Bad Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Cut

It was about 15 years ago when I first floated some of the “out there” conspiracy theories I was lambasted for... the same ones we see and now accept as part of life.

But even before then... I was ridiculed for calling out weight-cutting evils and advocating for matside weigh-ins.

And now from Flowrestling comes “Bad Cut” and about half of the comments on it calling for matside weigh-ins to become the new standard for our sport.

Not the issue at the college level that it is in HS and especially Youth levels but if only NCAA could lead the way.
    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon

Im all for it, I never liked the idea of cutting and my boys never did it, a few lbs here or there but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by HuffHall View Post
      Im all for it, I never liked the idea of cutting and my boys never did it, a few lbs here or there but that's it.
      It takes time for change to set in. In high school (a long, long time ago), we could pretty much do anything to cut weight, including wearing plastics every day during practice. I would routinely lose 4-6 lbs. in a practice. In college, we were not allowed to wear anything except practice gear, but outside of practice we were not restricted. When my kids were wrestling, the schools and coaches were much more vigilant about limiting weight loss during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by dadudaman4 View Post
        It takes time for change to set in. In high school (a long, long time ago), we could pretty much do anything to cut weight, including wearing plastics every day during practice. I would routinely lose 4-6 lbs. in a practice. In college, we were not allowed to wear anything except practice gear, but outside of practice we were not restricted. When my kids were wrestling, the schools and coaches were much more vigilant about limiting weight loss during the season.
        I remember those days. Doing calisthenics in a sauna with a plastic suit on. Not the smartest thing I ever did. MMA has some bad cuts too.

Comment

Originally posted by exwrestler155 View Post
          I remember those days. Doing calisthenics in a sauna with a plastic suit on. Not the smartest thing I ever did. MMA has some bad cuts too.
          I remember my younger brother in high school who would steam up the bathroom, put on his plastics, and start doing exercises for about an hour while chewing gum and spitting out the saliva. He would do this 2-3 times a day.
          After each meet in high school, I would eat like a horse. My favorite meal was White Caste hamburgers. Man, I crave them to this day. I would routinely show up for practice on Monday 6-8 lbs. overweight, and the whole process would begin all over again. Ahhh the good old days.

Comment

I remember my younger brother in high school who would steam up the bathroom, put on his plastics, and start doing exercises for about an hour while chewing gum and spitting out the saliva. He would do this 2-3 times a day.
            After each meet in high school, I would eat like a horse. My favorite meal was White Caste hamburgers. Man, I crave them to this day. I would routinely show up for practice on Monday 6-8 lbs. overweight, and the whole process would begin all over again. Ahhh the good old days.
            Oh yeah, the good old days! 6 to 8 over? **** I was 10 to 12 every Monday. Looking back, not healthy. But there was a hole at 1:32 and the 138 is already all state. See, we all have a lot More in common then has been going on in these boards lately! Thanks for the memories! Iím gonna put away a large pizza tonight as a tribute to those days.
            Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

Got me laughing with the White Castle cravings. Good thing the closest one was 45 minutes away from where I grew up, at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by exwrestler155 View Post
                Got me laughing with the White Castle cravings. Good thing the closest one was 45 minutes away from where I grew up, at the time.
                Gyros, tacos and Italian Beefs....

Those days in the steam room with plastics and 2-3 sweatsuits on were the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
                  Gyros, tacos and Italian Beefs....

Those days in the steam room with plastics and 2-3 sweatsuits on were the worst.
                  Damn....I'm impressed. That's a heck of a menu for a starving HS wrestler.

I cut A LOT of weight my senior year and used to crave things like Hostess blueberry pies and spoonfuls of peanut butter. Strange, I know.

Comment

I think the big thing that needs to change is that cutting weight needs to stop being a badge of honor. I made a few really tough 18-22 lbs cuts that had a negative impact on my performance and probably set me back. The second half of my sophomore year things changed to day of weigh-ins and the weight classes changed. My biggest fear was would I be competitive at a higher weight class. I was actually better being bigger and no longer cutting weight, but simply managing it.

Good wrestlers, fighters, and boxers will win on their talents more so than on what weight they wrestle. Use the extra workouts to focus on being better and not spend them in anxiety about whether you lost enough weight that you can have a Gatorade or dreaming about the slurpy machine after you make weight (my fascination).

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
                      Damn....I'm impressed. That's a heck of a menu for a starving HS wrestler.

I cut A LOT of weight my senior year and used to crave things like Hostess blueberry pies and spoonfuls of peanut butter. Strange, I know.
                      You didn't know that gyros had increased metabolism and fat burning qualities, plus they were low calorie and actually reduced heart disease and lowered cholesterol?

Come on man, get with it.
                      All the cool kids are doing it.
                      It's the new Kronos diet that's making Keto obsolete....

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
                        You didn't know that gyros had increased metabolism and fat burning qualities, plus they were low calorie and actually reduced heart disease and lowered cholesterol?

Come on man, get with it.
                        All the cool kids are doing it.
                        It's the new Kronos diet that's making Keto obsolete....
                        Who knew! The killer for me was that there was a White Castle right on the corner where I waited for the bus to go home after meets. After a number of "sliders", I went home in a food induced stupor. Good times!!!

Comment

Weight cut

What, the days of riding the Schwinn Air-Dyne in the sauna with plastics with two pair of sweats and a wool cap are over? LOL. 12 over on a Monday was a good week for me. A 6-10 pounds weight loss during a hard practice was what you were going for.

Comment

Originally posted by J.J. View Post
                            What, the days of riding the Schwinn Air-Dyne in the sauna with plastics with two pair of sweats and a wool cap are over? LOL. 12 over on a Monday was a good week for me. A 6-10 pounds weight loss during a hard practice was what you were going for.
                            Oh yes....I remember those days...we had the urinals that were built into the terrazzo floors. On break go in stand at urinal and "Untuck" the elastic waist band on plastic top and pour the sweat pouch into the urinal...usually about 4# of sweat at that break, probably another 2# after practice doing same thing, before we ran. three pairs of socks every practice...absolutely drenched. WHY AND HOW COUOD I POSSIBLY MISS THIS ??????

Comment

Working...
                            X