Wrestling Numbers Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling Numbers Today

NFHS announces that participation in wrestling is at the highest level sine 1980 Read it here
    "Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."

Outstanding!

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
    NFHS announces that participation in wrestling is at the highest level sine 1980 Read it here

Good to see the numbers coming back. I remember in the mid and late 70s when every "tough guy" in hs went out for wrestling. Then it seemed kids started getting into video games and skateboarding,X-games,Wii....

Interesting that the lowest period of participation and interest nationally was also when Illinois experienced their all time low when MC messed up the state meet in 95. Wonder if its coincidence or if something can be said about selfishness and participation during this period?

Another interesting debate is if the kids today are better than the 70s? I think the argument can be made that because there was 30% more participation in the 70s there was more talent. Although I concede the kids today know more moves and have benefit of starting at an earlier age.

Comment

I was a decent wrestler in the 70's, but I would get slaughtered by today's talent. The kids today know so many more moves, and wrestle so many more matches in the off season. When I wrestle my son now, I have to beg for mercy. If I had a dollar for every time I've had to yell "Don't hurt me" I'd be rich!

Comment

This is great to see that the High School #'s are going up but it is sad that the College oppertunities are still being eliminated due to the interpratation of a law. (Title IX)
        Coach Scott

Comment

No doubt that the talent is greater today than it was in the 70's. Mainly because of the amount of time, traveling, and dollars that serious wrestlers invest today versus back then. However I beleive the competition was greater in the 70's than it is today. On an average profile IHSA wrestling team today you could possibly have 1 or 2 forfeits on a varsity squad on any given night. Back in the 70's forfeits were very rare on the Class AA varsity level. The reason was you had 2 or 3 guys at every weight class. The article Jaguar posted supports this with the fact that 1980 had greater participation than now. That is actually kind of sad, because the population of the US is about 70 million more than it was in 1980. So you think that the wrestling participation would increase at the same percentage. It's still better for the participation numbers to go up than go down. Hopefully it will start to turn around college programs too.

Comment

YEP

Originally posted by 3D'S View Post
            No doubt that the talent is greater today than it was in the 70's. Mainly because of the amount of time, traveling, and dollars that serious wrestlers invest today versus back then. However I beleive the competition was greater in the 70's than it is today. On an average profile IHSA wrestling team today you could possibly have 1 or 2 forfeits on a varsity squad on any given night. Back in the 70's forfeits were very rare on the Class AA varsity level. The reason was you had 2 or 3 guys at every weight class. The article Jaguar posted supports this with the fact that 1980 had greater participation than now. That is actually kind of sad, because the population of the US is about 70 million more than it was in 1980. So you think that the wrestling participation would increase at the same percentage. It's still better for the participation numbers to go up than go down. Hopefully it will start to turn around college programs too.
            On my HS team there was 3 guys at every weight. Some guys didnt get a match at varsity all year because they were 3rd or 4th string. But they stayed on the team anyway because they enjoyed the battles in the practise room and I think there was more respect back then as a 3 sport athlete. Unlike today as kids tend to specialize more in one sport.

Comment

Last year was my first exposure to the wrestling community. I was extremely surprised to see the amount of kids at all the IKWF tournaments. A lot of kids at my sons grade school are in wrestling too, which I was also surprised to see. When I was in grade school I didn't know what wrestling was. It's definately on the rise.

Comment

Are HS wrestling rosters unlimited? If so, it may just be following the fact that that high school numbers are higher than before. In the end..

the numbers of starters has to be the same as before (except for new schools).

At least basketball has rec programs, a lot of high school kids will never wrestle in a meet...except for a couple exhibition matches...or possibly tourneys - I don't know how high school tourneys work...(last year at an IKWF tourney there were 6 kids from 1 team at the same weight - and that went every 2 pounds a new bracket...) If your kid is 8A/AAA and 126-135 lbs (most competive weight) he better be pretty good...(8A/AAA (football) = best kid out of 10 1A schools, per math anyway.)
                There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Comment

Working...
                X