Illinois Matmen Forums

Illinois Matmen Forums (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/index.php)
-   College (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Braunagel Monsters Now to Dominate World! (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66801)

ChiefIllini1 06-07-2019 12:09 AM

Braunagel Monsters Now to Dominate World!

Ö or at least the Western Hemisphere.

There are ILLINI twins in Guatemala right now getting ready to win some metal in Junior Freestyle. The Braunagels should have probably wrestled in the Greco portion of the tournament as well, but we'll talk about that later. First, lets get to what they are actually doing.

Quote:

"GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala Ė The U.S. menís freestyle team received its draws for the final day of the 2019 Junior Pan American Championships in Guatemala City. Action begins at 12 p.m. CT and finals are set for 7 p.m. CT live on Trackwrestling.com."
These are the draws for the twins:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9a5cd39a_o.jpg

In the Greco portion of the event, which has already been completed, the Americans earned a fifth place and four silvers at weights the Braunagels might have been able to make (72, 77, 82, 87).

Trackwrestling will supposedly have video and live results.

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 06-07-2019 11:29 PM

The Braunagels have won twin Gold Medals and are the Kings of the Western Hemisphere! Big Braunagel beat a Cuban 11-2 in the finals; Little Braunagel teched his opponent in the finals.

Not all the American freestylers won gold. Great wrestlers like Jake Woodley and Real Woods settled for silver.

Congratulations to the Braunagels, their Coaches, and the United States of America. These men are now Pan Am Championship Champions!

GO ILLINI!!!

dadudaman4 06-08-2019 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 (Post 554998)
The Braunagels have won twin Gold Medals and are the Kings of the Western Hemisphere! Big Braunagel beat a Cuban 11-2 in the finals; Little Braunagel teched his opponent in the finals.

Not all the American freestylers won gold. Great wrestlers like Jake Woodley and Real Woods settled for silver.

Congratulations to the Braunagels, their Coaches, and the United States of America. These men are now Pan Am Championship Champions!

GO ILLINI!!!

Really looking forward to seeing them in the Illini lineup this coming year.

jay31 06-21-2019 10:17 PM

Also Illini commit Luke Odom from Edwardsville went 6-0 outscoring opponents 63-9 (8 of the 9 in one match) to help Illinois to 1st place at the Junior Greco Nationals at 145 pounds.

ChiefIllini1 06-22-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay31 (Post 555163)
Also Illini commit Luke Odom from Edwardsville went 6-0 outscoring opponents 63-9 (8 of the 9 in one match) to help Illinois to 1st place at the Junior Greco Nationals at 145 pounds.

Just saw that Luke Odom teched his opponent in the finals of the Junior Freestyle Duals. He's on a roll! The ILLINOIS team came up a pount short againt Oklahoma, 32-33. The Okies won eight matches; the good guys won seven.

He's going to be a senior in high school this year. Pretty cool!

GO ILLINI!!!

Skidoojunky 06-22-2019 09:39 PM

Zach and Danny are monsters and great all around young men. Glad to see them doing well. They have very bright futures.

jay31 06-23-2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 (Post 555164)
Just saw that Luke Odom teched his opponent in the finals of the Junior Freestyle Duals. He's on a roll! The ILLINOIS team came up a pount short againt Oklahoma, 32-33. The Okies won eight matches; the good guys won seven.

He's going to be a senior in high school this year. Pretty cool!

GO ILLINI!!!

I didnít get to watch it but that sounds like a great dual, looking at the results I see Dustin Plott future Okie State guy beat Abe Assad 4-2, guess you could say that one made the difference.

ChiefIllini1 06-23-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidoojunky (Post 555167)
Zach and Danny are monsters and great all around young men. Glad to see them doing well. They have very bright futures.

So do the ILLINI. The middle weights will be absolutely epic in a couple years with the Braunagel twins and D.J. Shannon, and with Luke Odom and E'lan Heard joining the team next year.

Heard won a big tournament right after high school season ended.

Then we have guys like Mologousis, Riojas, Smith and others getting better in the room now.

