Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressive teams @Conant

Watching the sectionals at Conant.

I was impressed by these teams, their wresters, and program development. They usually haven't stood out too much in the past. But, impressive this weekend.

Maine South- Kids looked tough and big boys can wrestle. Their 182lber takes out Assad!

Evanston- They have some good kids that looked really tough. Throughout their team.

Taft- I believe they had 3 State qualifiers. Looked technical and conditioned.

Taft is always an elite team at the City Championships

Comment

Originally posted by cradle54 View Post
      Watching the sectionals at Conant.

I was impressed by these teams, their wresters, and program development. They usually haven't stood out too much in the past. But, impressive this weekend.

Maine South- Kids looked tough and big boys can wrestle. Their 182lber takes out Assad!

Evanston- They have some good kids that looked really tough. Throughout their team.

Taft- I believe they had 3 State qualifiers. Looked technical and conditioned.
      The fact that Assad lost was very surprising.Kudos to Halvorsen of Maine South

Comment

Kudos to Halvorsen also.Nice win. Unless Assad is hurt/sick, maybe would have been wise to actually not beat him at Sectionals. If Assad is healthy at state, they may have just poked the lion with a stick a little early. Disclaimer: Don't know Assad or Halvorsen in anyway shape or form. Just that we have seen it before. Gotta win when it counts. Louis Hayes lost to Real Woods 3 times a few years ago. Including in the finals at Sectionals. But surprised him in the finals at State. Had Hayes beat Woods at Sectionals, highly doubt he would have beat him in the state finals. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Comment

DeKalb... All 14 qualified for sectionals

- They Qualified 10 wrestlers the most (tied Montini) in all 4 sectionals

- Every wrestler wrestled up to their ranking (*most teams don't)

- Four wrestlers wrestled/finished above their ranking, one non ranking

- Two non qualifiers lost to placers by 1pt

- At least three closed the point gap of a previous in season loss

Comment

Wow!

Dekalb looked great as well... I didn't realize they had that many wow!

Comment

Kudos to the DeKalb Barbs. Ten state qualifiers and an OT loss away from an 11th qualifier. Four of the ten qualifiers are freshmen (T. Curran, D. Curran, D. Lopez & Gillum) and two are sophomores (Aranda & McGee) so, the future looks bright.

Side notes:
              - Because I'm curious, I wish someone with more time (smarter) than me calculated tournament scoring between DeKalb & OPRF.
              - Fabian Lopez vs Zaccone at 132 will be one of the best matches on Thursday.
              - If they both make it through their brackets, Christensen vs Dahnweih at 195 could be a great finals match-up.

Comment

Originally posted by TakeDownTwo View Post
                Kudos to the DeKalb Barbs. Ten state qualifiers and an OT loss away from an 11th qualifier. Four of the ten qualifiers are freshmen (T. Curran, D. Curran, D. Lopez & Gillum) and two are sophomores (Aranda & McGee) so, the future looks bright.

Side notes:
                - Because I'm curious, I wish someone with more time (smarter) than me calculated tournament scoring between DeKalb & OPRF.
                - If they both make it through their brackets, Christensen vs Dahnweih at 195 could be a great finals match-up.
                Went over it quickly. I came up with Dekalb 213 1/2 Oak Park 198 1/2. Thanks for giving me an excuse to not work and do something more fun for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainefan View Post
                  Went over it quickly. I came up with Dekalb 213 1/2 Oak Park 198 1/2. Thanks for giving me an excuse to not work and do something more fun for me.
                  I had it DeKalb 198 and oprf 196 either way DeKalb outscored them.At Bolingbrook Montini 207.5 Marmion 161.5 MT Carmel 153

Comment

Originally posted by TakeDownTwo View Post

Side notes:
                    Great looking young team with feeders to keep the momentum going. I like watching them scrap. Love the attitude of both Lopez boys.

Comment

DeKalb is scary good based on all the young talent they have

Comment

Dekalb

Let us also give credit to Coach Sam Hiatt and his staff.

Comment

Originally posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
                          Kudos to Halvorsen also.Nice win. Unless Assad is hurt/sick, maybe would have been wise to actually not beat him at Sectionals. If Assad is healthy at state, they may have just poked the lion with a stick a little early. Disclaimer: Don't know Assad or Halvorsen in anyway shape or form. Just that we have seen it before. Gotta win when it counts. Louis Hayes lost to Real Woods 3 times a few years ago. Including in the finals at Sectionals. But surprised him in the finals at State. Had Hayes beat Woods at Sectionals, highly doubt he would have beat him in the state finals. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Iím calling a upset again. The two styles donít match well for the way that Abe wrestles now. It will work in the favor of Halvorsen I think.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
                            Great looking young team with feeders to keep the momentum going. I like watching them scrap. Love the attitude of both Lopez boys.
                            Put the match with your son and lopez on! That was a great semi final OT match! I also loved the match with Fabian in championship with bolivar

Comment

I was impressed with the over all wrestling talent at Conant Sectional.

Comment

Working...
                              X