X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certification Question

The first date we can test is 10/15 ??

Also in regards to this

2. If the weight class falls between two weight classes, he/she must wrestle at the higher weight
    class. Ie. The 7% body fat is 127, then that wrestler may wrestle at 130 or above.

If the tournament has a 2 pound allowance, would a wrestler be able to go 125 (127 with the allowance) Provided he passed evereything else?

Originally posted by Huskies View Post
    The first date we can test is 10/15 ??

Also in regards to this

2. If the weight class falls between two weight classes, he/she must wrestle at the higher weight
    class. Ie. The 7% body fat is 127, then that wrestler may wrestle at 130 or above.

If the tournament has a 2 pound allowance, would a wrestler be able to go 125 (127 with the allowance) Provided he passed evereything else?

No, the wrestler can't wrestle 125 even with the allowance. In order to use any growth allowance, you have to have had already made scratch weight in that weight class. Since the wrestler cannot go down to 125, can't use the growth allowance or wrestle 125.
    "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help" - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Thumbcrusher View Post
      No, the wrestler can't wrestle 125 even with the allowance. In order to use any growth allowance, you have to have had already made scratch weight in that weight class. Since the wrestler cannot go down to 125, can't use the growth allowance or wrestle 125.

Then playing devils advocate, (and using semantics) When the weight classes "change" in January, could he then go 127, since that will be the "new" weight class? I couldn't find anywhere it states that a wrestler must make scratch weight before using the allowance. But I did not try to hard either. Last year my argument was that in January the NFHS changes the wieght classes, and although it is called a growth allowance, the classes are altered and re calculated.

Comment

My question is if you certify at 189 and wrestle a match at the scratch weight but usually weigh 190lbs, can you wrestle 215 and 275 all year and then drop down to 189 (plus allowance) for the regionals?

Comment

The weight classes do not change. By January 15, most wrestlers have made scratch, so would therefore be qualified for the two-pound allowance. Additionally, pounds for consecutive days wrestled do not count towards making scratch either.

Comment

Huskies,

You can not wrestle 125 if certification says you can only go 127, even when the weight classes change. You must be able to make 125 scratch.

owl,

If you certify at 189, you may weigh-in at 215 and wrestle either 215 or 285. However you can not weigh above 215 or else you automatically are re certified at 285.

Hope that helps.

Comment

From My Understanding i thought you were allowed to wrestle that weight BBBUUUTTT you cant certify at that weight because you have to make scratch before regionals once and scratch would push it past the limit forthat wrestler

Comment

Simple.........

Here is the rule copied and pasted about wrestling at the lower weight. I'm not sure how you can get anything out of this besides what I posted about wrestling the lower weight.

B. The lowest weight class a wrestler
                may compete at will be determined as follows:

1. If the predicted weight, at 7% male or 12% female, is exactly that of one of the weight classes,that weight class shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class. Ie.: 7% body fat is 130, then that wrestler may wrestle 130 or above.

2. If the weight class falls between two weight classes, he/she must wrestle at the higher weight class. Ie. The 7% body fat is 127, then that wrestler may wrestle at 130 or above.

THis is as simple as it gets. Just re-read number 2. Doesn't matter about weight allowances, making scratch, etc..... #2 is the bottom line regardless.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help" - Ronald Reagan

Comment

For example Kyle Czarnecki certified at 160 last year and wrestled 171 all year week before conference wrestled at 160 for the dual before conference and clearly wrestled that weight at the state series.

Comment

Here is the rule copied and pasted about wrestling at the lower weight. I'm not sure how you can get anything out of this besides what I posted about wrestling the lower weight.

B. The lowest weight class a wrestler
                    may compete at will be determined as follows:

1. If the predicted weight, at 7% male or 12% female, is exactly that of one of the weight classes,that weight class shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class. Ie.: 7% body fat is 130, then that wrestler may wrestle 130 or above.

2. If the weight class falls between two weight classes, he/she must wrestle at the higher weight class. Ie. The 7% body fat is 127, then that wrestler may wrestle at 130 or above.

THis is as simple as it gets. Just re-read number 2. Doesn't matter about weight allowances, making scratch, etc..... #2 is the bottom line regardless.

Thanks I understood it, but was just checking as IL has some different rules and would not want to screw my kids. Thanks for your help

Comment

No problem. Just don't read too much into it. here is some additional info you may find useful I copied and pasted from the weight control manual.

II. Time Periods for Measurements
                      A. Skinfold measuring may begin on Monday of Week 19 of the IHSA calendar (November 9, 2009). All wrestlers, including those coming out late, must have their minimum weight established prior to any
                      competition.

B. Skinfold measuring must be completed by Friday, of Week 30 (January 29, 2010).

Comment

Working...
                      X