X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergpride165
    replied
    Lp v Provi

Maybe well just to start a roit untill they dual in 2009/10... Tell me that wouldt be a big crowd. Taken into consideration the wrestlers coming back from both schools. They will both be top 5-10 again next year

Leave a comment:

• barzagar
    replied
    Originally posted by wrestle21 View Post
    Exactly... the IHSA makes Regional Champion as the only qualification to get into the "Team" tournamnet....

Lets put this in Football Terms...

Automatic Bids for the football playoffs is the conference Champions. What if there was no other way to get into the playoffs. You would have Mt.Carmel, Providence, Brother Rice, & St Rita all battling for one playoff spot. Meanwhile, champs from other conferences that could not compete with the non-qualifying CCL teams would get in.

This is basically what we have in wrestling. Top Tier teams Neuqua, Plainfield Central, and Lockport have been denied a chance to wrestle in the "Playoffs" because of their regional assignment. In a Dual, any of those three could beat any other team in the state on any given day. But they were not given a chance to dual anyone to prove it in the post season.
    i agree with what you are saying however i feel plainfield has lost the right to be mentioned with those teams. it seems like they peaked at the beginning of the season [barrington and minooka dual] and have steadily gotten worse as the season goes on, hence their horrific showing at sectionals

my rankings
    oprf and minooka are both about equal i think

then prov and lockport and nv are all about the same level

gbn plainfield and whoever else

Leave a comment:

• Jethro
    replied
    Sounds Like an easy fix.

How to get the IHSA to do it?

Leave a comment:

• kidcoach
    replied
    I've thought for years that they need to go back to qualifying the top two teams from regionals. Then for sectionals, Region A 2nd Place wrestles Region B 1st place and vice versa. Then the winners meet. Doesn't create another date needed as you can still wrestle both meets on the same night.

Leave a comment:

• Jethro
    replied
    If they just took the 1 and 2 from each Regional and wrestled 2 matches at team sectional maybe it would calm everyone.

Leave a comment:

• wrstl4fun13
    replied
    Which should be changed also. Just because you have one or two studs that can score a lot of points at the state meet doesn't mean your team is great. I like the dual team championships, it gives a better measure of a good TEAM, not a few individuals.

Leave a comment:

• wrestle21
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainefan View Post
    The difference is that in wrestling we have both individual and team championships. I'd like to see a comparison to other sports that have both. Does tennis and gymnastics have 2 championships?
    Good Point....In track there is only one championship....the individual state meet where team points are kept. You get a couple good sprinters and you can get yourself a trophy off the back(or legs) of 1 or 2 kids.

Leave a comment:

• wrstl4fun13
    replied
    While teams like Mt. Carmel and St. Rita are in even though they would lose to a Lockport, Nequa or Plainfield Central.

Leave a comment:

• Mainefan
    replied
    Team State

The difference is that in wrestling we have both individual and team championships. I'd like to see a comparison to other sports that have both. Does tennis and gymnastics have 2 championships?

Leave a comment:

• wrestle21
    replied
    Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
    I just thought about something.

Why is wrestling limited to an eight (8) team championship while sports like football, basketball and other sports have 12, 24 and 32 state team championship tournaments?

It has been clear for years that the state has more than eight teams that could compete for a state title. I personally think more teams means more interest in wrestling.
    Exactly... the IHSA makes Regional Champion as the only qualification to get into the "Team" tournamnet....

Lets put this in Football Terms...

Automatic Bids for the football playoffs is the conference Champions. What if there was no other way to get into the playoffs. You would have Mt.Carmel, Providence, Brother Rice, & St Rita all battling for one playoff spot. Meanwhile, champs from other conferences that could not compete with the non-qualifying CCL teams would get in.

This is basically what we have in wrestling. Top Tier teams Neuqua, Plainfield Central, and Lockport have been denied a chance to wrestle in the "Playoffs" because of their regional assignment. In a Dual, any of those three could beat any other team in the state on any given day. But they were not given a chance to dual anyone to prove it in the post season.

Leave a comment:

• MR TWISTER
    replied
    I just thought about something.

Why is wrestling limited to an eight (8) team championship while sports like football, basketball and other sports have 12, 24 and 32 state team championship tournaments?

It has been clear for years that the state has more than eight teams that could compete for a state title. I personally think more teams means more interest in wrestling.

Leave a comment:

• Big Mat
    replied
    Illinois State Team Championship

Originally posted by next View Post
    the score that matters the most is Qualifiers Lockport 6 Providence 4 and that was this year not 5 years ago or 20 years ago thats the present
    No, the team score that matters the most was the Individual Regional and PC won. There is no Team Regional in the State of Illinois. PC's team in still in the hunt for the team state championship, and Lockport's team is done. The Illinios sytem sinks and should be change, but PC is still alive for a team championship. Lockport has a very good team, and should be in the real team tournament!!

Leave a comment:

• archman
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Mat View Post
    They don't keep team score at individual sectionals, so the record is 1-1. The IHSA system is bad, but PC did win the time it counted.
    Can you name another sport in Illinois high school sports they don't keep a score at sectional?. I kept it. Lockport 103 points led all teams at sectional. If provi gets past Minooka, I will cheer for them. BUT for NOW GO INDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by archman; 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• next
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Mat View Post
    They don't keep team score at individual sectionals, so the record is 1-1. The IHSA system is bad, but PC did win the time it counted.
    the score that matters the most is Qualifiers Lockport 6 Providence 4 and that was this year not 5 years ago or 20 years ago thats the present

Leave a comment:

• mckbln
    replied
    Originally posted by maddog81 View Post
    We have been saying that from day 1. There are teams that much up well against them in the lower weights but from 160-285 nobody can beat them.
    We actually match up pretty well from 189-285....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X