Chicago Public Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Public Teams

I was talking to one of the other coaches from another Chicago Public School team and we were talking about how our schools athletic departments do not have the funding or resources to send our teams to tournaments. In this conversation, because we were at a Quad, another coach who was from a CPS team with a little more of a budget commented that his school was paying for tournaments but he had only 4 wrestlers to take to the tournament he was going to. I believe that everyone knows the situation with CPS schools and wrestling. So my question is when you have a school from the CPS entering tournaments with only 3 or 4 kids, from CPS schools that can afford it would it not be beneficial to the kids from schools that can not afford it to send there members with the team going. Since these tournaments are not IHSA classified or beneficial or detrimental to team standings and state classification is totally out the window, as 1A guys are wrestling 3A and 2A guys would this even be possible. If you look at the big tournaments there is basically no CPS representation because our budgets and teams are not equipped to stand alone as one independent school. I don't know maybe this is just my thinking on providing opportunity for the few kids who want to take wrestling serious but do not have the option because of forces outside of themselves. I know someone will get on here and try to justify CPS teams and how there are teams that are growing and successful and this might be true for about .10% of the CPS schools but I have talked to several teams that don't have the resources that these 2 or 3 CPS schools have that would like to send their wrestlers to these big tournaments. Back to the original question though do you think it would be possible for a CPS team paying for a tournament to bring a few more wrestlers from another team with them to the big boy tournaments?

I am a CPS Coach at Chicago Academy, we have an issue with low numbers on our team being a school of only 600 kids and a school that is primarily based on academics.

An idea we have moving forward that our AD and I had, is to create Co-Ops amongst school that are in close proximity to each other and allow for a team to possible fill a line-up. I know a fair amount of teams in Southern Illinois have this option due to low enrollment numbers and not having enough students to fill a team. I think it could jump start a few programs and get participation up a bit, I know coaching opportunities will be less and there will be volunteer positions instead of paid ones (not like they are making a lot of money, to begin with). I feel that this could be good for CPS, you might have fewer teams but you will have teams actually filling out lineups and being more competitive.
    If you're going through hell, keep going

- Winston Churchill

Comment

One thing to note is that many public schools that DO travel to go to better tournaments (non-CPS schools) are not funding this with the budgets allocated by their school's athletic departments. The school my son's attend have been traveling for years in pursuit of elite competition via tournaments and duals. The minuscule wrestling budget that the school has allotted would not allow them to do much more then participate in conference duals and other competition within no more than a 30-45 mile radius. To afford the team these opportunities over the years, countless hours are spent throughout the year by volunteers to raise money that funds these opportunities. Now, I realize that the community that we live in might make such fundraising much easier. My main objective in making this post is to point out that school/district allocated budget should not be the excuse for not being able to pursue better competition. I know that many of these coaches in the CPS are heroes who are some of the most positive influences these young men/women have in their lives. To be able to pursue better competition, there also needs to be a focus on fundraising and building a program and a tradition. It's not easy, but public high schools across the state have limited budgets that make it very hard, but not impossible to give teams the opportunity to pursue elite competitions. That does not have to be an obstacle that can't be overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by NickyTheEar View Post
        I am a CPS Coach at Chicago Academy, we have an issue with low numbers on our team being a school of only 600 kids and a school that is primarily based on academics.

An idea we have moving forward that our AD and I had, is to create Co-Ops amongst school that are in close proximity to each other and allow for a team to possible fill a line-up. I know a fair amount of teams in Southern Illinois have this option due to low enrollment numbers and not having enough students to fill a team. I think it could jump start a few programs and get participation up a bit, I know coaching opportunities will be less and there will be volunteer positions instead of paid ones (not like they are making a lot of money, to begin with). I feel that this could be good for CPS, you might have fewer teams but you will have teams actually filling out lineups and being more competitive.
        i think its a great idea personally but at the varsity level as soon as someone gets beat they will whine

i a parent who has family in a public high school in the burbs with plenty of kids at every level i wish our coaches had your drive and motivation to improve i feel bad your in your situation when the guy in charge of our program does the minimum ....i hope things work out for ya

Comment

that's correct, all the schools that I have wrestles affiliated with public and private have multiple fund raisers. If you put the work in you can raise enough money for team gear/singlets and tournaments. Not to many schools that I am aware of just hand freebies to wrestling programs. Good luck

Comment

You are 100% correct about fund raising. I grew up wrestling in the Chicago Catholic league and we were very aggressive with our fund raising so I know what goes with that, but unfortunately like someone stated in their post earlier it takes time to build up to that kind of program. My School's wrestling program is only in its third year and I and the other coach are new to the coaching staff. We have 2 or 3 wrestlers that I am sure will make noise at the State tournament, but as we all know you need quality matches during the season to help you build your experience and physicality to wrestle at the state level come end of season. I don't know too many wrestlers that can wrestle lesser opponents all year and then turn it on against the really good guys come state tournament time. I am just trying to see if the co-op thing for the big tournaments would be a possible exception for the people running the big tournaments.

Comment

If I were you I would connect with another team and then together, reach out to a tournament and ask if you could pay one entry fee, for both teams. Explain that together you will bring one line-up, so you are really only one team.

I don't see why this would be a problem, the tournament would now have 17 teams (which many do anyways). They would not have to pay extra for refs, so the only area that the cost would increase is for the hospitality room. I'm sure you aren't bringing 4 coaches like some teams so that wouldn't matter either.

Comment

Speaking of fund raising. It is a lot different doing it in the city. I have had my share of people slamming the door selling candles door to door in OP. But at Proviso. I buy everything from them because unfortunately, those kids can get robbed or worse in some places. If you don't like my comment I will set you up with a fund raiser and YOU can go door to door selling with a wad of cash, that is if you make some sales.

I am all for CPS joining some teams and making a squad. In fact, pm me and I will pay for a frosh tourney with a full line up. Those tournaments just want as few of byes as possible. Keep up the good fight gents.
                Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldpioneer View Post
                  Speaking of fund raising. It is a lot different doing it in the city. I have had my share of people slamming the door selling candles door to door in OP. But at Proviso. I buy everything from them because unfortunately, those kids can get robbed or worse in some places. If you don't like my comment I will set you up with a fund raiser and YOU can go door to door selling with a wad of cash, that is if you make some sales.

I am all for CPS joining some teams and making a squad. In fact, pm me and I will pay for a frosh tourney with a full line up. Those tournaments just want as few of byes as possible. Keep up the good fight gents.
                  Gotta think beyond cub scout fundraising techniques. We have never had our kids go out selling stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X