Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 5 Days Ago
Olympian

Informative and awesomely funny Coach's Chat with Mike Poeta and special guest Travis Piotrowski. The Q&A included bananas, ILLINI legend Mark Jayne, Jeremy Hunter's Monster Truck, as well as the world's funniest wrestling coach, who also happens to take the longest time to get his hair "just right." You can watch it here on twitter.

Besides being Ladies' Night, it is also Free Admission. That means more Huff dogs for you!

GO ILLINI!!!

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 5 Days Ago at 02:16 AM.
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

Sorry Chief but your preview, while awesome, is fatally flawed. At 157 you refer to a one John Van Brill. As all dutchologists know it is van Brill. Shame on you.
Old 5 Days Ago
Olympian

Seems to me that the ILLINI/Gopher dual is about the highlight of Friday night. Check out the list below. Is Carr/McKee the best matchup of the day? Maybe Suriano/DeSanto or Mattin/Foley or Ashnault/Lugo. Here's the list:

Friday, January 18:

Penn at Binghamton, 7:00 PM
Cleveland State at Edinboro, 7:00 PM
Minnesota at Illinois, 7:00 PM (6:00 PM)
Nebraska at Maryland, 7:00 PM
Michigan at Michigan State, 7:00 PM
Kent State at Ohio, 7:00 PM
Indiana at Purdue, 7:00 PM
Virginia at VMI, 7:30 PM
Oklahoma State at West Virginia, 8:00 PM
Northwestern at Wisconsin, 8:00 PM (7:00 PM)
Rutgers at Iowa, 9:00 PM (8:00 PM)
Fresno State at Utah Valley, 9:00 PM (7:00 PM)
Air Force at Wyoming, 9:00 PM (7:00 PM)
Northern Colorado at Cal Poly, 10:00 PM (7:00 PM)

Should be some carry-over into the next day as well, as the best matchup on Saturday is probably Okie Lite and Pitt.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

I guarantee none of the other matchups are offering an etched wine glass to the first 250 ladies in attendance. Therefore 141 at Huff is the place to be!
Old 5 Days Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I guarantee none of the other matchups are offering an etched wine glass to the first 250 ladies in attendance. Therefore 141 at Huff is the place to be!
I got some great swag over the years. My favorite was the John Lockhart poster. I remember one time Pete Friedl looked right at me and then threw the free t-shirt to a little kid. #$@#$@#! But I never got anything etched. Especially not glass!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 4 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Good preview as always Chief. Here's how I see it going down:

125-Minn.
133-Minn.
141-Ill.
149-Minn.(bonus points)
157-Ill.
165-Ill.
174-Minn.
184-Ill.
197-Ill.
285-Minn. (bonus points)

I see a close dual (assuming our regulars are all wrestling) with Minn. pulling it out on bonus points.
Wow, that was fugly. I totally missed that prediction. I didn't get to see 133 or 141. I think we only had 3 wins (I don't count the forfeit at 125). Super disappointing. Kanzler is not very good and he is the best we have at 149. Barone got caught, but he was still not doing much on his feet at the time. I know now why Gunther transferred from Iowa. He did nothing tonite and got beat. Poor effort on his feet. Good for Parker and Lee. Deuce got stuck by a very good wrestler, which I expected. He looks small. It's going to be a long year in the Big 10 for the Illini. Bring on the redshirts!!!!!!
Old 4 Days Ago
Varsity

I was actually encouraged by a couple things but not sure what was going on with Gunther. Sucks we didnt get to see Pio at 125. Duncan not only reversed the backpack but if that match was just a little longer he wouldve won. Carr another nice win over highly ranked guy, to me he looked better than in Michigan. Barone loss was a fluke he was right in it until he got stuck. Carver James surprisingly still had a chance to win pretty late in the match even after it started with a bad knock to the head and then with about a minute left he slammed his head on the mat again. Tough dude. Parker was really working for those back points but so far he just isnt the bonus point monster you expect at #2, that being said his quickness is noticeably there. Andre Lee was all over the offense tonight. Deuce was up against the buzzsaw and hopefully is ok as it looked like he might have taken a hard head hit to the mat.

