3A State Scores By Sectional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by man1234 View Post
    Fairly certain the Marmion Cadets are all kids from the area. Not sure about other kids this year or in past years...<cough>woods<cough>
    Oh I'm sorry... did I post last year's article by mistake? I didn't think Woods made much of an impact at sectionals this year.

In all seriousness though, I thought that particular remark from Coach pertained to some kids who might live in Indiana but who attend school in Illinois. I'm not even sure that's accurate either.
    "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

ďBeing honest may not get you a lot of friends but itíll always get you the right ones.Ē -- John Lennon

Comment

Geography

Originally posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
      At least Woods actually resided in the state. Meaning he slept here. Eat here. Probably walked his dog here (if he has/had one). Some of the Mount Carmel kids actually wake up every morning in Indiana where they live. Some folks I think would be amazed that there are Indiana kids, who still live in Indiana, that are participating in the IHSA. Just call me crazy, but I doubt most logical people would think this is OK.
      Obviously not crazy about the whole Woods thing, and it seems like the IHSA has tried to put up some road blocks on this kind of stuff, but somehow the Mount Carmel situation is OK by the IHSA ?

MC is located minutes from IL/IA border.They have always drawn from that area. The kids come in search of the best. The combination of religion,education, and athletics are the pillars. The opportunity to wrestle for a GREAT MAN,with a awesome staff and fantastic schedule, in passably
      the best conference in the USA is part of the reason they come. Every private school near a state border has crossovers. Seed all the top schools
      to get the best kids in Champagne. I want the best,to beat the best,to be the best.Illinois a destination, because our tournament is THE BEST!

Comment

Originally posted by otis View Post
        MC is located minutes from IL/IA border.They have always drawn from that area.
        I think you meant the IL/IN border. The Iowa border is about 170 miles west.

Every private school near a state border has crossovers.
        I can only speak for Rock Island Alleman, but I am unaware of them having any crossovers so far as wrestling is concerned. I think there have been a few going the other way to Davenport Assumption (Topher Carton comes to mind from 6-7 years ago; he won 2 titles at Alleman then transferred over to Assumption for his last 2 years).

Seed all the top schools to get the best kids in Champagne. I want the best,to beat the best,to be the best.Illinois a destination, because our tournament is THE BEST!
        How do you seed them? With the exception of football, no sport in the state is seeded from the state level down, and football goes by record and playoff points, no subjectivity).

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
          I talk about teams - TEAMS - and you talk about individuals.

Did I say or imply that the kids didn't work hard?

The kids are ALL (or mostly all) great wrestlers, otherwise I doubt many would be there.
          That is my point, when you are able to recruit kids, from wherever, you can become one of those "perennially top teams". It also helps to have coaches who are great recruiters (salesmen).

The argument is that when you have to build from within your school's district limits it becomes much harder to sustain any kind of success.
          The coaches who are able to do that, without breaking the rules, are the real coaches.
          Unfortunately it has become harder and harder to do with specialization, every parent thinking their kid is the next Jordan Burroughs, and the myth that your kid cannot have success unless they go to a private school.

Take some of the teams we see at or near the top every year, look at their rosters, it would be hard to argue that any good coach could not have success with those kids on their team.

Am I saying that the head coaches of the top programs aren't good coaches?
          Absolutely NOT.
          But you cannot tell me that they are the ones making those kids great, they are already great. They may be making them better, but who's to say that many of the "other" great public school coaches wouldn't be able to do the same thing?

Defenders of private schools need to stop looking at a criticism of the practices of those schools as an attack on the kids themselves, at least from me.
          I do not blame the kids, or their parents for that matter if they go to a private school. If that is what you want for your kids, fine. Good luck.
          Not everyone can (or wants to) send their children to a private school.

So much for it being an argument for another thread.........
          simply a misunderstanding I guess. I thought the catholic schools had a distance limit as well. I get it may be bigger, but I don't know what it is although I know some families have up and moved to get within range, yet I know some public school wrestlers that just had to petition to move schools or set up residence with a grandparent to wrestle at another school of their choice. I've also seen kids sit out a year after transferring from public school to catholic. I wouldn't send my kid to a private school just for the wrestling. It's the combination of wrestling and academics. I know that's not the case for everyone. Some do think they're kid will be the next "something...I don't know what" but that's been going on forever in all sports. It's a shame, they can't just let the kids wrestle, study, use wrestling to get into a good school that maybe they wouldn't without it...after all isn't that the point in most cases (not all), I know some successful wrestlers that skipped the college route.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh Prince View Post
            If the current crop of Marmion Cadets are from the area which public high school(s) would they attend?
            A handful to St. Charles North for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Truth is Out There View Post
              Oh I'm sorry... did I post last year's article by mistake? I didn't think Woods made much of an impact at sectionals this year.

In all seriousness though, I thought that particular remark from Coach pertained to some kids who might live in Indiana but who attend school in Illinois. I'm not even sure that's accurate either.
              I thought it might pertain to some kids that were brought from a little further away, or just in general that practice going on, recruiting around the country and setting them up here...we weren't really talking about this years sectionals I get it...but the practice of bringing in kids, was my understanding is all.

Comment

Originally posted by wrestle1 View Post
                They still need to reassign the sectionals!

Having Montini, Marmion and Mt Carmel all in the same sectional is just stupid. They are not even close geographically together and three of the perennially best teams should not be together.
                Originally posted by Truth is Out There View Post
                Well... if you pack all the powerhouse privates into the same sectional it becomes a stranglehold to get anyone else out, no?

With just the 3 M's you have three (at least two) of four spots accounted for at most of the weights. And a half dozen or so decent other schools fighting for that fourth spot.

That was my take on it.
                Originally posted by ToughestSportEver View Post
                The bottom line is that due to IHSAís desire to stick to the catholic schools, they are undoubtedly killing the other schools in that sectional. They need to figure out a better way to disperse the schools somewhat. Itís obviously very political. It is not catholic schools fault. There is nothing magical about most of the kids that attend these schools other than that they work their tail off. Peter Christensen was nothing special in the IKWF. Is their something super natural about where he went to school? No. You acting like everyone attending these schools are being brought in from out of state like how Blair and Bergen recruit, but they are not. Work hard and earn the right to qualify. But I would probably be pissed off being stuck with all of them too. The IHSA shows their politics with keeping them all together.
                These 'ideas/concerns/complaints/episodes of whiny behavior' () wouldn't have anything to do with you guys wanting them all to be assigned to different regionals so there would be a better chance that they would all be regional champions, would it?

Nah....
                That would put a private school stranglehold on the dual team state series.

Comment

Having Montini, Marmion and Mt Carmel all in the same sectional is just stupid. They are not even close geographically together and three of the perennially best teams should not be together.
                  LOL, really
                  You need to rethink your argument. "Not even that close" is not getting it done.

Comment

?Dilusional. Want to wrestle for the best but want the easiest way out?
                    They should have there own state series let alone there own sectional. There is no logical reasoning either way. If you think they are the best or want to be the best there should be no argument putting the best together. Otherwise you are looking for a ribbon and the easiest way out. You want to compete with farm boys that started wrestling in 9th grade or wrestle tougher competition and plan on a college scholarship? You canít have your cake and eat it too. There is no reason whatsoever IHSA canít have a catholic series and two other series for the rest besides pure laziness. No excuse. Either you want the competition or you donít. Horrible structure.

Comment

Working...
                    X