Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any info on the tj williams-ben gerdes match from team sectionals in '94?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any info on the tj williams-ben gerdes match from team sectionals in '94?

I remember hearing that Gerdes beat him. Anyone know how the match went down? score? highlights?

Gerdes

on't have the match, but you're correct!

The best wrestler never to win state is Ben Gerdes, hands down! He got upset by Mark Bybee of St. Lawrence in 94' at #145, in what was easily the best wrestling match I ever saw! I think Bybee ended up pinning him in Overtime.

3 days later, Gerdes redeemed himself by beating TJ Williams, who at the time just won the state title at #140 as a freshman. Gerdes beat him by decision, although the score evades me...The match took place in the sectional dual finals.

As for St. Lawrence winning it all; they won the Dual title in I believe 1991. In their regional final against MC, Joe Williams (As a freshman) got DQ'd for an alleged "slam." At the time he was up 12-1, and it went down in the record books as his only HS loss! It was quite a scene...
    varsitymatman05
    01-26-2006, 04:09 PM

Joe Sapp, Dave Herrera, Nick Fallico, Fred DeRaumus, Jeff Burdorf, Pat Quirk, Thomas Gagan, Marty Engwall, Matt McNaughton, Daniel Dennis, Tim Walker, Scott Sands, Andy Greenawalt, Mike Mucha, Mike Tamillow, Brett Robbins, Duke Burk, Pat Castillo just to name a few

HandControl
    01-26-2006, 04:13 PM

Of recent memory Nick Baima 4 time state placer, just won outstanding wrestler at Midlands.

wrstlerfan4life
    01-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Travis Cherry

sherminator07
    01-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Dennis has to be the best wrestler i've seen to never win state. He wrestled amazing to get to the finals against jahn butlost a tough match, it was good to see jahn win though. Then the next year he pretty much has his way untill the finals when he lost 1-0 to jordan in a tough and even match. I think that these losses seemed to have helped further motivate him though, just look what he is doing at Iowa. In all reallity dennis could become an all american this year or next year so I would say he is doing just fine.

radnev
    01-26-2006, 06:20 PM

Based on high school results, it would definitely have to be Ben Gerdes. His high school record speaks for itself. It's also funny that gonzokid mentions he was upset by Mark Bybee in the finals, because he was also "upset" by Bybee a week earlier in the sectional finals. Many people still thought Gerdes would come through downstate. Both huge talents that could have won state either 140, 145, or 152.

blake
    01-26-2006, 06:40 PM

There are a ton of quality wrestlers who have never won a state title.One who jumps to mind right away is Daniel Dennis from Grant high school in Fox Lake.He took a fouth as a sophmore,second I believe as a junior,and second as a senior,losing in the finals 1-0 to Mt. Carmels Kenny Jordan.Daniel is avery dedicated athlete who is now raising some eyebrows in the Big Ten as an Iowa Hawkeye,starting as a true freshman.Does anyone else remember Daniel wrestling in high school?Were you as impressed as I was?

theMATrat2005
    01-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Marty Gould skokie Niles West, check him out, the results speak for themselves, it's so ridiculous that he couldn't get a title.

wrestlingkid430
    01-26-2006, 07:38 PM

im pretty sure lawrence won in 89 0r 87

Comment

Originally posted by Formerwrestler View Post
      on't have the match, but you're correct!

The best wrestler never to win state is Ben Gerdes, hands down! He got upset by Mark Bybee of St. Lawrence in 94' at #145, in what was easily the best wrestling match I ever saw! I think Bybee ended up pinning him in Overtime.

3 days later, Gerdes redeemed himself by beating TJ Williams, who at the time just won the state title at #140 as a freshman. Gerdes beat him by decision, although the score evades me...The match took place in the sectional dual finals.

As for St. Lawrence winning it all; they won the Dual title in I believe 1991. In their regional final against MC, Joe Williams (As a freshman) got DQ'd for an alleged "slam." At the time he was up 12-1, and it went down in the record books as his only HS loss! It was quite a scene...
      varsitymatman05
      01-26-2006, 04:09 PM

Joe Sapp, Dave Herrera, Nick Fallico, Fred DeRaumus, Jeff Burdorf, Pat Quirk, Thomas Gagan, Marty Engwall, Matt McNaughton, Daniel Dennis, Tim Walker, Scott Sands, Andy Greenawalt, Mike Mucha, Mike Tamillow, Brett Robbins, Duke Burk, Pat Castillo just to name a few

HandControl
      01-26-2006, 04:13 PM

Of recent memory Nick Baima 4 time state placer, just won outstanding wrestler at Midlands.

wrstlerfan4life
      01-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Travis Cherry

sherminator07
      01-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Dennis has to be the best wrestler i've seen to never win state. He wrestled amazing to get to the finals against jahn butlost a tough match, it was good to see jahn win though. Then the next year he pretty much has his way untill the finals when he lost 1-0 to jordan in a tough and even match. I think that these losses seemed to have helped further motivate him though, just look what he is doing at Iowa. In all reallity dennis could become an all american this year or next year so I would say he is doing just fine.

radnev
      01-26-2006, 06:20 PM

Based on high school results, it would definitely have to be Ben Gerdes. His high school record speaks for itself. It's also funny that gonzokid mentions he was upset by Mark Bybee in the finals, because he was also "upset" by Bybee a week earlier in the sectional finals. Many people still thought Gerdes would come through downstate. Both huge talents that could have won state either 140, 145, or 152.

blake
      01-26-2006, 06:40 PM

There are a ton of quality wrestlers who have never won a state title.One who jumps to mind right away is Daniel Dennis from Grant high school in Fox Lake.He took a fouth as a sophmore,second I believe as a junior,and second as a senior,losing in the finals 1-0 to Mt. Carmels Kenny Jordan.Daniel is avery dedicated athlete who is now raising some eyebrows in the Big Ten as an Iowa Hawkeye,starting as a true freshman.Does anyone else remember Daniel wrestling in high school?Were you as impressed as I was?

theMATrat2005
      01-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Marty Gould skokie Niles West, check him out, the results speak for themselves, it's so ridiculous that he couldn't get a title.

wrestlingkid430
      01-26-2006, 07:38 PM

im pretty sure lawrence won in 89 0r 87

They won it 90'

Comment

[quote=Formerwrestler;249510]on't have the match, but you're correct!

IMO the Collins / Gerdes in 93 was a better match!

Comment

Working...
        X