Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clash XVI a great night for Illinois wrestling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clash XVI a great night for Illinois wrestling!

It was a great night for Illinois wrestling. GBN won their bracket, OPRF won the 2nd bracket, effectively finishing 5th overall, and Montini put on a fireworks display.

When you look at what could have been a competitive dual on paper and then you see a 47-9 score you wonder what happened. In a nutshell, Montini won all the matches they were favored in, all the swing matches, AND scored an upset at 126lbs.

I was calling the OPRF v Washington dual (which OPRF won 43-18), but constantly looking over at the Montini v St Edward dual. Starting weight was 220lbs which played perfectly into the Bronco strategy. They bumped Christiansen and he got the win over O'Malley, followed by McNichols winning with a pin at 285lbs, and it turned into a snowball effect where the teammates were feeding off the emotion. At 126lbs Burnowski charged out on that mat and fought like the 3rd monkey trying to get on to Noah's Ark when the first raindrops came down and upset nationally ranked Hepner. Before you knew it the score was 23-0. Woods followed a dec over Kasmir, and St Edward was able to finally get on the board when Andonian won a dec over Mayora, but Jake Stiles turned around with a HUGE OT SV at 145lbs over Sam Dover and St Edward didn't win another match until a FF at 195lbs...and you could see the frustration on Dakota Howard's face when he walked out to get his arm raised. Wow.

On a side note they let some local Chicago area guy sing the National Anthem prior to the championship round.
    Last edited by mckbln; 12-31-2017, 11:59 AM.
    sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Montini dominated the Clash, was very impressive. Basically, a pinning machine came into town. Well done! How would they line-up against Blair? I would do some rescheduling and invite Blair into town. (I know it will never happen) That is what will draw kids, numbers and fans to the sport of wrestling, match ups like that.

OPRF looked good vs Washington. They might have a good little team the next few years, didn't realize they are so young. Again I am a huge fan of their style of wrestling.

Marmion needs to go back to the drawing board. They make Illinois wrestling fun when they are good, right now they are way-way down.

PC is on an island by themselves, hope they find a boat and get them back to the mainland.

Looking at the team rankings, Illinois is down I hope that changes in the next few years. How is it possible that Ohio and PA have so many better teams than Illinois? does that start at the kid level or just development across the board?

What are their (Ohio, Pa) numbers compared to Illinois numbers?

Again I am a huge fan of wrestling and want nothing but the best for Illinois teams to dominate national scene of wrestling like Blair, Ohio, and PA.

The last two days are my favorite every year The Clash and the Midlands same weekend… THANK YOU for wrestling!

MAC again great job!

Happy New Year!

Comment

Good for Montini.

Originally posted by gulach View Post
      Montini dominated the Clash, was very impressive. Basically, a pinning machine came into town. Well done! How would they line-up against Blair? I would do some rescheduling and invite Blair into town. (I know it will never happen) That is what will draw kids, numbers and fans to the sport of wrestling, match ups like that.

OPRF looked good vs Washington. They might have a good little team the next few years, didn't realize they are so young. Again I am a huge fan of their style of wrestling.

Marmion needs to go back to the drawing board. They make Illinois wrestling fun when they are good, right now they are way-way down.

PC is on an island by themselves, hope they find a boat and get them back to the mainland.

Looking at the team rankings, Illinois is down I hope that changes in the next few years. How is it possible that Ohio and PA have so many better teams than Illinois? does that start at the kid level or just development across the board?

What are their (Ohio, Pa) numbers compared to Illinois numbers?

Again I am a huge fan of wrestling and want nothing but the best for Illinois teams to dominate national scene of wrestling like Blair, Ohio, and PA.

The last two days are my favorite every year The Clash and the Midlands same weekend… THANK YOU for wrestling!

MAC again great job!

Happy New Year!
      Yes the All Star teams are fun to watch in the National tournaments against other all star teams like St. Ed’s. They get to dual it out in the top bracket. All star vs all star. Then you have the GBNs who are local Carol Stream kids duking it out againts MN schools with kids from their local area. Where victory comes down to coaching and who trains the hardest every week. Not who recruited the best off season.

The Don Flavin Tournament was much more exciting to me then the Clash. Lots of close matches with many of the top non-All Star teams and wrestlers in the state. The Top Bracket had a three way tie that came down to tie breakers. The 2nd bracket came down to criterion to determine victory. This tournament showcased the future of IHSA wrestling in my opinion. The past. Kids wrestling for their local high school like Dekalb, Prospect, SCE, LWE, LWW, WN, NC, Rochelle, etc etc. I am sure no one in Dekalb the last couple of days thinks that Illinois Wrestling is down.

Comment

just the facts

How many Illinois teams have ever beaten St. Edwards in a dual?

Comment

Originally posted by caped crusader View Post
          How many Illinois teams have ever beaten St. Edwards in a dual?
          Not many. I think Mt Carmel and now Montini. Although they never dualed, Sandburg's two teams from 2004-06 might have, and the two OPRF teams from 2014-16 would have.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mckbln View Post
            Not many. I think Mt Carmel and now Montini. Although they never dualed, Sandburg's two teams from 2004-06 might have, and the two OPRF teams from 2014-16 would have.
            Montini beat St.Eds before at the Clash by 1 point in the 2nd Bracket. Had to be about 5 years ago.

Comment

Did I miss hear/understand that St.Eds has had an NCAA all American for the past 28 years?

If so that is absolutely ridiculous..

