Dual State....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No BS fan View Post
    Looks like Marmion was hit for 1 team point. Anyone care to elaborate? I assume it was a common excess celebration penalty.
    MA Kid was hit for team point for resisting ref when raising his arm after match... the wrestler’s shoulder was hurt, strange that the ref had no interest in hearing the appeal.

Comment

After explanation, ref should have brought both coaches to table, explain what happened that he made the mistake raising the bad arm (especially if arm was visibly bad) and removed the team point penalty. thats the problem with some refs, i understand not changing a call on the mat. but this one was essentially correcting a "deadball" call

QUOTE=Beantown Boys;552110]MA Kid was hit for team point for resisting ref when raising his arm after match... the wrestler’s shoulder was hurt, strange that the ref had no interest in hearing the appeal.[/QUOTE]

Comment

The ref in question was the same guy who was the ref for the 106 3rd place match down state. Funny he didn’t give too many stalling points that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotdog25 View Post
          The ref in question was the same guy who was the ref for the 106 3rd place match down state. Funny he didn’t give too many stalling points that day.
          Seriously the worst ref'ing job I have ever seen in that 106 3rd place match. Just horrible. Guy really had no clue. No joke, it seemed like he was living in a bizzarro world. Even the other coaches were confused by some of his calls that went for their wrestler. It seemed like almost every single call he made was wrong. I know it is not easy to ref, but this guy should seriously consider doing something else.

Comment

Originally posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
            Seriously the worst ref'ing job I have ever seen in that 106 3rd place match. Just horrible. Guy really had no clue. No joke, it seemed like he was living in a bizzarro world. Even the other coaches were confused by some of his calls that went for their wrestler. It seemed like almost every single call he made was wrong. I know it is not easy to ref, but this guy should seriously consider doing something else.
            I used to think so too and then I rewatched it and tried to see what he was seeing. I originally thought there was some interesting/bad calls, but the video doesn't lie. On two occasions the ref chose to call a stall instead of fleeing the mat. I can see where he makes that call, but I'd have called a flee on both (same amount of points would be awarded). On the push out when Castleberry is on top, he lifts him, walks off the mat then returns. Pretty straight forward. On the 2nd one I'd have called a flee he gets slidby and is about to give up a takedown. Instead of circling out to avoid the takedown he backed straight off the mat.

I wasn't down there, but the only call I'm still not sure on is the takedown. There is a cradle locked up and Castleberry is on his hip. That does meet the criteria even if the ref was slow to award it.

The hardest part of this match for me to believe is that Castleberry wasn't given a flagrant misconduct for punching a kid and instead was just DQ'd out of the match and not the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by BDrag View Post
              I used to think so too and then I rewatched it and tried to see what he was seeing. I originally thought there was some interesting/bad calls, but the video doesn't lie. On two occasions the ref chose to call a stall instead of fleeing the mat. I can see where he makes that call, but I'd have called a flee on both (same amount of points would be awarded). On the push out when Castleberry is on top, he lifts him, walks off the mat then returns. Pretty straight forward. On the 2nd one I'd have called a flee he gets slidby and is about to give up a takedown. Instead of circling out to avoid the takedown he backed straight off the mat.

I wasn't down there, but the only call I'm still not sure on is the takedown. There is a cradle locked up and Castleberry is on his hip. That does meet the criteria even if the ref was slow to award it.

The hardest part of this match for me to believe is that Castleberry wasn't given a flagrant misconduct for punching a kid and instead was just DQ'd out of the match and not the tournament.
              I am in complete agreement with this. You touched on every point which went through my mind when I re-watched the match.

To be fair, it appeared to be a "slap" not a punch but he threw two more punches which didn't land.

