What effect will the weather have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What effect will the weather have?

How will the weather effect Regionals? With school closings, can your team practice? If not will everyone make weight.

Looks like some schools could be closed Monday, Tuesday (no after school activities), Wednesday, Thursday. Will not being able to practice create some early upsets?

Looks like ALOT of public schools are closed already Wed/Thurs....which usually means, no practice.

Are public school teams allowed to practice at other places as a team?

Comment

My school got out early yesterday for weather which meant no practice. We are back in today, but it doesn't look promising for Wednesday and Thursday...Some wrestlers will definitely be struggling to keep their weight down, especially since last week we missed a few days as well.

Comment

At this point in the year, regardless of the situation with weather, if a kid isn't disciplined enough to maintain their weight then they don't deserve to be wrestling on Saturday. Even with no practices, find a way to be disciplined if you're truly committed.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_shelby1 View Post
          At this point in the year, regardless of the situation with weather, if a kid isn't disciplined enough to maintain their weight then they don't deserve to be wrestling on Saturday. Even with no practices, find a way to be disciplined if you're truly committed.
          I disagree, by now you should have a routine to maintain weight in a healthy manner. By not being able to practice your routine is completely thrown off. You can't go for a run outside. I'm sure some kids can afford to go to a health club but not all. Oh, by the way they are kids, not professionals so they do dumb things all the time. Every year we have some kids not make weight. This year might see a lot more.

Comment

Montini can at least go to Izzy Style. The empire strikes back!

Comment

Originally posted by chino1992 View Post
              The empire strikes back!
              That was last year...

Broncos: The Horse Awakens
              "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by eagle View Post
                I disagree, by now you should have a routine to maintain weight in a healthy manner. By not being able to practice your routine is completely thrown off. You can't go for a run outside. I'm sure some kids can afford to go to a health club but not all. Oh, by the way they are kids, not professionals so they do dumb things all the time. Every year we have some kids not make weight. This year might see a lot more.
                There are plenty of things for kids to do in the house that can help them get their cardio up and build a sweat. Not having a health club membership doesn't excuse you from getting work in. Kids do dumb things but at the same time demonstrating self-control and discipline is the mark of someone who cares. They don't have to be professionals to take their own goals seriously. Like I said, no excuse at this point in the year.

Comment

Everyone who matters at the top will make weight, but it won't be as easy as some posters act.

Big question is what will the weights be?

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_shelby1 View Post
                    There are plenty of things for kids to do in the house that can help them get their cardio up and build a sweat. Not having a health club membership doesn't excuse you from getting work in. Kids do dumb things but at the same time demonstrating self-control and discipline is the mark of someone who cares. They don't have to be professionals to take their own goals seriously. Like I said, no excuse at this point in the year.
                    Please list 10 things a high school kid can do to get their cardio up while indoors with no weights or cardio equipment. Also take in to account some of these kids have small bedrooms, no basement and live in apartments.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Turban View Post
                      Everyone who matters at the top will make weight, but it won't be as easy as some posters act.

Big question is what will the weights be?
                      I could see the IHSA allowing a consecutive day type allowance. Maybe even a 2 pound one. It’s not like a whole lot of schools are going to be in session the next couple days, even in the southern part of the state.

Then again, we are talking about the IHSA here.

I can also see the weather affecting the seeding meetings.

Comment

Yeah, no ever said wrestling is easy. I will assume it will be a challenge for some wrestlers for sure.

One thing my dad told me before he passed... "Hard work always pays off" "Don't ever be outworked" Find a way to make weight...

Bergan Catholic

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Campbell View Post
                          Please list 10 things a high school kid can do to get their cardio up while indoors with no weights or cardio equipment. Also take in to account some of these kids have small bedrooms, no basement and live in apartments.
                          I lived on a 3rd floor, 2 bedroom apartment. I would bag up, run the stairs in the hallway then sit on the radiator. When my *** got to hot. Iíd make the bathroom a shower. Didnít have a scale at home. Just knew whatever I ate or drank had to come off. I made weight . No excuses.

Comment

In 2011, the IHSA gave 2 lbs for Snowmageddon. Different regime now though.

Comment

The NFHS rulebook has something about if schools are closed the day before competition a 1 lb. allowance is given. I expect most if not all schools to be back in session by Friday but if even 1 school that has wrestling is closed everyone should get the extra lb. I also would not be surprised if the IHSA stepped in and gave either 1 or 2 lbs for Saturday based on extraordinary circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                              X