the dual meet that never was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the dual meet that never was

Even though this year we were unable to see the culmination of the hate /hate relationship between Lockport and oprf (thanks a lot Montini).It reminded me of another highly anticipated that we were unable to witness, but for an entirely different reason. The year was 1995, clearly the two best teams in the state that year were Mt. Carmel and Granite City.3 time defending champ Mt. Carmel led by the legendary coach Bill Weick was loaded with 9 state qualifiers which included 7 place winners among them all time greats T.J Williams and Tony Davis. On the other side of the coin was Granite City with 10 qualifiers and 4 places. It was rare for such a strong team to come from the southern part of the state back then. I believe they were scheduled to face each other in the semifinals. People started hearing some rumors that Mt. Carmel had been ruled ineligible. Why? They sent a j.v team to a varsity tournament and didn't check the right box or filled out the wrong paperwork. Who cares? It clearly didn't give them any competitive advantage. Well the good old boys at the IHSA didn't see it that way. Fine they're ineligible. Well Mt. Carmel takes them to court and whips their butt not once not twice but thrice. Apparently the judges used common sense and ruled them eligible. Unfortunately the high lords of the ihsa do not like being told what to do, so to protect the integrity of this fine institution, there will be no wrestling for ANYONE!!!!! That's right they took their ball and went home. What? So the Illinois state champion of 1995 will join the Reggie Bush heisman year as a blank spot on history. I was a sophomore on an 18-1 east high squad who had chartered a coach bus for sectionals, because bee felt it was our year to maybe get down state, awaiting us at the school was a NOTE on the door (yes a freaking note) that the state series had been cancelled. That's like coming to work and getting fired when u walk in the door, couldn't u have called us and told us that u were firing wrestling this year? Think about this story when u wonder why the ihsa does or doesn't do something that makes sense. If u watch the Craig Anderson interview especially part two it makes u wonder was this guy a used cars salesman before he was in charge? My favorite part was when he gets a twinkle in his eye about the Rolling of the Peas in some secret ihsa/illuminati back room to determine who shall receive the trophy. Well the best teams right? Oh no no no, that would go against what the ihsa stands for. Huh? The ancient tradition of the Rolling of the Peas shall not be changed their not ready for that. Ooook. Next time can we have a member of the advisory board and the ihsa board of gods conduct a duel interview so we know who to blame? There seems to b a lot of the passing of the buck, the happiest Mr. Anderson looked during the whole interview was when he could firmly say that none of this was his doing and ice cream at assembly hall. Another curious part was when he said that whatever changes in one sport must fit with all the sports. Here's a fun fact ALL SPORTS are not the SAME. Shocking I know. Well I could go on and on about the NCAA I mean ihsa all night, but I should try to get some sleep. I feel like a kid before Christmas the NCAAs start tomorrow. Wrestling not basketball, fyi if u get ESPN U u can catch pretty much every match. Comcast charges $10 for that package, but u only need it till Saturday, so really its like a $1 just call and cancel Saturday. Thank you and good night
    Last edited by Old Erab; 03-16-2017, 06:40 AM.

That is a good story to hear about, makes up for the "meat" spelling reflecting upon us all who like the sport. In the age of spellcheck all spelling errors are considered ironic.
    There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Erab View Post
      Even though this year we were unable to see the culmination of the hate /hate relationship between Lockport and oprf (thanks a lot Montini).It reminded me of another highly anticipated that we were unable to witness, but for an entirely different reason. The year was 1995, clearly the two best teams in the state that year were Mt. Carmel and Granite City.3 time defending champ Mt. Carmel led by the legendary coach Bill Weick was loaded with 9 state qualifiers which included 7 place winners among them all time greats T.J Williams and Tony Davis. On the other side of the coin was Granite City with 10 qualifiers and 4 places. It was rare for such a strong team to come from the southern part of the state back then. I believe they were scheduled to face each other in the semifinals. People started hearing some rumors that Mt. Carmel had been ruled ineligible. Why? They sent a j.v team to a varsity tournament and didn't check the right box or filled out the wrong paperwork. Who cares? It clearly didn't give them any competitive advantage. Well the good old boys at the IHSA didn't see it that way. Fine they're ineligible. Well Mt. Carmel takes them to court and whips their butt not once not twice but thrice. Apparently the judges used common sense and ruled them eligible. Unfortunately the high lords of the ihsa do not like being told what to do, so to protect the integrity of this fine institution, there will be no wrestling for ANYONE!!!!! That's right they took their ball and went home. What? So the Illinois state champion of 1995 will join the Reggie Bush heisman year as a blank spot on history. I was a sophomore on an 18-1 east high squad who had chartered a coach bus for sectionals, because bee felt it was our year to maybe get down state, awaiting us at the school was a NOTE on the door (yes a freaking note) that the state series had been cancelled. That's like coming to work and getting fired when u walk in the door, couldn't u have called us and told us that u were firing wrestling this year? Think about this story when u wonder why the ihsa does or doesn't do something that makes sense. If u watch the Craig Anderson interview especially part two it makes u wonder was this guy a used cars salesman before he was in charge? My favorite part was when he gets a twinkle in his eye about the Rolling of the Peas in some secret ihsa/illuminati back room to determine who shall receive the trophy. Well the best teams right? Oh no no no, that would go against what the ihsa stands for. Huh? The ancient tradition of the Rolling of the Peas shall not be changed their not ready for that. Ooook. Next time can we have a member of the advisory board and the ihsa board of gods conduct a duel interview so we know who to blame? There seems to b a lot of the passing of the buck, the happiest Mr. Anderson looked during the whole interview was when he could firmly say that none of this was his doing and ice cream at assembly hall. Another curious part was when he said that whatever changes in one sport must fit with all the sports. Here's a fun fact ALL SPORTS are not the SAME. Shocking I know. Well I could go on and on about the NCAA I mean ihsa all night, but I should try to get some sleep. I feel like a kid before Christmas the NCAAs start tomorrow. Wrestling not basketball, fyi if u get ESPN U u can catch pretty much every match. Comcast charges $10 for that package, but u only need it till Saturday, so really its like a $1 just call and cancel Saturday. Thank you and good night
      Originally posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
      That is a good story to hear about, makes up for the "meat" spelling reflecting upon us all who like the sport. In the age of spellcheck all spelling errors are considered ironic.
      Thanks missed that

