2nd period choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd period choice

Why are some coaches so quick to have their kids defer in the second period?

Originally posted by J.J. View Post
    Depends on the kid and the opponent, but I think they want to know what they will need to do in the 3rd.

The one that I will never understand is deferring after a scoreless 1st, yet you see it a lot. In the UTB, the wrestler who scored first gets the choice; I would think taking bottom after a scoreless 1st would be your best bet to assure that choice. If you don't get out, that's on you.

Comment

Because once you get to the third period, you now have 4 min of the match to look at to determine where your best opportunity to score points or secure the match might be......as opposed to the 2 min you have to look at if you simply exercise your choice rather than defer. Unless you know you are heads and tails better than your opponent in all 3 positions, taking the extra 2 min to figure things out can be an advantage over the alternative.

Comment

For many the default protocol is defer and if opponent deferred, choose down regardless of wrestlers, score or situation. I have seen wrestlers give up double digit margins in the 1st period only to defer choice as though there is a great chance they'll ever get to the third. At the IHSA tournament I saw 2 kids known to be hammers on top wrestle and one struck early with a td and 2 or 3 turns in the 1st... then chooses bottom and fights off a cradle for 4 minutes. This happens at all levels including some B1G programs. Knowing this I have had many of the stronger top wrestlers I've coached defer in the 2nd... often giving them the opportunity on top twice. I have also never been shy about having a wrestler choose top if I think that gives him the best chance to win.

Know the wrestlers and actually consider the situation before choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdad View Post
          Depends on the kid and the opponent, but I think they want to know what they will need to do in the 3rd.

The one that I will never understand is deferring after a scoreless 1st, yet you see it a lot. In the UTB, the wrestler who scored first gets the choice; I would think taking bottom after a scoreless 1st would be your best bet to assure that choice. If you don't get out, that's on you.
          This comes up a lot, and after reading the posts in this thread I do understand that the extra two minutes is a luxury for the deferring wrestler. That being said, I have seen times where the ultimate tie-breaker was decided by the choice to defer. Then again, the top wrestler does have an opportunity to earn back points to get the first point advantage.

While the UTB situation does come into play, I find that the vast majority of the times I think the match might end up in that territory, wrestlers score points and the UTB stays dormant.

In the individual state series, it's a much tougher decision than in the regular decision I do believe.

Good post.

Another "quick decision" that I am observing now is that I very rarely see the optional start being used. Most wrestlers would rather just restart on the line and get after it that way. It's interesting how wrestling strategy evolves.
          Webmaster | OPRF Wrestling | O.&.B.W.C. | FORUM RULES

Comment

Working...
          X