That particular official (I don't know his name) earns his stripes if you ask me. I find his judgment and calls exemplary and I always like when I see him on the mat. Just my opinion.
              "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Comment

I think we have discussed this topic enough. I am Castleberry’s coach and I was in the corner during the match. The calls may look okay on film but I am positive that each one of you would think they are bad if they were against your wrestler. Castleberry has never lost his cool like this in the 4 years I have coached him and known him. How would you all feel if you wrestled hard to get back to the 3rd place match and there was nothing you could do because the ref was basically taking the match out of his hands. There was definitely not a punch thrown. I would characterize it as an aggressive head tap. The ref did the right thing by not disqualifying him from the tournament. He already took the match away, why take his medal away too. It is crazy how we are asking for a 17 year old kid to have been disqualified from a tournament. I did not want to weigh in and get involved in this matter, but I have seen enough keyboard warriors slander my guy’s name. If any of you have ever interacted with Jameir, you would know he is a super down to earth kid and very respectful. Let’s just try and get on with this whole situation. After talking to him the past week, he is over it, so why are people that have no attachment to the situation still bringing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Piratewrestling View Post
                  I think we have discussed this topic enough. I am Castleberry’s coach and I was in the corner during the match. The calls may look okay on film but I am positive that each one of you would think they are bad if they were against your wrestler. Castleberry has never lost his cool like this in the 4 years I have coached him and known him. How would you all feel if you wrestled hard to get back to the 3rd place match and there was nothing you could do because the ref was basically taking the match out of his hands. There was definitely not a punch thrown. I would characterize it as an aggressive head tap. The ref did the right thing by not disqualifying him from the tournament. He already took the match away, why take his medal away too. It is crazy how we are asking for a 17 year old kid to have been disqualified from a tournament. I did not want to weigh in and get involved in this matter, but I have seen enough keyboard warriors slander my guy’s name. If any of you have ever interacted with Jameir, you would know he is a super down to earth kid and very respectful. Let’s just try and get on with this whole situation. After talking to him the past week, he is over it, so why are people that have no attachment to the situation still bringing it up.
                  Well you weighed in coach, asked everyone to stop, and then said the ref was wrong and stole a match. It doesn't work like that. If you had said enough is enough put it to bed and remained impartial then I'd say, "sure, no problem".

So what are your thoughts coach? He got slidby and back peddled right off the mat. He lifted his opponent and walked him off the mat before returning him. How was the ref supposed to call either of those events?
                  Last edited by BDrag; 02-22-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Everything is situational. The mat return was in a tight waste ankle ride, and their momentum forced them off the mat. I get how it looks but I don’t think that was the intent to ride him out. I kind of understand the slide by, but that was later on in the match where we knew nothing was going to be called right. We received a pretty iffy hands to the face call within the first half of the 1st period, and then received a stall call in the first after we had forced the majority of the action. Not taking anything away from Thompson, kid is tough as nails, but the whole portrayal of Castleberry is just wrong. Just sticking up for my guy, same as anyone else would do.

Comment

• If you've shared with your wrestler that this match was "taken out of his hands" by the ref then you too are part of the problem which led to the DQ.

Not a punch thrown. Aggressive head tap.

I didn't know Alexandria Occasional-Cortex was into coaching...
                      "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Comment

• Here's the Edwardsville-LWW box for those who were looking. Believe it's still not up on track, but may be missing it somewhere.

Started at 152, came down to last match at 145

152-Chris Kennedy, LWW d. Drew Gvillo, EDW 11-3 MD LWW 4-0
                        160-Brock Pfeifer, LWW d. Caleb Harrold, EDW 6-3 LWW 7-0
                        170-Josh Pakula, LWW d. Simon Weakley, EDW pin 2:56 LWW 13-0
                        182-Jacob Cronk, LWW d. Sam Martin, EDW pin 3:50 LWW 19-0
                        195-Blake Moss, EDW d. Peyton Knepper, LWW 10-6 LWW 19-3
                        220-Josh Anderson, EDW d. Griffin Ketelaar, LWW 8-6 LWW 19-6
                        285-Lloyd Reynolds, EDW d. Brian White, LWW 7-1 LWW 19-9
                        106-Grant Martarelli, EDW d. Josh McLean, LWW pin 5:12 LWW 19-15
                        113-Conor Surtin, EDW d. Johnny Buell, LWW 11-4 LWW 19-18
                        120-Dylan Gvillo, EDW d. Jake Simon, LWW 11-6 EDW 21-19
                        126-Noah Surtin, EDW d. Cameron Knepper, LWW pin 1:54 EDW 27-19
                        132-Javen Estrada, LWW d. Jack Evans, EDW pin 1:42 EDW 27-25
                        138-Garrett Geigner, LWW d. Mason Wilke, EDW 4-1 LWW 28-27
                        145-Will Zupanci, EDW d. Payton Geigner, LWW 4-2 EDW 30-28

Comment

Working...
                        X