CCL vs SWSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coachperry View Post
    Oh yea just what we should do talk about old oprf wrestlers instead of talking about wrestlers that are in high school now
    Or talk about both. It's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
      That same Spencer Lee that dominated the kiddy weights but was gonna get caught by the field when he started to wrestle older more physically mature athletes? That Spencer Lee?
      Yup. We'll see! Keep waiting and watching.

We were both there a few weeks ago when he lost a match and quit.

I believe he's being propped up by his parents. Eventually, there will be a situation where he'll have to carry his own ball. There will be a big challenge then.

Btw, I'm posting this here because it's supposed to be IL family. I have zero problem deleting if Hawkeye homers start showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Turban View Post
        Yup. We'll see! Keep waiting and watching.

We were both there a few weeks ago when he lost a match and quit.

I believe he's being propped up by his parents. Eventually, there will be a situation where he'll have to carry his own ball. There will be a big challenge then.

Btw, I'm posting this here because it's supposed to be IL family. I have zero problem deleting if Hawkeye homers start showing up.
        I didn't expect him to go undefeated. So he lost a tight controversial match to a top 10 kid months after an ACL surgery, in his 1st month of college wrestling as a true frosh? He has also beaten the kid who beat last year's champ, a 5th year senior national champ and TF a 3rd AA. He's in what I believe to be the best light weight room in the country (coaches/practice partners) so I expect him to improve over the next several years. But even if he doesn't and he stays at the level he's at now....
        C'mon man.

Comment

I didn't expect him to go undefeated. So he lost a tight controversial match to a top 10 kid months after an ACL surgery, in his 1st month of college wrestling as a true frosh? He has also beaten the kid who beat last year's champ, a 5th year senior national champ and TF a 3rd AA. He's in what I believe to be the best light weight room in the country (coaches/practice partners) so I expect him to improve over the next several years. But even if he doesn't and he stays at the level he's at now....
          C'mon man.
          I didn't expect him to quit either.

I don't deny the kid's abilities. I did think he'd have trouble in full seasons against guys. The jury is still out on that.

I don't hate on talent and hard work. But I've been around elite athletics the last 25 years. NOBODY makes it a whole career on top. Only kids I've ever seen do it is those who have been propped up by their parents... then they totally melt down somewhere along the way.

This situation has all the signs. When you move your family across the country so your son can live at home and you can influence his career, you are treading in deep water.

Independent resilience is required.

Comment

I didn't expect him to quit either.

I don't deny the kid's abilities. I did think he'd have trouble in full seasons against guys. The jury is still out on that.

I don't hate on talent and hard work. But I've been around elite athletics the last 25 years. NOBODY makes it a whole career on top. Only kids I've ever seen do it is those who have been propped up by their parents... then they totally melt down somewhere along the way.

This situation has all the signs. When you move your family across the country so your son can live at home and you can influence his career, you are treading in deep water.

Independent resilience is required.
            What you are saying may be true but has yet to be proven out in his case.

But you did change from your original argument that I disagreed with about him being more physically mature than his peers as the primary reason for his success. You said the field would catch him in college because he would lose that advantage. That didn't bear out.

Comment

What you are saying may be true but has yet to be proven out in his case.

But you did change from your original argument that I disagreed with about him being more physically mature than his peers as the primary reason for his success. You said the field would catch him in college because he would lose that advantage. That didn't bear out.
              It did actually. He's not throwing kids around like he did in high school. The young man is still a fabulous wrestler. And still none of the top guys are game-planning for him just yet. Rutgers will. We will. And everybody else will after today's result.

Comment

We? That's hilarious. Talk about being propped up by your parents. Clue, meet Less.

Comment

Originally posted by A.C. Slater View Post
                  We? That's hilarious. Talk about being propped up by your parents. Clue, meet Less.
                  Let me help you. "We" means Northwestern University. "Our" wrestler, in this case, is Sebastian Rivera.

Let's stay together Illinois wrestling.

Comment

Originally Posted by Red Turban

Let me help you. "We" means Northwestern University. "Our" wrestler, in this case, is Sebastian Rivera.

Sebastian Rivera is from New Jersey.

Back on the Spencer Lee topic, the Lee's are a very close nit family. Larry Lee is an experienced college professor which allowed him to find a teaching job in Iowa. This allowed him to move his family close to the University of Iowa to watch Spencer wrestle in college. Spencer lives on campus and his dormate is Jacob Warner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
                      Sebastian Rivera is from New Jersey.

Back on the Spencer Lee topic, the Lee's are a very close nit family. Larry Lee is an experienced college professor which allowed him to find a teaching job in Iowa. This allowed him to move his family close to the University of Iowa to watch Spencer wrestle in college. Spencer lives on campus and his dormate is Jacob Warner.
                      Thanks for clarification BulldogWrestler. Aaaand I think I'm out of this convo.

Comment

Final thought...

You know if we circled wagons around what benefits us, namely IL programs, Illinois wrestlers, and Illinois families, how much further along would we be?

We LOVE to throw rocks at each other on this board. I thought it was a wrestling thing, then I started reading other message boards. Nobody gets after each other like we do here.

My $.02

Comment

Red Turban,

I never went after you. I just clarified Spencer Lee's situation, which differs from your opinion. I do agree that your $.02 cents is right on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
                            Red Turban,

I never went after you. I just clarified Spencer Lee's situation, which differs from your opinion. I do agree that your $.02 cents is right on.
                            I do truly appreciate your clarification. Let's get together on the next one! This convo seems to have run its course.

Comment

Wow. That's even sadder.

Comment

Way to kill a good topic. You college dad's know there is a college tab ??????

Comment

Working...
                                X