Illinois Matmen Forums

Illinois Matmen Forums (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/index.php)
-   College (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ILLINI Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2019 (http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66896)

ChiefIllini1 07-26-2019 04:53 AM

ILLINI Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2019

This post is just discussing the first half of this next season. These are some of the things that I'm looking forward to during that time frame. Here goes:

REDSHIRTS. The coaches and athletes will be making some important decisions pretty soon about redshirts. These are probably the most important decisions of this kind that ILLINOIS has had to make in some time. Guys like Luke Luffman, Lucas Byrd and D.J. Shannon would almost certainly start this year unless they take a 'shirt.

THE NEW SCHEDULE. Will the ILLINI get to face Maryland this year? I hate those guys. "Mary" is actually a girl's name, right? Will the season start with a dual at Mizzou again? Outdoors? This is high up on my list of interests because last year was such a difficult schedule in the Big Ten. Also, can we expect the Huskies from Northern Illinois down to Huff Hall?

POETA'S ORANGE SHOES. Does Mike Poeta bring back the orange shoes? Why haven't they got a Facebook page and Twitter account yet?

WEIGHT CHANGES. Who's moving up? If I had to guess, and I'm stuck with only speculation right now, I'm going to suggest that Pio, Duncan and Carr move up one spot each and Cardani slots in at 125. I also think Brian Burns will be at heavyweight. (P.S. Insiders, drop me a line. Don't make me beg.).

IRTC MOVES/TOURNAMENTS. Last year was a big, big year for the ILLINOIS Regional Training Center. What do they have planned for the rest of 2019? Will the resident athletes head off to some more tournaments or Russia training? I am super-pumped about the direction of the IRTC. With this being such a great wrestling state, there is still room to grow.

WHO WINS THE SPOTS? This is big, big, big. We'll have some serious competition for 149, 174 and 184. If Michael Carr moves up, then there won't be much question about the starter, but I have no idea who comes out on top at 174 and 184. Does Wroblewski have a lock on 197? That's my guess.

SENIORS STARTING THE YEAR OFF RIGHT. I'm especially looking forward to big years from Joey "Guns" and Barone. I was told that Guns had to work through a serious injury last year. I can't wait to see him healed up as a senior. Barone made huge improvements last year, and I can't wait to see what is in store for next year. Pio hasn't taken a redshirt yet. Will he? Can Brian Burns even take a redshirt since he transferred? I think this is it for him.

What else should I be looking for?

GO ILLINI!!!

jay31 07-26-2019 06:39 AM

Good list. The Big 10 opponents are set but I am also interested in seeing the rest. I saw on a Rutgers news story that the wrestling schedule release may be delayed this year for all B1G schools due to increased coverage on the Big 10 Network. Illini seem to always be one of the last to release theirs. Other items, who will be the volunteer assistant coach, will there be another charity event at the Poeta Center in October, who will be the face of the Illini on the schedule poster.

ChiefIllini1 07-26-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay31 (Post 555482)
Good list. The Big 10 opponents are set but I am also interested in seeing the rest. I saw on a Rutgers news story that the wrestling schedule release may be delayed this year for all B1G schools due to increased coverage on the Big 10 Network. Illini seem to always be one of the last to release theirs. Other items, who will be the volunteer assistant coach, will there be another charity event at the Poeta Center in October, who will be the face of the Illini on the schedule poster.

Great additions! That charity event sounded like loads of fun. I want to add a couple of items that I forgot:

EARLY SEASON TOURNAMENTS. I love to see ILLINI starters crushing dudes in the early season tournaments (Kauffman, Maryville, etc.). There's usually a couple good wrestlers in each bracket so that the finals are interesting. It is also great to get an early indication on the new recruits, especially the redshirts.

The Midlands. I want the seniors to have their best possible Midlands, and I want Travis Duncarr to destroy their brackets. Also, with the tournament needing as many talented (and especially) exciting entries, I hope they let the ILLINI bring an entire "redshirt squad." Hope to see Luffman, Byrd, Sizemore, Shannon and the rest there.

GO ILLINI!!!

jay31 07-27-2019 05:34 PM

Also looking forward to Carr coming back at full health, i think he will be underestimated after last year’s postseason which will be to his advantage.

ChiefIllini1 07-28-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay31 (Post 555505)
Also looking forward to Carr coming back at full health, i think he will be underestimated after last year’s postseason which will be to his advantage.

Excellent. Last year was epic for the ILLINI when it came to injuries. If I remember correctly, only Deuce Rachal wrestled in all of his matches. Even the indestructible Pio missed at least one match. I'm also hoping for an injury-free season. What would Parker and Carr have accomplished without undergoing significant injuries? My favorite picture from last year (also note the orange shoes):

https://live.staticflickr.com/7920/4...be9deb4f_c.jpg

GO ILLINI!!!

ChiefIllini1 07-28-2019 11:35 PM

MAX NOWRY AND ELLIS COLEMAN. These guys will be representing the IRTC in the 2019 World Championships. How will they do? It would be great for the IRTC to have a world medalist. They will have their shot at it. I'm not a Greco expert, but these young men are beginning to hit peak "man strength."

GO ILLINI/IRTC!!!

ChiefIllini1 08-06-2019 01:22 AM

Max Nowry gets a bronze at the Poland Open, beating a Turk in the third-place match. The IRTC's virtual trophy case is filling up!

Looks like Ellis Coleman didn't wrestle in this tournament.

GO ILLINI/IRTC!!!

Blonjuan44 08-13-2019 03:28 PM

And then over at NIU...(question - has NIU wrestling ever been ranked higher than the Illini - I would have to guess yes.)

https://triblive.com/sports/division...c-next-season/

I assume this will be good.

ChiefIllini1 08-13-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 (Post 555695)
And then over at NIU...(question - has NIU wrestling ever been ranked higher than the Illini - I would have to guess yes.)

https://triblive.com/sports/division...c-next-season/

I assume this will be good.

I had heard about the merger of the two conferences, but I hadn't put two and two together with regard to the Huskies. I think this will be good for them. They'll get some really good competition out east from Lockhaven and especially Edinboro.

If I had to give power rankings, I would put the new conference like this: Missouri, Edinboro, Old Dominion, Central Michigan, Lockhaven, and then a two-way tie with NIU and Ohio. That's not a bad top half of a conference. (This is all with a little recency and geography bias thrown in).

Where would you put the bottom teams from the Big Ten in that conference? I think Indiana and Michigan State would be behind Old Dominion, but ahead of everybody else. I'm not suggesting that we get rid of Indiana and Michigan State, but maybe their invitations to the Big Ten Tournament get lost in the mail?

Has NIU ever been ahead of the ILLINI in the rankings? Hmmm. I would think not, but I don't know that for sure. A decade ago when the Huskies had a lot of steam, the ILLINI were pretty extra salty as well.

GO ILLINI!!!