Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rational analysis of the Izzy situation

TL;DW. Sorry

Is that text lingo? Can you please translate. Or we can just reverse this thread to explain to us what happened to the Northwestern coach?
    Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

Bump. Everyone loves this stuff unless itís in their own backyard.
      Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

Comment

That means, too long, didn't write. I figured we could go through the history of moral philosophy but it would be wasted here.

Comment

Question for anyone who might know.

Which of Izzy's Montini guys have gone on to college and had steller careers through to the international level. Did he have many/any?

Don't give me the guys who weren't on his team who he likes to take credit for (Ramos, Jon Bones Jones, etc.) Since he has been head coach, who's outperformed Izzy at the next level?

Comment

None.

Izzy has only been the head coach since 2011, Will Lewan (Cadet World Champ) probably has the best international career, but Dylan Ragusin and Real Woods have also made age level world teams.

Comment

Assad didnít do the Monitini thing but trained with Izzy for several years. Has the freestyle/Greco credit you question and now a serious D1 threat. Was this kid really a senior last year?

Comment

Hmmm, yeah.

Just curious if Izzy's unconventional tactics have really paid off.

a highly valued view of morality is that whatever has the greatest utility is that which is right and good. What is utility and how you define it is where the debate lies.

Izzy did an alright job, in one sense at least. I don't know all the details. Maybe his being there was a transitory thing that was necessary to proceed to an even higher level. History is filled with examples of wrongs that had to happen to get to higher ground. It is the root cause of war.

So maybe Montini needs someone with a bigger vision now. I believe high school wrestling should not be the end goal of these kids' lives.

Comment

Originally posted by miketamillow View Post
                  Hmmm, yeah.

Just curious if Izzy's unconventional tactics have really paid off.

a highly valued view of morality is that whatever has the greatest utility is that which is right and good. What is utility and how you define it is where the debate lies.

Izzy did an alright job, in one sense at least. I don't know all the details. Maybe his being there was a transitory thing that was necessary to proceed to an even higher level. History is filled with examples of wrongs that had to happen to get to higher ground. It is the root cause of war.

So maybe Montini needs someone with a bigger vision now. I believe high school wrestling should not be the end goal of these kids' lives.
                  5 Seniors from this year's team are going on to wrestle in college. What are you getting at?
                  You're the disease and I'm the cure, Cobra Corps
                  YNEOW

Comment

Amen

Originally posted by waahooo View Post
                    5 Seniors from this year's team are going on to wrestle in college. What are you getting at?
                    Wahoo always the voice of reason. I think some people may have lost perspective of what high school sports are about. 98% of high school athletes are done after graduation. The idea is to learn teamwork, toughness and discipline. If you can get a scholarship for college thatís an amazing accomplishment never mind one to Stanford, Michigan or NC from last year (I canít remember where Christensen went). Not everyone is going to be and AA in college or an Olympian.
                    So thatís at least 9 scholarships in the last two years MikeTammillow so ....

Comment

Originally posted by waahooo View Post
                      I mean what I say, but I don't always say what I mean.

Yes, impressive, I agree. It is an admirable and worthy accomplishment

It takes an incredible sense of self-worth to succeed at the next level. I've met a lot of counterfactual characters who are just as good as I am at wrestling, "if only" they went to Montini or Iowa, or had this or that opportunity...

Izzy was a great high school wrestler. I wasn't that great. But I didn't listen to anyone who would have told me that. I knew my own worth BEFORE I won anything.
                      Last edited by miketamillow; 03-09-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

A whole thread?

Holding him responsible for the on mat success/failures/otherwise of kids he no longer coaches as they handle the demands of competing at the next level while transitioning into adulthood under various environments/circumstances he doesn't control?

Not so wild guess here but you would be the same guy poopooing IKWF coaches taking credit for some 17 year old having success in the IHSA. I would also be the same guy kinda proud that OPRF leads the IHSA in alumni that went on to snag NCAA D1 AAs.
                        But keep it in perspective. When I'm not pumped full of adrenaline during competition I've actually done a lotta reflecting.

Invite him to a bridge down by the river or let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
                          Holding him responsible for the on mat success/failures/otherwise of kids he no longer coaches as they handle the demands of competing at the next level while transitioning into adulthood under various environments/circumstances he doesn't control?
                          No, not exactly. And yes, to an extent - because it comes down to vision and community. Am I my brother's keeper? God says, yes, yes you are. If you can't do that job you will be banished to walk the earth aimlessly.

Coach Powell instills self-worth in the athletes who have worked under him, and pushes them to attain success at the next level, as well as welcoming them back as leaders to the next generation. That's why the Dardanes brothers, Ellis Coleman, Sam Brooks, Kamal Bey, etc have gone above and beyond. I personally know and have wrestled with each of them. It's the difference between a good coach and a great coach.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by miketamillow View Post
                            No, not exactly. And yes, to an extent - because it comes down to vision and community. Am I my brother's keeper? God says, yes, yes you are. If you can't do that job you will be banished to walk the earth aimlessly.

Coach Powell instills self-worth in the athletes who have worked under him, and pushes them to attain success at the next level, as well as welcoming them back as leaders to the next generation. That's why the Dardanes brothers, Ellis Coleman, Sam Brooks, Kamal Bey, etc have gone above and beyond. I personally know and have wrestled with each of them. It's the difference between a good coach and a great coach.
                            Oh, you know those guys do ya?

It's probably those guys that are not household names that would indicate that difference in coaching and I'm sure as he's repeatedly said for years that Mike Powell would agree.

A lot of morality and end goals of kids' lives talk for you to break it down to onmat success only.

Have a good evening.
                            Last edited by PapaBearSLIM; 03-09-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
                              Oh, you know those guys do ya?

It's probably those guys that are not household names that would indicate that difference in coaching and I'm sure as he's repeatedly said for years that Mike Powell would agree.

A lot of morality and end goals of kids' lives talk for you to break it down to onmat success only.

Have a good evening.
                              Of course mike knows those guys, heís actually from oak park!

Comment

Working...
                              X