I noticed that most of the incoming guys were there tonight as well as the redshirts, they seemed very into the matches and that has to bode well for the future in terms of commitment to the team.
Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

I haven't seen the match yet, so thanks for all the SPOILERS, guys! I'm being sarcastic there, as spoiler-haters have to realize that the one thing the internet does well is to deliver information quickly. I'll be back with my appraisal after I get to see the match. Parker and Carr seem to be pretty good at wrestling?

Until then, I was told on a blank piece of paper, which had letters cut out from a newspaper and then pasted on, to leave this here or I wouldn't see my wife and children again:

Old 4 Days Ago
Olympian

Duncan found himself in a monster hole. Lizak (who seemed to be bigger for some reason) put Dylan way behind after the first period. Has Lizak got a new "suck back" move with his legs in? I haven't seen that one before, and that accounted for 4 of his early points. Duncan can scout that.

After the first period, Duncan proved that he can take this guy down and at least ride him for awhile. Dylan is also not so bad on bottom against Lizak (except for that suck back move). He managed a reversal on the lizard.

My only advice: Get a couple of takedowns in the first period. Work on defending that "suck back" move, and when time is of the essence, let go of the opponent as soon as possible when he's on the bottom and you want to give him an escape. Take a step back if necessary. Lizak wasted what seemed like 20 seconds by not presenting himself to wrestle even as Duncan had given him an escape.

Dylan can score that single leg on Lizak all day and every day.

In the Carr/McKee match, McKee started off scoring four points twice if they were wrestling freestyle. Age-level World Champion McKee had good defense in the first period, but in the third, Carr struck for the takedown. What is so impressive to see is Carr doing this when Coach Hef noted after his match with Storr that Michael was still battling an injury.

Also impressive: Even though Carr didn't get the second-period takedown, he was able to pull in the legs while laying with his chest on his knees. That's a lot of strength.

Carr will win the next meeting as well. He'll win it by even more if he feints the first time and then goes for a double leg. McKee will break his nose on the mat!

Haven't gotten to see the rest of the dual, but liked what I saw in the first two matches! Have to say that the analyst on the BTN broadcast was super-knowledgeable. Appreciated that!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 4 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Duncan found himself in a monster hole. Lizak (who seemed to be bigger for some reason) put Dylan way behind after the first period. Has Lizak got a new "suck back" move with his legs in? I haven't seen that one before, and that accounted for 4 of his early points. Duncan can scout that.

After the first period, Duncan proved that he can take this guy down and at least ride him for awhile. Dylan is also not so bad on bottom against Lizak (except for that suck back move). He managed a reversal on the lizard.

My only advice: Get a couple of takedowns in the first period. Work on defending that "suck back" move, and when time is of the essence, let go of the opponent as soon as possible when he's on the bottom and you want to give him an escape. Take a step back if necessary. Lizak wasted what seemed like 20 seconds by not presenting himself to wrestle even as Duncan had given him an escape.

Dylan can score that single leg on Lizak all day and every day.

In the Carr/McKee match, McKee started off scoring four points twice if they were wrestling freestyle. Age-level World Champion McKee had good defense in the first period, but in the third, Carr struck for the takedown. What is so impressive to see is Carr doing this when Coach Hef noted after his match with Storr that Michael was still battling an injury.

Also impressive: Even though Carr didn't get the second-period takedown, he was able to pull in the legs while laying with his chest on his knees. That's a lot of strength.

Carr will win the next meeting as well. He'll win it by even more if he feints the first time and then goes for a double leg. McKee will break his nose on the mat!

Haven't gotten to see the rest of the dual, but liked what I saw in the first two matches! Have to say that the analyst on the BTN broadcast was super-knowledgeable. Appreciated that!

GO ILLINI!!!
I LOVE Mike Carr! Such a tough kid who never disappoints. He's the closest thing to I-mar that we have on the team right now, Parker included. Always looking for the takedown no matter how good his opponent. He's the perfect example of why Pennsylvania wrestling is so good. We are missing that same kind of spirit throughout most of our lineup.
Sponsored Links