letter to NCAA president Mark Emmert from the commissioners of the Group of Five conferences — the AAC, Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt and Conference USA — asking for “temporary relief from several regulatory requirements for a period of up to four years” with hopes that “short term relief” would provide “opportunity for institutions to retrench and rebuild the financial structures of the institution.”
                        The Group of Five commissioners sought relief from the NCAA’s legislation requiring every Football Bowl Subdivision school to sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports.
                        The NCAA announced Friday that a request made by the five FBS conference commissioners to waive numerous D-1 requirements would be considered, but a blanket waiver allowing schools to drop below the 16-sport minimum would be considered only on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

Working...
                        X