These might be the most interesting wrestle offs in many years.

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 06-23-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay31 (Post 555168)
I didnít get to watch it but that sounds like a great dual, looking at the results I see Dustin Plott future Okie State guy beat Abe Assad 4-2, guess you could say that one made the difference.

I hope these kids know that all former wrestlers from the state really appreciate these young guys representing ILLINOIS so well.

Congratulations and thanks to a great coaching staff as well.

GO ILLINOIS!!!

Truth is Out There 06-23-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Dustin Plott has a bright future, however, the officiating was the only difference in this match.

It's tough to beat an Oklahoma team in Oklahoma was what it looked like to me.

You could wrestle the exact same Assad/Plott match move for move and come out with Assad winning under different eyes.

I know it happens, but in another match, a move which was scored 4 red completely across from the table which overruled and talked the mat official into 4 blue was just another in a series of head-scratchers that we'll sometimes be treated to in international style scoring.

The announcers cackling and literally saying, "we all hope to see Illinois lose" was just some more endured special-ness.

If personal circumstances didn't prevent Oklahoma-bound Jake Stiles from being on the team, we would all be double-chest thumping...

ChiefIllini1 06-23-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truth is Out There (Post 555171)
Dustin Plott has a bright future, however, the officiating was the only difference in this match.

It's tough to beat an Oklahoma team in Oklahoma was what it looked like to me.

You could wrestle the exact same Assad/Plott match move for move and come out with Assad winning under different eyes.

I know it happens, but in another match, a move which was scored 4 red completely across from the table which overruled and talked the mat official into 4 blue was just another in a series of head-scratchers that we'll sometimes be treated to in international style scoring.

The announcers cackling and literally saying, "we all hope to see Illinois lose" was just some more endured special-ness.

If personal circumstances didn't prevent Oklahoma-bound Jake Stiles from being on the team, we would all be double-chest thumping...

The chest wrap in that match. Used to be that a chest wrap always scored. Starting with Yawny/Rutherford, I'm not so sure anymore. I thought I could (pretty) confidently score these matches, but I'm coming up with different scores. (And in Yawny/Rutherford, I wanted both of them to lose, so I was impartial).

The ILLINOIS kids still deserve to thump their chests.

GO ILLINOIS!!!

Truth is Out There 06-23-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 (Post 555172)
The chest wrap in that match. Used to be that a chest wrap always scored. Starting with Yawny/Rutherford, I'm not so sure anymore. I thought I could (pretty) confidently score these matches, but I'm coming up with different scores. (And in Yawny/Rutherford, I wanted both of them to lose, so I was impartial).

The ILLINOIS kids still deserve to thump their chests.

GO ILLINOIS!!!

You saw what I -- and every other person on hand who wasn't rooting against Illinois -- saw.

Boys did a great job. There's a reason why so many root against us. Mostly it's because they're not us.

jay31 06-23-2019 06:59 PM

Thanks for the context, you hate to see officiating make the difference, but those 2 guys will surely face each other in the future so might be different next time.

will-I-am 06-24-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Plott is a great wrestler and makes it to the finals of everything

lookleft goright 06-24-2019 10:04 AM

There weer more than a few calls that were questionable and the only consistent theme was they all went against Illinois. I guess that is something we should get used to.

Truth is Out There 06-24-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookleft goright (Post 555179)
There weer more than a few calls that were questionable and the only consistent theme was they all went against Illinois. I guess that is something we should get used to.

Furthermore, in at least 1 out of every 2 matches, the mat official and table officials would huddle for 3-5 minutes in the midst of the match to try and get a call straight. Simply unacceptable. Simplify the rules if it takes you that long to figure out scoring for any of them. We've done this so many times over just the course of when I've been paying attention (relative newcomer) but there's is more work to be done if we ever want this to be palatable to anyone except hardcore wrestleheads. At a minimum, it is unfair to participants and subject to bias.

By virtue of the "live mic" I was able to listen in one several of these conversations over the course of four days. The blatant manipulation was so evident. When you heard the same table person rooting for an Illinois opponent, it became much clearer.

