Super 32 Champ Christian Carroll Commits to the Illini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 32 Champ Christian Carroll Commits to the Illini

Coach Poeta is at it again, picking up another blue chipper from the Class of '23. Christian Carroll will provide some much needed upperweight talent to the Illini lineup. He is Flo's #3 overall ranked recruit for the class of '23. Poeta already has a verbal commitment from #21 overall Kannon Webster. Provided that these guys actually follow through and sign, the recruiting class of 2023 could shake out to be one of the best for the Illini in a LONG time. Here's hoping he's nowhere near done. I think everybody knows that for Poeta to prove that he was a great hire that he has to raise the talent in the room significantly for starters .With that being said, he's well on his way to doing just that.
    With the recruiting period back open after a 15-month hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, coaches and student-athletes are back in communication. With that, verbal pledges are being made left and right (or so it seems).  Earlier this week, Cody Chittum, a Class of 2023 standout, gave a verbal commitment to the University of Minnesota. Well, just […]

Yes, I hope this is the start of something big for the Illini. We need guys like this to catch up to Iowa and Penn State.

Comment

I should put this here as well,

And since there's been mention of Kannon,

Comment

Just thinking out loud here about the video of Poeta's introduction to the team as the new head coach and one of the things he said. It struck me as a good optimistic thing to say.

He said something along the lines of how the ILLINI would be challenging for championships. I thought that was a good dream to have. But with the stud recruits coming in this next year and guys like Pucino and Byrd with four more years and Top Twenty brutes like Christian Carroll and Kannon Webster, I think it is a possible dream to have.

GO ILLINI!!!

Comment

Some exciting times ahead for sure Chief. Lets hope fans get out to the State Farm center next year and years to come to watch these young men compete.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if the team could get 10,000 people in Assembly Hall for meets? That's what Iowa and PSU get and it must help recruiting.

Comment

I believe the people will come maybe not right away but that was exactly what I was thinking when I made my post. Go Illini

Comment

Originally posted by HuffHall View Post
                Some exciting times ahead for sure Chief. Lets hope fans get out to the State Farm center next year and years to come to watch these young men compete.
                These are exciting times! I was coming back to post exactly that. You already did.

As for attendance, I think the "build it, and they will come" meme works here. I remember when Poeta and the Tirapelles and those great teams were wrestling and challenging for podium finishes, I'd have to get to Huff Hall early for a good seat. A little late, and I'd have to sit in that second tier of seats. That would piss me off, but it was good to see all the fans, especially all the high school wrestlers and whole wrestling teams in the crowd.

That would be the next step.

With the move to the Assembly Hall/State Farm Center, the excellent marketing from the Athletic Department, an Athletic Director like Josh Whitman--who seems to be invested in our sport--and the ILLINI stars showing up on that big lighted electronic billboard by that unique UFO-shaped facility, I'm properly excited for the ILLINI. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by dadudaman4 View Post
                  Wouldn't it be great if the team could get 10,000 people in Assembly Hall for meets? That's what Iowa and PSU get and it must help recruiting.
                  That would be awesome. I'm a little afraid of what happens if we don't get attendance numbers up significantly though. When I was in school, I loved going to wrestling duals and volleyball matches at Huff. A couple thousand people in that place and it would be rocking and loud. The women's basketball team played at Assembly Hall and a couple thousand people in there sounded like a funeral. It seemed empty and quiet and no energy. If you're going to move to the big arena, you better get butts in the seats.

Comment

Working...
                  X