Illinois All Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Central IL Guy View Post
    Somewhat true I will agree, but wrestling is wrestling!! NCAA's is folkstyle, but yet there is a strong comparison between the guys who are NCAA All Americans, and guys who All American at Fargo, and not quite as strong a comparsion if you compare NHSCA All Americans to NCAA All Americans. And Fargo is divided by age somewhat to, just not as much as the NHSCA's!
    I suppose I'm just averse to calling someone an HS AA when there are 2 different styles, but like you said, we are now talking about comparing red grapefruit with yellow grapefruit at this point.

On a more serious note, is there a stronger correlation between NCAA AA and AA in one international style over another?

Comment

Originally posted by ctdad View Post
      I suppose I'm just averse to calling someone an HS AA when there are 2 different styles, but like you said, we are now talking about comparing red grapefruit with yellow grapefruit at this point.

On a more serious note, is there a stronger correlation between NCAA AA and AA in one international style over another?
      Not sure about all the AA's but i keep seeing ncaa champ names in articles about their freestyle success this off season...jake herbert and trent paulson are two big examples

Comment

Originally posted by Central IL Guy View Post
        IMO Fargo placers are the only true all americans at the HS level, but I guess the NHSCA nationals could be a second tier all american??

I am guessing all american is the definition of being one of the best in America, which is why I say Fargo is it. Compare NCAA All -Americans to Fargo finishes a few years prior and see how many names repeat, then do the same with the NHSCA nationals??
        I think it should be NHSCA is for folkstyle All Americans and Fargo is for freestyle/greco All Americans. As seperate styles they require simular yet different skill sets and have different rules. A wrestler should be reward as a master of each style since there are different styles. If these tournaments were all the same style then I would totally agree with you.

Comment

The main reason Fargo AA are more represented as NCAA AA is because the kids who are still wrestling in July are more serious. IMO. The NHSCA kids are just having one last fling before putting up there shoes for the year. That is only a generalization, but the Fargo kids seem more serious and successful after high school. Also, more freestyle AA have better success than Greco AA once they get to college. Assuming they only got AA honors in one style.

Comment

Originally posted by lookleft goright View Post
            The main reason Fargo AA are more represented as NCAA AA is because the kids who are still wrestling in July are more serious. IMO. The NHSCA kids are just having one last fling before putting up there shoes for the year. That is only a generalization, but the Fargo kids seem more serious and successful after high school. Also, more freestyle AA have better success than Greco AA once they get to college. Assuming they only got AA honors in one style.
            Not true at all and not based on any facts. I can name plenty of kids that do both and had success at both. Everyone wrestling in college is serious. Those that are not don't make it through their freshmen year. Every year there is a large amount of kids that skip Fargo (and NHSCA) to "get ready" for college. I would have to see some actual numbers to believe that a kid that wrestles in Fargo is more serious than a kid that wrestles at Sr. Nationals. Look at our own Illinois seniors that have gone to Fargo that are not going this year yet are among the best ever in Illinois history.

Comment

Working...
            X