I kid you not. There were several table personnel who were vocal in their interest in seeing Illinois opponents prevailing. Amazing.

The haughty snottiness with which some of these folks conduct themselves just leaves you scratching your head.

It's like someone said, "Gee this sport is hard" and the tableworkers responded "Hold my beer."

I've said it many times. I've met the best of people in this sport AND the worst of people in it as well.

ChiefIllini1 06-25-2019 12:55 AM

Luke Odom made the Greco National Duals All-Tournament team. Congratulations! All that hard work is paying off. There were a lot of ILLINOIS kids on that All Tournament team, including a fellow named Chad Bellis.

I think I wrestled with his father and uncle. Small world!

GO ILLINOIS!!!

ChiefIllini1 06-26-2019 12:39 AM

And Luke Odom made the Freestyle National Duals All Tournament Team! Wow! He finished undefeated in both styles. That's an extremely impressive performance for a junior in high school. As a verbal commitment, his allegiance to the ILLINI wasn't mentioned in the articles, but he's orange and blue.

GO ILLINI!!!

GrossNoises 06-26-2019 06:42 PM

Wrestling is one of the worst sports in regards to the tribal attitude towards their own. Everyone think their region, era of time, etc is the best. Look no further than the ChiefIllini clown. He truly knows too much about wrestling to be this delusional, but if it is not Illinois then it is not as good. This attitude is prevalent all throughout the sport. We truly have the dumbest fan base of all sports.

ChiefIllini1 06-27-2019 04:01 AM

D.J. Shannon Sighting!

Great to see that D.J. Shannon is in CHURBTOWN and having a blast! I get the feeling he will have a special career as an ILLINI. After spending a year in the Elite Accelerator Program (EAP), he could be nails and could fight for a starting spot as early as this season or take a redshirt year. Can't wait to see him in the O&B!

We should also join together to welcome vacuum to the lineup.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...96f2050c_o.jpg

For more of Coach Poeta's twitter feed, check it out. Don't be shy.

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 06-27-2019 04:31 AM

Since we're on the subject of twitter feeds, another one to check out belongs to IMAR. Here, in a few tweets, he embodies the Warrior-Poet spirit, using the word "existential" in a tweet and then using his head to block off Jordan Burroughs! Here's his twitter feed.

GO IRTC!!!

ol' man river 06-27-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrossNoises (Post 555193)
Wrestling is one of the worst sports in regards to the tribal attitude towards their own. Everyone think their region, era of time, etc is the best. Look no further than the ChiefIllini clown. He truly knows too much about wrestling to be this delusional, but if it is not Illinois then it is not as good. This attitude is prevalent all throughout the sport. We truly have the dumbest fan base of all sports.

truer words....truer words

ChiefIllini1 06-28-2019 04:37 AM

Speaking of IMAR, got this in the email machine the other day:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...32c7f614_o.jpg

I'll make another donation here because I can't afford to fly up from South Carolina. (Besides, I might have to hitchhike up to ILLINOIS any time now for an "Emergency Wedding" for my boy.)

The IRTC will be represented at the World Championships by Ellis Coleman and Max Nowry. On top of that, those guys and a few others you might know are probably wanting to get ready for an Olympic year.

GO IRTC!!!

ChiefIllini1 07-04-2019 01:01 AM

Since this has become a bit of a wandering ILLINI and IRTC news thread, thought it would be good to highlight interviews given by IRTC and World Team members Max Nowry and Isaiah Martinez that have been produced by themat.com. Nowry's interview is in written question-and-answer form. This was my favorite part:

Quote:

How did you get involved in wrestling?

My dad signed me up for hockey back in 1996 or 1997, but there wasn’t enough kids so they cancelled it and I got thrown into wrestling.

When did you start wrestling Greco-Roman?

My high school coach convinced me to do both styles because I think it was only $5 more to wrestle both and I was mostly wrestling freestyle at the time. Then I did the Cadet Duals my sophomore year, and that’s where I met Coach Medlin. Ever since then it’s been my favorite discipline.

