Providence in the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence in the news

Watched a WGN news report that a student was pulled from school by his parents due to accusations of racism. According to the student's mother her child no longer felt safe in what had become a hostile environment. Heard the offender has already been removed from the school and unfortunately the offending student was an integral member of the Wrestling team. There is no room for that in a civilized society. Hopefully the offender will take this as a lesson learned that no matter what his status is, he is not above rules or common decency.

they are taking a beating in the press. Can as Mr. Twister calls him "one of the greatest coaches in Illinois History" save his legacy?

The news report implicated him saying as Dean of Student he possibly was covering up for his wrestler!

Could he be on the hotseat too?

Comment

http://wgntv.com/2017/03/16/student-...ces-of-racism/

Comment

Knew it wasn't going to be long that this one made the post. I know racism was posted in the article, but reading the article looks to me that the offender is bulleying this victim for a while. Either way sad situation.

Comment

Terrible news. Hope all goes well for the kid and his family.

Comment

?

Which kid?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Weber View Post
              Which kid?
              The kid bullied. I thought that would be obvious!

Comment

Hey truth is out there can you shed some light on this situation. Didn't your son used to attend providence

Comment

Originally posted by Captain spaulding View Post
                  Hey truth is out there can you shed some light on this situation. Didn't your son used to attend providence

Comment

I feel badly for the victims as well as the accused. Thisnis tragic for all involved. I hope there is comforting and relief from the pain of the terro for the victim and yes i hope there is forgiveness and understanding for the accused.

Who i dont feel sorry for is the adults involved. After a thorough investigation If there was a cover up or if this situation was ignored and it was allowed to permiate then i hope justice is served. Adults are in positons of trust to deal with these situations- if they failed to do so that must be addressed.

Comment

The word "racism" triggers lots of emotions and reactions. However, it is a conclusion based on one's interpretation of the events witnessed or told. Context is always important. Until the circumstances of the alleged racially charged statement or acts can be fully understood and assessed, use of the word "racism" is premature, quite possibly inaccurate, and therefore unfair to the student who allegedly made the statement or committed the act.

Many may conclude that because the school expelled the student that its administration has fully understood and assessed the statement. Again, this may not necessarily be the case. There may be other factors at work here. Assuming that the expelled student must have made those statements because the school would not have otherwise expelled him is putting your faith in an institution and process that may be flawed.

I am sure the student's name will come out shortly. Many will be shocked. Some will assume he is a racist and likely draw the conclusion that this is learned at home concluding his parents are racist as well. Others will say they know the student and will tell you he is a great kid from a wonderful family. Be very careful in your determination and placing that label on the expelled student until you know the facts or at least have heard his side of the story. He could easily be that great kid from a wonderful family that did nothing wrong.

As for Coach Healey, I do not know the man personally. I do know he has developed the respect and admiration of the Illinois football and wrestling community through his efforts and abilities. It is altogether unfair to allow this to impact his reputation or our view of him unless we have actual facts indicating he acted improperly. As far as I am concerned, his reputation remains intact.
                      Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules, and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting. George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant, "The Sporting Spirit", 1950

Comment

Someone isnt being straight. The mother claims she has repeatedly told people at the school this was going on. If there is documentation of meetings or ohone calls then heads need to roll. Sadly, sometimes good people get caught up.
                        I hope this is the end of the story and people learn a valued lesson. Its unfortunate i think this is just the beginningz

Comment

Working...
                        X