Rules Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Question

Good Morning referees and coaches in both real life and in the bleachers, as well as all the glory day Dads.

I have a legit question in regards to wrestlers on their feet when one wrestler is in control and about to take the other wrestler to the mat.

Wrestler A is on top/behind, has arm trapped and is attempting to bring Wrestler B back to the mat.

Wrestler A side steps to get hip to hip, steps in front to trip forward just above the knee of Wrestler B, and hyperextends wrestler's knee.

Is it just part of wrestling and tough break Wrestler B? Does it fall under the area of potentially dangerous and the ref may stop the match when Wrestler A's leg swings in front for the trip? Is it an illegal move and a point be awarded?

Ready...set...go!!!!

Rule

So we are on the same page, letís assume when A steps to be hip to hip Aí s right hip is next to Bís left hip. If A trips with his outside leg (left) it is legal. If A steps in front with his inside leg ( right) it locks Bís left knee and should be stopped as potentially dangerous. A should be warned not to trip that way.
    wrestlingfan

Comment

Originally posted by refsforfun View Post
      So we are on the same page, letís assume when A steps to be hip to hip Aí s right hip is next to Bís left hip. If A trips with his outside leg (left) it is legal. If A steps in front with his inside leg ( right) it locks Bís left knee and should be stopped as potentially dangerous. A should be warned not to trip that way.
      That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Comment

But..,

If A gets his hip in front while stepping in front with his right leg it becomes a throw and is legal. Stepping in front with the hip does not lock Bís knee.
        wrestlingfan

Comment

Originally posted by refsforfun View Post
          If A gets his hip in front while stepping in front with his right leg it becomes a throw and is legal. Stepping in front with the hip does not lock Bís knee.
          Thank you!

Comment

Refsforfun, lets assume wrestler A steps in front with his right leg (in your example) and trips before the official can stop for potentially dangerous and returns wrestler B, does the official still stop the match? At what point is it illegal and not just PD?

Comment

If I am understanding this correctly, if wrestler on bottom steps behind kid on top, kid on top should get his hips up under him and toss him for five!!!!
              Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

when to stop

Sometimes things happen so quickly you don't have time to stop it. In the situation rasslinfan describes, the match should still be stopped for potentially dangerous and restarted from the appropriate position. Similar to a lift with the arm trapped, it is difficult to stop the action in midair, but the match should be stopped for potentially dangerous.

As far as when does it become illegal, if A continues to do the same move it would be called illegal. That's why I mentioned I would tell wrestler A not to do the same move again. You see this a lot in youth wrestling because they often don't know. Once they are told usually it doesn't happen again.
                wrestlingfan

Comment

Thanks refsforfun!

Comment

Working...
                  X