Haha! That's so typical. I was cut from my high school freshman basketball team. The school had never cut anyone from the freshman team. They'd have "D" and "E" squads if necessary. But they cut me. I'm still the greatest basketball-playing wrestler in the world.

The rest of the Nowry interview is also interesting. This was another special comment from him: "I don’t want to win a World title, I need to."

IMAR Video

The IMAR interview is on video and can be found here on youtube. You get more of the warrior-poet from him: "I spent a month in Russia in January, and that was a transformative experience."

His major take-away from the series is that everything works for him when he's being aggressive, and nothing works when he wrestles on the back foot. I thought it was interesting that Burroughs said that IMAR was six minutes away from winning Final X, but IMAR said he was :10 seconds away. IMAR did have the lead in match one with ten or nine seconds to go. He won match two.

GO IRTC/ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 07-11-2019 01:00 AM

There's a write-up about the ILLINOIS contingent going to Fargo this year at themat.com. As a returning champion, Luke Luffman gets a special mention, and hot wrestler Luke Odom is also on the roster:

Quote:

Illinois has been the state to beat at Fargo over the past decade. Last year, Illinois won 16U Greco-Roman, Junior menís freestyle, and Junior Greco-Roman. They even set a new record in Junior Greco-Roman for most points scored. So, it should come as no surprise that their roster is once again loaded with top wrestlers. Led by returning Junior National champion and Illinois commit Luke Luffman and returning 16U National champions Adrian Crmaer, Hayden Copass, and Kennedy Blades, Illinois will have a total of 28 returning All-Americans across all styles and both age groups. Also competing for Illinois will be sixth ranked Fidel Mayora. Mayora didnít compete at Fargo last year, but was a 16U menís freestyle champion in 2017. In addition to No. 1 ranked Blades, Illinois will have 11 other women competing for stop signs.
In comparison, the New York roster gets a tiny paragraph, while the Michigan and North Carolina teams get one sentence each.

Did I miss any other ILLINI signees or verbals?

https://live.staticflickr.com/1971/4...14cdfe3d15.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1823/2...1b6d77b8_c.jpg

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 07-15-2019 11:07 PM

Luke Luffman is in the championship finals at Fargo! He's in the running for a second title. Domenic Zaccone made it to the semi-finals. Congratulations to both and all the young'uns from ILLINOIS!

https://live.staticflickr.com/1973/4...8eba51441d.jpg

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 07-16-2019 11:24 PM

In a massive non-upset, Luke Luffman is again your Fargo Champion. Coach Mike Poeta was quoted as saying, "Wow! I really didn't not see that one coming." This Fargo 2xer is gonna be terrorizing fatties for years to come. Here's some local love from his hometown TV station:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1350b431_b.jpg

ChiefIllini1 07-20-2019 12:23 AM

ILLINOIS runs away with the Junior Greco title at Fargo.

Luke Luffman is again a Champion. This guy is the bluest of blue chips. He's only 18. Do Byrd and he redshirt? What a great problem to have!

Luke Odom is a Fargo All-American, and he's got another year in high school.

GO ILLINI-IRTC-ILLINOIS!!!

dadudaman4 07-21-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 (Post 555401)
ILLINOIS runs away with the Junior Greco title at Fargo.

Luke Luffman is again a Champion. This guy is the bluest of blue chips. He's only 18. Do Byrd and he redshirt? What a great problem to have!

Luke Odom is a Fargo All-American, and he's got another year in high school.

GO ILLINI-IRTC-ILLINOIS!!!

The team needs Luffman and at least one Braunagel in the lineup desperately. The rest can be worked out later.

OldVV 07-21-2019 05:44 PM

HWT is loaded right now with young studs. A red-shirt (if not this year) somewhere down the line is recommended. This was his 1st year at HWT so putting on some good weight couldn't hurt.

pcc club coach 07-21-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldVV (Post 555421)
HWT is loaded right now with young studs. A red-shirt (if not this year) somewhere down the line is recommended. This was his 1st year at HWT so putting on some good weight couldn't hurt.

