Best Rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rivalries

I stole this idea from Twist on the AA board, but what are some of the best rivalries that you guys can recall. I am talking about matches that were pretty close and they exchanged wins. One that comes to mind for me is....Alex Tirapelle vs. Ryan Bertin. I think these two finished their careers with 4-4 record against each other. Tirapelle beat Bertin 2x for the Big 10 championship and Bertin beat Tirapelle 2x at the NCAA tourney. Once to win the title and the other time for 3rd place. In the dual meet Tirapelles' junior year/Bertins' senior year, I remember there being a CRAZY scramble at the end of the match with Tirapelle barely falling short of getting the 2 points. I mean it was close. Bertin held on for the 1 point win and the dual ended in a tie. Anyway I thought they had a good rivalry.
    Last edited by BARR; 10-04-2006, 09:53 AM.
    "When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.

Teams Too?

Okay, I am going out of state for this one but ....

I am going to try an get to the Iowa - Iowa State dual this December. Everything I hear about it can be summed up as intense.

Comment

For this, we have to leave the state....

For individuals in DI I have to say Cary Kolat v. TJ Jaworsky. Whether it was the midlands or the nationals, they wrestled each other at a different level.

Also dont forget Fried v. Tom Brands at 134. Fried caught Brands in the MIdlands and pinned him, Brands than defeated Fried in the NCAA finals 6-2.

For IL, Bormet Always won, but they were close matches... Wirnsberger (sp???) from MICH ST always wrestled him tough.

Going waaay back, how bout Owings v. Gable?

Comment

I don't know if they had a rivalry, but Joe Williams and Ernest Benion had a some close matches. I know Benion beat Williams once for the Big 10 title 2-1 in O.T. and Williams beat Benion once for the NCAA title 9-8. I don't know how many times they wrestled throughout their careers though.
        "When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by BARR View Post
          I stole this idea from Twist on the AA board, but what are some of the best rivalries that you guys can recall. I am talking about matches that were pretty close and they exchanged wins. One that comes to mind for me is....Alex Tirapelle vs. Ryan Bertin. I think these finished their careers with 4-4 record against each other. Tirapelle beat Bertin 2x for the Big 10 championship and Bertin beat Tirapelle 2x at the NCAA tourney. Once to win the title and the other time for 3rd place. In the dual meet Tirapelles' junior year/Bertins' senior year, I remember there being a CRAZY scramble at the end of the match with Tirapelle barely falling short of getting the 2 points. I mean it was close. Bertin held on for the 1 point win and the dual ended in a tie. Anyway I thought they had a good rivalry.
          Yeah there even except for the fact that Bertin has a couple plaques on the wall that Tirapelle doesn't have
          Is there no one else?

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles View Post
            Yeah there even except for the fact that Bertin has a couple plaques on the wall that Tirapelle doesn't have
            Bertin was my favorite wrestler when he wrestled and you are right Bertin has 2 NCAA brackets with Tirapelle's name in them (which he beat Tirapelle in the finals 1x to get it), but Tirapelle also has 2 Big 10 brackets with Bertin's name in them (which he happened to beat Bertin in the finals both times to get). Bertin only had one loss his Senior year and it was to Tirapelle in the Big 10 finals. Yes the NCAA's are better and I pointed out that Bertin won when they wrestled at the NCAA's. And yes Bertin was a 2x NCAA champ and 4x AA, where Tirapelle was a 2x AA and never a NCAA champ. Bertin was never a Big 10 champ but a 2x NCAA champ. Tirapelle was a 2x Big 10 champ and never an NCAA champ. Bertin definitely had the better career. None of that changes the fact that when they wrestled head to head it was even and a good rivalry. Which is what the point of this thread was about.
            Last edited by BARR; 10-04-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Another one that I thought of while thinking of the Bertin and Tirapelle matches. Nate Carr and Kenny Monday. Again I don't know how many times they wrestled in there careers but I do know that in they wrestled in the conference finals and then the NCAA finals in back to back years. Here are the results.....

1982 Big 8 finals Kenny Monday pinned Nate Carr
              1982 NCAA finals Nate Carr beat Kenny Monday in O.T.
              1983 Big 8 finals Kenny Monday beat Nate Carr 10-5
              1983 NCAA finals Nate Carr beat Kenny Monday in O.T. again

Again I don't know how many times they wrestled and I would bet they wrestled in some duals, but I think these 4 matches alone make it a good rivalry. An intersting side note. In 1984 Kenny Monday lost in the Big 8 finals in O.T., but won the NCAA title that year.

Comment

Originally posted by BARR View Post
                I don't know if they had a rivalry, but Joe Williams and Ernest Benion had a some close matches. I know Benion beat Williams once for the Big 10 title 2-1 in O.T. and Williams beat Benion once for the NCAA title 9-8. I don't know how many times they wrestled throughout their careers though.
                I always give Benion props. He stepped up all the time. He came out of no where his soph year to win the NCAA's. And then went on to 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

How bout Marianetti vs. McIlvary? It was Lincoln in the Big 10's, then Steve in the NCAA's, which was one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen. They only wrestled twice (I believe), but an upset that huge might be able to be categorized here.

Comment

Originally posted by redskinpride View Post
                  I always give Benion props. He stepped up all the time. He came out of no where his soph year to win the NCAA's. And then went on to 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

How bout Marianetti vs. McIlvary? It was Lincoln in the Big 10's, then Steve in the NCAA's, which was one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen. They only wrestled twice (I believe), but an upset that huge might be able to be categorized here.
                  I wouldn't consider that a rivalry, it was more Marianetti upsetting lincoln once for a very thrilling NCAA final their senior year.
                  Is there no one else?

Comment

Mocco vs. Rowlands

Lockhart vs Rowlands/Lowney.

these were always close ones and Mocco v Rowlands was always very intense. Lockhart had some big wins ove both Rowlands and Lowney at the NCAA's.

Also Matt Lackey and Joe Heskett had some good wins,I believe the series was 2-1 in favor of Heskett.

Comment

I wouldn't consider that a rivalry, it was more Marianetti upsetting lincoln once for a very thrilling NCAA final their senior year.

He won the only time it counted

Comment

How about Pritzlaff and Heskett? I know Heskett beat Pritzlaff at the 1999 NCAA's in the wrestlebacks (Heskett took 3rd and Pritzlaff took 5th) and then Pritzlaff beat Heskett in O.T. in both the 2000 and 2001 NCAA finals. They are still going at it and trading wins in Freestyle. These guys have been battling for years and it is always close one way or the other.

Comment

With this topic you gotta throw in Kendall Cross and Terry Brands, they had some epic battles through out the years from the NCAA's all the way to the World Team Trials. Almost every time it was great match.
                          If you're going through hell, keep going

- Winston Churchill

Comment

1995, the year of this match, was actually Marianetti's Senior year, but McIlravy's Junior year. McIlravey then redshirted in 1996 and won the title as a Senior in 1997.

Comment

What ever happened to McIlravey is he still wrestling or coaching somewhere He was one of my favorite wrestlers to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X