Comment

Some things will never die.

Comment

Originally posted by old erab View Post
          even though this year we were unable to see the culmination of the hate /hate relationship between lockport and oprf (thanks a lot montini).it reminded me of another highly anticipated that we were unable to witness, but for an entirely different reason. The year was 1995, clearly the two best teams in the state that year were mt. Carmel and granite city.3 time defending champ mt. Carmel led by the legendary coach bill weick was loaded with 9 state qualifiers which included 7 place winners among them all time greats t.j williams and tony davis. On the other side of the coin was granite city with 10 qualifiers and 4 places. It was rare for such a strong team to come from the southern part of the state back then. I believe they were scheduled to face each other in the semifinals. People started hearing some rumors that mt. Carmel had been ruled ineligible. Why? They sent a j.v team to a varsity tournament and didn't check the right box or filled out the wrong paperwork. Who cares? It clearly didn't give them any competitive advantage. Well the good old boys at the ihsa didn't see it that way. Fine they're ineligible. Well mt. Carmel takes them to court and whips their butt not once not twice but thrice. Apparently the judges used common sense and ruled them eligible. Unfortunately the high lords of the ihsa do not like being told what to do, so to protect the integrity of this fine institution, there will be no wrestling for anyone!!!!! That's right they took their ball and went home. What? So the illinois state champion of 1995 will join the reggie bush heisman year as a blank spot on history. I was a sophomore on an 18-1 east high squad who had chartered a coach bus for sectionals, because bee felt it was our year to maybe get down state, awaiting us at the school was a note on the door (yes a freaking note) that the state series had been cancelled. That's like coming to work and getting fired when u walk in the door, couldn't u have called us and told us that u were firing wrestling this year? Think about this story when u wonder why the ihsa does or doesn't do something that makes sense. If u watch the craig anderson interview especially part two it makes u wonder was this guy a used cars salesman before he was in charge? My favorite part was when he gets a twinkle in his eye about the rolling of the peas in some secret ihsa/illuminati back room to determine who shall receive the trophy. Well the best teams right? Oh no no no, that would go against what the ihsa stands for. Huh? The ancient tradition of the rolling of the peas shall not be changed their not ready for that. Ooook. Next time can we have a member of the advisory board and the ihsa board of gods conduct a duel interview so we know who to blame? There seems to b a lot of the passing of the buck, the happiest mr. Anderson looked during the whole interview was when he could firmly say that none of this was his doing and ice cream at assembly hall. Another curious part was when he said that whatever changes in one sport must fit with all the sports. Here's a fun fact all sports are not the same. Shocking i know. Well i could go on and on about the ncaa i mean ihsa all night, but i should try to get some sleep. I feel like a kid before christmas the ncaas start tomorrow. Wrestling not basketball, fyi if u get espn u u can catch pretty much every match. Comcast charges $10 for that package, but u only need it till saturday, so really its like a $1 just call and cancel saturday. Thank you and good night
          boring!!!!!!!

Comment

1995 Mt. Carmel......yawn

Comment

Those who live in the past are cowards and losers" -- Mike Ditka.

Comment

Old Bear fan

Originally posted by Why Not Wrestle U View Post
                Those who live in the past are cowards and losers" -- Mike Ditka.
                Living in the past, and remembering the past are two entirely different things. I liked Old Erab post.

Comment

Working...
                X