Top Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

We are back!

Unfortunately, our server was hacked due to a vulnerability in our forum software, which forced us to migrate to an entirely new server. This process took some time, but we are back!
See more
See less

Mt. Carmel wins big, Akui shines for St. Rita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Carmel wins big, Akui shines for St. Rita

By Andre’ Morgan
    Illinois Matmen

The star-studded luster of recent Mt. Carmel versus St. Rita duals appeared to have worn off with the 39 to 18 thrashing administered by the Caravan last night at St. Rita. Third ranked Mt. Carmel (15-2) pounded St. Laurence 68-6 as did St. Rita (13-4) 65-8 in the Chicago Catholic League triangular meet.

However, there was an official sighting of St. Rita’s 171-pound All-American Jahwon Akui. Missing in action so far this season with a high left ankle sprain suffered during the football season, Akui, who scored 30 touchdowns as a halfback for the Mustangs, did not fail to disappoint. As a preview, Akui looked great delivering a quick technical fall of his St. Laurence opponent and waited for the main event.

With the St. Rita/Mt. Carmel dual winner never in doubt, most fans in attendance waited to see if Akui would match up with Mt. Carmel’s top ranked Charles Argue. Both wrestlers provided excellent theater while warming up four matches prior to the 189-pound match. Most of the crowd kept an eye on Akui, who warmed up feverishly even disappearing for a few moments from the floor when he saw Argue get up to begin warming up. With their other eye on Argue wearing his head phones, putting his head gear on and shadow wrestling right up to the last minute, the fans were on the edge of their seats in anticipation.

As it turned out, that was the match that never was. Argue did not report to the scorers table, instead simultaneously taking off his shirt was MC freshman David Denne. Argue was motioned to the bench by Head Coach Jason Erwinski, and Denne headed into battle with Akui. The crowd released a collective disappointed sigh which immediately turned into a gasp when Denne took the opening shot on Akui taking him down, but the takedown was ruled out of bounds. From that moment on it became the Akui show as he built up a 4-0 lead before pinning Denne.

“I’m back!” stated Akui. “I feel good. I think if I wrestle my best four matches downstate, I will get to where I am trying to be on the podium. I wrestled 47 matches last year and took third. Even though I will have less matches I am good to go.”

The Caravan in their final tune up before heading to The Clash dual tournament in Minnesota received little resistance from a young St. Rita team. The Mustangs opened up with a promising 4-0 win by Mike O’Connor (103) before Mt. Carmel rolled off nine straight wins. Falls by Brendan Tyler Hall (112), Mike Mizaur (119) and Ricky Robertson (125) got MC going in the right direction. With an 18-3 lead, Justin Perkins got a takedown as time expired in the third period to defeat Kyle McGovern in the evening’s most competitive match. Tyler Argue (135) decisioned the Mustang's Johnny Pentak 7-4 followed by a Tim Course (140) major decision. Wins by Chris Wright (145) and Nick Gelsosomo (160) sandwiched a Brian Strenk (152) technical fall.

“I think Dan (Manzella) is bringing the St. Rita program along fine,” said Erwinski. “Our middle weights are starting to carry our line up. 112 to 160 did not lose a match all night and that is what we want.”

Tony Doorry (171) stopped the bleeding for St. Rita with a 7-4 win as the Mustangs went on their own mini run including the Akui (189) pin and an 8-4 Ben Threloff (215) decision. St. Rita picked up one more win to conclude the meet when heavyweight Gonzo Gonzalez won 4-0 for the Mustangs over Armani Brown-Hall.

“I think Akui looked like he was in mid-season form,” said Manzella. “He is in better shape than he was in last year this time. We have him working everyday with assistant coach Dan Keenan, who is a former Marine Special Forces officer. We are working hard, quick, fast and in a hurry to get him ready for state.”

St. Rita wrestles tonight (Thursday) at Marist 5 p.m. and Mt. Carmel leaves for this weekend’s national dual competition at The Clash in Rochester, Minnesota.

Mt. Carmel 39, St. Rita 18
    103: Mike O’Connor (SR) DEC Jim Regan (MC) 4-0, 3-0 SR
    112: Brendan Tyler-Hall (MC) FALL Matt Cohen (SR) 1:19, 6-3 MC
    119: Mike Mizaur (MC) FALL Alex Ramos (SR) 3:12, 12-3 MC
    125: Ricky Robertson (MC) FALL Ryan Murray (SR) 3:28, 18-3 MC
    130: Justin Perkins (MC) DEC Kyle McGovern (SR) 14-13, 21-3 MC
    135: Tyler Argue (MC) DEC Johnny Pentex (SR) 7-4, 24-3 MC
    140: Tim Course (MC) MAJ DEC Zack Pickering (SR) 16-6, 28-3 MC
    145: Chris Wright (MC) DEC Mario Gurgone (SR) 7-0, 31-3 MC
    152: Brian Strenk (MC) TECH FALL Ryan Hugelet (SR), 36-3 MC
    160: Nick Gelsosomo (MC) DEC Eric Nolan (SR) 9-7, 39-3 MC
    171: Tony Doory (SR) DEC Pat Zalatoros (MC) 7-4, 39-6 MC
    189: Jahwon Akui (SR) FALL David Denne (MC), 39-12 MC
    215: Ben Threloff (SR) DEC Enrique Larios (MC) 8-4, 39-15 MC
    285: Gonzo Gonzalez (SR) DEC Armani Brown-Hall (MC) 4-0, 39-18 MC
    Illinois' Premier Wrestling Website

nice to see akui back on the mat
    "Unless you continually work, evolve, and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has" -CAEL SANDERSON

Comment

Let's see him take on Munster

Now that is a match up I would love to see!

Comment

Originally posted by Wic407 View Post
        Now that is a match up I would love to see!
        Well it will happen or could happen at state only!

Comment

171 or 189?

The article says Akui is the 171 lb wrestler. Isn't Munster at 189?

Comment

Oh yeah

Originally posted by old119 View Post
            The article says Akui is the 171 lb wrestler. Isn't Munster at 189?

I can't imagine Akui going 189 for state, he isn't that tall, but it would be a fun match up to watch if Akui stays at 189.

OK, how is his last name pronounced? I hear announcers say "A-koo" but then I have heard "A-Koo-e"

Comment

" Aah-Key "
              Just Shut Up & Wrestle

Comment

He needs to cut to 171 or he will struggle. IMO Munster would at least major him and he can't beat Dwyer or Hecox either.

Comment

While Munster wouold probably be the favorite against Akui, only a fool would count Jawon out of the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by C.A.Z. View Post
                    He needs to cut to 171 or he will struggle. IMO Munster would at least major him and he can't beat Dwyer or Hecox either.
                    I will take that bet....

Comment

Bottom Banner

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X