Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Funk In?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Funk In?

    Folks,

    Wrestling changes over the years. But there seems to be more and more funky wrestlers. Here are my funkmasters

    Oster (like his two brothers before him)
    Wojcik
    Surber
    Heimer
    Farmer
    Togher (like his brother)
    Bialka
    Walliser from Granite City
    Oyster
    ---------------------

    Traditional style are
    Ramos
    Morrison
    Klimara
    Munster
    Stenberg
    Simpson
    Bogess

    Certainly not a comprehensive list, but I have been watching more college wrestling and funk seems to be ascending there as well. The people that know more than me, does it seem like funk is taking over?

  • #2
    I agree with what your say completely, good list! One thing I think is crazy is this, I remember just a few years ago guys would say they don't ride the legs in college like they do in highschool. Completely not true, riding the legs will always be a huge part of wrestling from a stalling tactic, to scoring, to getting a stalmate, on down the line! I mean come on, Brent Metcalf rides the legs a lot!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Formerwrestler View Post
      I agree with what your say completely, good list! One thing I think is crazy is this, I remember just a few years ago guys would say they don't ride the legs in college like they do in highschool. Completely not true, riding the legs will always be a huge part of wrestling from a stalling tactic, to scoring, to getting a stalmate, on down the line! I mean come on, Brent Metcalf rides the legs a lot!
      When I went from high school to college, one big difference was the increased leg riding in college because legs is a good way to ride, and riding time counts in college.
      "Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."

      Comment


      • #4
        what does funk mean? sorry, i don't have a formal wrestling background.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by joe-jitsu View Post
          what does funk mean? sorry, i don't have a formal wrestling background.
          someone who likes to scramble alot. think ben askren
          on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

          Comment


          • #6
            In highschool it seams like funk but on the college level its kind of normal much more scrambling especially from the neutral position.

            Comment


            • #7
              Funk in College and High School

              Green Lantern, you seem to know a lot about both the College and High School scene...I am having a hard time remembering the guy's name who beat Poeta last year...from an Ivy League school. That guy is a master of funk.

              Prater (now at the U of I) is funky...and was at Plainfield Central. It seems different schools teach this. Lockport...funk...Plaunfield Central...funk. Sandburgh? Not much into funk.

              I am making a generalization, but at this year's state tourney, it sure did look like earthworms wrestling. When you get two of the same style, I cannot tell when a takedown occurs, or who has control half the time!

              Comment


              • #8
                jordan leen from cornell
                "Strength does not coming from winning. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Mahatma Ghandi

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks...As soon as I read his name, I felt stupid for not remembering. Creeping senility is tough to admit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Videosurfer View Post
                    Green Lantern, you seem to know a lot about both the College and High School scene...I am having a hard time remembering the guy's name who beat Poeta last year...from an Ivy League school. That guy is a master of funk.

                    Prater (now at the U of I) is funky...and was at Plainfield Central. It seems different schools teach this. Lockport...funk...Plaunfield Central...funk. Sandburgh? Not much into funk.

                    I am making a generalization, but at this year's state tourney, it sure did look like earthworms wrestling. When you get two of the same style, I cannot tell when a takedown occurs, or who has control half the time!
                    funk you cant teach. Jake Oster and Jason Welch have unhuman like flexiblity. Theres people who naturally are good at rolls and others who arent. Leen was a terible matchup for poeta because of his length and flexiblity and was almost as quick. Its all what best suits the wrestlers body. I read that Dave Schultz liked to use tie ups to slow kenny monday down. Theres people like the brands who arent athletic but move the guy around so they get a shot. And you have John Smith and Alex Meade who dont tie up but are quick like to do fakes and have the quickness and length to get shots in without tieing up. So its all depends on the wrestlers body and his move prefrence.
                    on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      funk is also cancer to freestyle which is why america isnt on the level of the russians.
                      on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Funk can be taught

                        I've seen both Ben Askern and Mike Eirman teach it. It's actually pretty simple to pick up if you follow their principles of scrambling. Flexibility is a movement skill that can be improved. Funk has been around forever and will continue to be a part of Folkstyle wrestling. I personally find good scrambles exciting.
                        Fair and Balanced as Always.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Scrambled legs

                          Is a great tape if your interested in funk its by the Clark brothers from Ohio State

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X