Comment

Originally posted by gulach View Post
                Did I miss hear/understand that St.Eds has had an NCAA all American for the past 28 years?

If so that is absolutely ridiculous..
                Yes it is ridiculous! The past 34 years.

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...merican-streak

Comment

just the facts

Originally posted by maddog81 View Post
                  Montini beat St.Eds before at the Clash by 1 point in the 2nd Bracket. Had to be about 5 years ago.
                  Oh yea, and the Clash was so strong that year that that match-up took place in the 2nd bracket!

Comment

If you want to talk about a ridiculous championship bracket, go back to Clash X. Graham didn't even make it. The four teams, Clovis (CA), Brandon (FL), Apple Valley (MN), and St Edward (OH) were positively loaded. Go back and look at some of the names...it's amazing. St Edward won it with an absolutely ridiculous team that had Colin Hefernan, Edgar Bright, Marcus Scheidel, Dean Heil, and in the upper weights you got Mark Martin, Dominic Abounader, Suvak, Walz, and Kuhar. Just off the top of my head Brandon had Clark Glass, Rossi Bruno, Kyle and Kevin Norstrem, and Apple Valley had Sullivan, Kingsley, Mark Hall, and Mason Manville. Insane.
                    sigpic

Comment

just the facts

What is the reason the tournament has weakened? Seems like the very top teams were once there, what has happened?

Comment

Originally posted by caped crusader View Post
                        What is the reason the tournament has weakened? Seems like the very top teams were once there, what has happened?
                        Considering you still had Montini, St Edward, Apple Valley, Park Hill , OPRF etc there it hasn't weakened that much...they just had a lot of adversity this year. Flo Wrestling lured Buchanan away to compete in the Who's Number One? Dual tournament and quite frankly IMO the way Montini is wrestling right now they would destroy Buchanan, Lake Highland Prep, St Paris Graham, Wyoming Sem in a dual meet and I bet even money on a dual meet v Blair Academy. I say that based on what I saw at The Ironman...where Montini did not wrestle particularly well, v how they are wrestling now. I made the same argument about OPRF back in 2014 when they finished 3rd at Ironman and 2nd at The Clash but at the end of the year the way they peaked for the IHSA state tournament they were the best team in the country.
                        sigpic

Comment

This is truly exciting for Illinois wrestling. As far as Marmion going back to the drawing board they have been hit hard by the injury bug. 3 state placers from last year out Ferrero, Jimenez as well as Gross. From what I understand as well McKenna has been injured as well. That makes four quality wrestlers out. As we know there are not many teams out there with back ups to come cover four wrestlers. With that being said I don't think they beat Montini or maybe even OPRF but they would be much more competitive for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynmaggot View Post
                            Yes the All Star teams are fun to watch in the National tournaments against other all star teams like St. Ed’s. They get to dual it out in the top bracket. All star vs all star. Then you have the GBNs who are local Carol Stream kids duking it out againts MN schools with kids from their local area. Where victory comes down to coaching and who trains the hardest every week. Not who recruited the best off season.

The Don Flavin Tournament was much more exciting to me then the Clash. Lots of close matches with many of the top non-All Star teams and wrestlers in the state. The Top Bracket had a three way tie that came down to tie breakers. The 2nd bracket came down to criterion to determine victory. This tournament showcased the future of IHSA wrestling in my opinion. The past. Kids wrestling for their local high school like Dekalb, Prospect, SCE, LWE, LWW, WN, NC, Rochelle, etc etc. I am sure no one in Dekalb the last couple of days thinks that Illinois Wrestling is down.
                            I'm not even going to comment on the "who recruited the best in the off season".

I like and appreciate both and that's the beauty of The Clash. While I'm calling the OPRF v Washington rematch I could look over to the championship mat and see Montini v St Edward...but also look at the 4th bracket dual between Ellsworth (WI) and Wasatch (UT) which also came down to the last match in a bracket won by Ellsworth on criteria...and the screams of loud and passionate fans. When OPRF wrestled Ellsworth in the semi-finals I was fortunate enough to have a long conversation with the announcer for Ellsworth and he stated that they specifically come to the Minnesota Christmas Tournament and The Clash so they COULD face teams like Apple Valley and OPRF! They wanted to face tough competition and top teams in the region/nation. God what a great attitude. People who piss and moan about "All-Star", "Super Teams", etc...I couldn't care less. I LOVE going to tournaments like The Ironman and The Clash BECAUSE you get to see the best wrestlers and teams in the nation head to head. If you have never seen the Ironman finals or the Championship Pool at The Clash it's unfortunate because it's an incredible atmosphere with outstanding wrestling. It's even better when I can see our top kids and teams beat the best from other states and programs and I enjoyed watching Montini clobber St Edward as much as I enjoyed OPRF thumping Apple Valley a few years ago.
                            Last edited by mckbln; 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I completely agree... I have never wrestled a day in my life and have zero interest in watching "B" level competition.

If I was/could coaching wrestling I would do everything in my power (go to clinics, promote, endless opportunities) to get my school/team be able to compete at the highest level. Doesn't every kid/team want that? If not I believe someone can do a better job than you.

I love this sport to watch the best kids in the Illinois/country wrestle, their technique, transitions wrestling, and relentless pursuit to dominate their opponent.

So going to Dekalb is great and everyone had a great time... Sounds awesome! (little jab, in all fun)

Go find a practice partner that is better than you...

Comment

Working...
                              X