Hwt in the Big Ten is loaded. Paris, Cassioppi, Singletary or Kirkivet, Cassar , Stevenson just to name a few. Redshirting him would be the wise decision. Even though the best option at Illinois.

ChiefIllini1 07-22-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcc club coach (Post 555425)
Hwt in the Big Ten is loaded. Paris, Cassioppi, Singletary or Kirkivet, Cassar , Stevenson just to name a few. Redshirting him would be the wise decision. Even though the best option at Illinois.

In a perfect world, I always feel a fifth-year senior is more valuable than a true freshman. There are tons of factors involved, though, and it probably differs from individual to individual. It is a good problem to have when there are true freshmen who could help in the lineup.

I am thinking about the year the Braunagels are redshirt seniors, with Luffman and Lucas Byrd (potentially) as redshirt juniors, along with a lineup that includes Odom, Cardani, Sims, Lopez, Heard, Sizemore, D.J. Shannon, Zaccone, and others that I'm forgetting (sorry) ... and that may be the next Golden Age of ILLINI wrestling.

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 08-03-2019 08:48 AM

Congratulations to Luke Luffman, who was named as USA Wrestling's Athlete of the Week!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1350b431_b.jpg [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/23876049@N06/][/url

Blonjuan44 08-04-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 (Post 555428)
... and that may be the next Golden Age of ILLINI wrestling.

GO ILLINI!!!

What was the best year for Illini wrestling ever? And in the last 30 years?

What about in Football or Basketball?

What is the biggest sport they were Nat.Champs in?

ChiefIllini1 08-05-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blonjuan44 (Post 555571)
what was the best year for illini wrestling ever? And in the last 30 years?

off the top of my head, i'd say the years from john lockhart to mike poeta were golden times. There have be amazing individuals since then, jesse delgado and imar, just to name two, but the lineups during that last golden era were salty top to bottom.

what about in football or basketball?

john bardeen won two nobel prizes in physics and repped the orange and blue. That's better than everything the state of alabama has done since the civil war.

what is the biggest sport they were nat.champs in?

the university of illinois was mentioned in the tom cruise movie risky business.

go illini!!!

jay31 08-05-2019 08:20 AM

One could argue that in context the Risky Business line was one of the worst things that ever happened to the U of I.

ChiefIllini1 08-05-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay31 (Post 555576)
One could argue that in context the Risky Business line was one of the worst things that ever happened to the U of I.

Blonjuan44 08-06-2019 04:57 AM

What's gonna happen if Joey Silva and Real Woods meet at CKLV? (https://bit.ly/2Zn66hz)

What is the one line recap of this story? Who is who, I am not wrestling literate enough to know who is who.

ChiefIllini1 08-07-2019 01:16 AM

I have figured out why Ellis Coleman didn't wrestle at the Poland Open. He just received his draw for the Pan Am Games. He faces Joilson De Brito Ramos Junior from Brazil (gold at 2017 and 2018 Junior Pan Ams, bronze at 2019 Senior Pan Ams) in the first round.

I guess the Pan Am Games are only wrestling Olympic weights.

Also of interest: Michael Carr nemesis Jaydin Eierman faces a Cuban two-time world bronze medalist in the first round. Ouch! Also, Pat Downey wrestles a Jamaican in the first round. I am going to suggest that they drug test those athletes before, during and after that match. Then, later in the hotel room, man.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...39151f9a_c.jpg

GO IRTC!!!

ChiefIllini1 08-07-2019 10:24 PM

Ellis Coleman wins another medal! That virtual trophy cabinet for the IRTC is getting wicked loaded. He won his bronze match tonight to now become a Pan Am Games medalist. Coleman had already medaled in the Pan Am Championships.

He had a major hurdle on his side of the bracket: The Cuban who is a World Champion. That's the one that got away earlier in the day, but he came back for bronze. Time for Coleman and Nowry to peak for the World Championships.

GO IRTC!!!