Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who cancels tomorrow because of the snow

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who cancels tomorrow because of the snow

    Who cancels tomorrow because of the snow? Central IL canceled a bunch of meets last weekend.

  • #2
    Originally posted by 40 Reasons View Post
    Who cancels tomorrow because of the snow? Central IL canceled a bunch of meets last weekend.
    Don't expect the toughest conference in America to be scared of a little snow!

    Game on! Full steam ahead! (palm to face)
    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

    "No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

    ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon

    Comment


    • #3
      UEC Varsity at Streamwood is happening

      Comment


      • #4
        The Northern Illinois Big 12 tournament scheduled for tomorrow in LaSalle-Peru has been postponed. It will move to next Saturday (1/26) in DeKalb.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Truth is Out There View Post
          Don't expect the toughest conference in America to be scared of a little snow!

          Game on! Full steam ahead! (palm to face)
          I remember in 2005 CCL was scheduled to be held at Gordon Tech (DePaul today) and at 4:00 a.m. must of been 4-6 inches of heavy snow on the ground. My son was #1 @125 and was going for his 3rd title when he walked past me fully dressed, back pack on for an 8a.m. Weigh in. On a normal day it would take 45 mins to get there but this day 1.5 or more depending on the over night plows. So my wife ask with a really groggy & sleepy voice, “Are we cancelled yet.” The wrestler reply’s, “Get dressed Mom. It’s wrestling, snowing and it’s Chicago. Both will go on every January. We need to leave in 30.” We left at 5:00 rolled into to GT at 7:00. Everyone else came too. It snowed all day too but no one cared because we were wrestling. Snow don’t stop real wrestling.

          Comment


          • #6
            The pussification of Illinois is at full strength. Why cancel before any snow flies!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Stritchjanitor View Post
              The pussification of Illinois is at full strength. Why cancel before any snow flies!!
              So, if someone is going to a meet/tournament through 6 inches of snow and gets into a wreck, even through no fault of their own, and someone is hurt, or even killed - isn't that simple stupidity on the part of the host for not postponing?
              Or, are they just contributing to the "pussification of Illinois"?

              Before the "experts" () chime in and say - 'Anyone could get into a wreck anytime.......' - the odds go up exponentially in a snowstorm.
              How many of them have said to those "idiots on the road" to stay home when it is snowing?
              Next it will be - 'Then stay home if you're scared......'

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
                I remember in 2005 CCL was scheduled to be held at Gordon Tech (DePaul today) and at 4:00 a.m. must of been 4-6 inches of heavy snow on the ground. My son was #1 @125 and was going for his 3rd title when he walked past me fully dressed, back pack on for an 8a.m. Weigh in. On a normal day it would take 45 mins to get there but this day 1.5 or more depending on the over night plows. So my wife ask with a really groggy & sleepy voice, ďAre we cancelled yet.Ē The wrestler replyís, ďGet dressed Mom. Itís wrestling, snowing and itís Chicago. Both will go on every January. We need to leave in 30.Ē We left at 5:00 rolled into to GT at 7:00. Everyone else came too. It snowed all day too but no one cared because we were wrestling. Snow donít stop real wrestling.
                Spoken like a true cityite. Put that same 6 inches on a rural road with 20 mph winds and itís a far different story.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It is definitely different in the country than in the city.

                  Also, if a person gets in a wreck on the way to the meet, it is their own fault. They do not have to go to the meet, just because it is scheduled. Now if it is regionals or sectionals or state, then maybe you have point, but they can also leave a bit early.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lookleft goright View Post
                    It is definitely different in the country than in the city.

                    Also, if a person gets in a wreck on the way to the meet, it is their own fault. They do not have to go to the meet, just because it is scheduled. Now if it is regionals or sectionals or state, then maybe you have point, but they can also leave a bit early.
                    And there it is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ctdad View Post
                      Spoken like a true cityite. Put that same 6 inches on a rural road with 20 mph winds and itís a far different story.
                      You have obviously not driven on a Chicago side street when it snows. Unless it is an election year, the streets are pretty bad.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
                        So, if someone is going to a meet/tournament through 6 inches of snow and gets into a wreck, even through no fault of their own, and someone is hurt, or even killed - isn't that simple stupidity on the part of the host for not postponing?
                        Or, are they just contributing to the "pussification of Illinois"?

                        Before the "experts" () chime in and say - 'Anyone could get into a wreck anytime.......' - the odds go up exponentially in a snowstorm.
                        How many of them have said to those "idiots on the road" to stay home when it is snowing?

                        Next it will be - 'Then stay home if you're scared......'
                        It sure wouldn't be on the host, He wasn't driving carelessly or offensively. That host would extend times for the day of events. Everyone would understand.

                        Boom.... there it is! You don't cancel before the snow flies! Four in a half inches of snow in the midwest shouldn't cancel any event! I am sure all tourney directors will extend weigh-ins so everyone arrives safely. If you still believe you should of canceled south of I 90 today, you should think of moving.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stritchjanitor View Post
                          It sure wouldn't be on the host, He wasn't driving carelessly or offensively. That host would extend times for the day of events. Everyone would understand.

                          Boom.... there it is! You don't cancel before the snow flies! Four in a half inches of snow in the midwest shouldn't cancel any event! I am sure all tourney directors will extend weigh-ins so everyone arrives safely. If you still believe you should of canceled south of I 90 today, you should think of moving.
                          Who said they should cancel? Not me.
                          Read dummy - postpone.... (it is a word you may not have heard of)

                          Postponing an event does not mean it is cancelled, it means they will have the event at a later date.

                          You should also go back and read the part where I say "through no fault of their own" - obviously another confusing group of words called a sentence.

                          People could be driving perfectly and one of those careless and offensive drivers you so eloquently mention hits said perfect driver head on, because they left early to go to a wrestling meet because of the "Four in a half inches of snow in the midwest" so they could take their time and be safe.

                          Is it really a big deal that a meet/meet/tournament gets postponed? (There's that word again).

                          OR

                          Are you just upset that I didn't jump on your "pussification" bandwagon?

                          BOOM - THERE it is........

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Junior View Post
                            You have obviously not driven on a Chicago side street when it snows. Unless it is an election year, the streets are pretty bad.
                            Side streets here in Moline are always horrible, election year or not. If you can get to a main road you’re fine.

                            But get out on a country road or even a rural interstate where there are no buildings to block blowing snow and you can get white out conditions where you can’t see anything. Add in a high profile vehicle like a school bus and you have a recipe for disaster.

                            I pass no judgement on decisions to hold or not hold events. Local people know their roads and clearing procedures and I’ll trust their judgement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ctdad View Post
                              Side streets here in Moline are always horrible, election year or not. If you can get to a main road youíre fine.

                              But get out on a country road or even a rural interstate where there are no buildings to block blowing snow and you can get white out conditions where you canít see anything. Add in a high profile vehicle like a school bus and you have a recipe for disaster.

                              I pass no judgement on decisions to hold or not hold events. Local people know their roads and clearing procedures and Iíll trust their judgement.
                              Ctdad I couldn't agree with you more. Safety of the athletes should come first.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X