Upsets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upsets?

Do you guys think that their have been so many upsets just because of nervs or what?

Great individuals and great teams always find a way to peak at the right time of the season. I think if you look at this weekend's sectional results, you will see that some teams and individuals probably peaked too early in the season. I am not putting Klimara in this category because I think he just got caught and will still be the favorite to win 103lbs.

I do not think nerves have anything to do with all the upsets. Once you get on the mat and wrestle those nerves should go away and every kid has to deal with the same nerves during state time.

Comment

I would disagree with that. I think the favorite always has more nerves in a big match because the other wrestler has nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by lvillewrestling2 View Post
        I would disagree with that. I think the favorite always has more nerves in a big match because the other wrestler has nothing to lose.
        ok. I talked to a guy named Doug Schwab and asked him about Metcalf. He said people are scared shitless to wrestle him and more worried about surving than winning. If your that good than the weaker oppoenet should be worrying about suriving not winning
        on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

Comment

I see it the other way. Kids that are favorites usually get overconfident when they wrestle kids they are supposed to beat. Trust me...coaches are always in fear of overconfidence rather than nerves.

As far as the upsets are concerned, I do not see that many. Klimara was a huge upset but he got caught and other than that I think the better kids won this weekend. As I stated earlier, peaking at the right time of the season is important when it comes to performing well during the state series.

I knew Mark Schwab back in the day. I agree with Doug's analysis regarding Metcalf. Cael Sanderson and Joe Williams were the same way. Kids did not try to beat them, they just tried to last three periods against them. That was the same with Mark Schwab when he was in high school. Although he was the best wrestler at the time in Iowa, kids were afraid before they even got on the mat against Mark.
          Last edited by John H; 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

You peak by scheduleing the toughest schedule possible. Theres a reason Illinois hasnt won a ironman tittle yet and you guys think im crazy
            on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

Comment

I really am starting to dislike the word "caught" when referring to a kids win. The underdog seems to be getting his hard work and great win discredited with the word caught attached to his win. It's like the pc way to say that someone got lucky. If a kid busts his backside for a match and comes out with a win after hitting a move that either of them could have hit than why is the underdog lucky? Maybe i'm ranting or barking up the wrong tree, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Putting the word caught next to a win is totally discrediting.

Comment

ZB Coach

While I understand your frustration, when a good wrestler is "caught" by another good wrestler, even if it is the underdog, no-one is discrediting the underdog. The underdog had to hit them move to catch the other wrestler. And I did not see anyone say it was lucky. And, just because a kid got "caught", it does not mean that he is less skilled than the kid who caught him.......it is wrestling. I give the kid who "caught" the other kid credit, but I know the one who will caught will be back.
                Practice Does Not Make Perfect.......It Makes Champions

Comment

caught

Originally posted by ZBCOACH View Post
                  I really am starting to dislike the word "caught" when referring to a kids win. The underdog seems to be getting his hard work and great win discredited with the word caught attached to his win. It's like the pc way to say that someone got lucky. If a kid busts his backside for a match and comes out with a win after hitting a move that either of them could have hit than why is the underdog lucky? Maybe i'm ranting or barking up the wrong tree, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Putting the word caught next to a win is totally discrediting.
                  Right arm brutha!... I'm with ya on that one. Don't let em wiggle out of it.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from but... the score is 12-1 and the underdog hits a move, can we refer to that is caught??????? I would.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                      I see it the other way. Kids that are favorites usually get overconfident when they wrestle kids they are supposed to beat. Trust me...coaches are always in fear of overconfidence rather than nerves.

As far as the upsets are concerned, I do not see that many. Klimara was a huge upset but he got caught and other than that I think the better kids won this weekend. As I stated earlier, peaking at the right time of the season is important when it comes to performing well during the state series.

I knew Mark Schwab back in the day. I agree with Doug's analysis regarding Metcalf. Cael Sanderson and Joe Williams were the same way. Kids did not try to beat them, they just tried to last three periods against them. That was the same with Mark Schwab when he was in high school. Although he was the best wrestler at the time in Iowa, kids were afraid before they even got on the mat against Mark.

So you think that if everyone expects you to win a state championship as a freshman, you will not feel any pressure or feel nervous?

Comment

Are you serious...

My opinion is not based on one kid, but I assume you are talking about Klimara? How many upper classmen wrested at 103lbs in the LWC sectional? The answer to that question is ZERO. In most sectionals 103lbs-119lbs are mainly underclassmen. That being said, most of the kids at these weights are feeling pressure and are nervous. I bet Klimara was more confident than any other kid in his bracket. The oldest kid in his bracket at 103lbs bracket was a sophomore, so I assume they were all a little nervous. No-one has given Klimara a close match with the exception of the kid from Wadsworth OH. Klimara has also wrestled one of the toughest schedules in the state. Are you saying that Klimara lost because he was a freshman and he was nervous?

Comment

The other thread said he (Klimara) was thrown and lost due to the result of neck crank - my question: "Has a neck crank ever been called and a match stopped" - I assume is was just a head and arm pin - I did not see it...I could see a throw nocking the wind out before I saw a head crank as an issue...I'm not saying anying, I'm asking...
                          There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Comment

I don't think it is discrediting to state someone is "caught". It should be looked at as an inspiration for all the underdogs to look for the other guy and wait until he gets a chance to catch him off guard, which is not getting 'lucky', it is waiting for the right opportunity, and it is a warning for all undefeated or barely defeated top wrestlers that ANYONE at ANYTIME can be beat and to keep on top of the game to avoid being caught..... there is always someone there to take you down when you least expect it...
                            Last edited by qcfan; 02-14-2009, 08:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                              Are you serious...

My opinion is not based on one kid, but I assume you are talking about Klimara? How many upper classmen wrested at 103lbs in the LWC sectional? The answer to that question is ZERO. In most sectionals 103lbs-119lbs are mainly underclassmen. That being said, most of the kids at these weights are feeling pressure and are nervous. I bet Klimara was more confident than any other kid in his bracket. The oldest kid in his bracket at 103lbs bracket was a sophomore, so I assume they were all a little nervous. No-one has given Klimara a close match with the exception of the kid from Wadsworth OH. Klimara has also wrestled one of the toughest schedules in the state. Are you saying that Klimara lost because he was a freshman and he was nervous?

He didn't lose because of his age or being nervous... ALL of them are nervous... It all comes down to one wrestler seeing an opportunity to win and taking advantage of it when it was there. In no way does it state one wrestler is better than the other, just one was better AT THAT MOMENT - ON THAT DAY

Let's see what happens at state....

Comment

Working...
                              X