Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 04-19-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans215 View Post
You obviously did not have to pay the same amount of tuition in relation to cost of living, inflation, and average wage that my generation has if you feel that an annual donation is required in addition to the $120,000 already paid to my alma mater, plus interest.
Like many things, donations likely follow the Pareto principle - where 80% of the money comes from the top 20% of donors. So, if IL has richer people at the top it might not matter. But IL super rich head out of state as well, Pritzker went to Duke. It is new money that donates. I was just surprised, at IL being so low on the list compared to other Big 10 schools. If judging by giant tricked out Mobile homes at football games, Purdue has IL beat. I think IL has a larger main tailgate, but Purdue has a nice option of tailgating on the golf course when it is nice out. Only two Big 10 tailgates I have been to.
Old 04-19-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans215 View Post
You obviously did not have to pay the same amount of tuition in relation to cost of living, inflation, and average wage that my generation has if you feel that an annual donation is required in addition to the $120,000 already paid to my alma mater, plus interest.
Everything is relative. The tuition when I attended was not cheap when compared to everything else, at least that's how it seemed to me at the time. As for the tuition you paid, that was strictly a voluntary act on your part, as you could have gone to a "cheaper" school. You sound like your field of study has not been what you expected it to be. That's too bad; mine was everything I could have wanted. Also, I did not say an annual donation was required, just that it was a good thing to do.
Old 04-19-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

It is the programs with money that are thriving. Alumni/fan support are reasons PSU/tOSU/Iowa/etc are ahead of everyone else. And it doesn't take many, just the right ones. I think PSU has the largest wrestling specific endowment with the majority of that coming from one person. Dresser looks to be turning ISU around and a big part of that is money. Big time coaching hires and RTC studs require big bucks that athletic departments are not investing in wrestling. That money has to come from alumni/fans.
Old 04-19-2019
Olympian

Still looking for answers about the items mentioned in this earlier post:

WHO WILL REDSHIRT? We have some super studs coming in, and they might have what it takes to put on a show next year, but you never know. Maybe they want to put on some weight (Luffman, Byrd), or they want to practice freestyle with IMAR for a year before taking an Olympic redshirt (Shannon).

WHO WILL TAKE AN OLYMPIC REDSHIRT? That would go into the calculation regarding a redshirt. How long you want to stay in school. Do you want to make wrestling your life after college. Stuff like that. The coaches, parents and the wrestlers have all the information about the subject of redshirts, and we have very little, so I imagine these will be questions that we'll have for quite a long time.

NOTE: I saw Luffman signed up for the US Open in Junior Freestyle, so he is a definitive maybe. I need to keep checking back to see if Lucas Byrd registers, as well as DJ Shannon.

WHO REPLACES EMERY PARKER? According to everybody that talked about Parker, he was a team leader as well as a two-time AA. I figure that this answer might be twofold: Mike Carr might be the guy to take the team leadership position, while a Bruanagel or D.J. Shannon might take the lineup spot. I could also see a Senior like Barone or Piotrowski taking a bigger leadership role.

NOTE: Shannon wrestled 182 in high school but much lighter last year.

WHERE WILL THE ILLINI RECRUITING CLASS BE RANKED NOW? You've got a number one at his weight in Lucas Byrd, and you have D.J. Shannon who was number three at his weight by at least one service, even though he wrestled way up at 182 during his last year in high school, but has been down as low as 170 this past season. His #3 ranking was from two year's ago. Luffman has also been around that number three and four spot at his weight. That's on top of other ILLINOIS talent.

WHO WRESTLES 285? If Luffman goes next year, then he's got the spot. However, they might want him to redshirt. He might want to redshirt. Barring a transfer, my guess would be Brian Burns. But could we see the Xman back at this weight? Crazier things happened just a few minutes ago. I saw a black cat walk across a doorway, and then, only seconds later, the same black cat walked across the same doorway! What does that mean?

NOTE: According to sources, it won't be XMAN. Play video games in moderation, my friends.

WILL ILLINI LIGHTWEIGHTS MOVE UP IN WEIGHT? This should probably be much higher on the list, maybe in the number one spot. I could see Cardani taking the 125 spot next season, while Pio, Duncan and Carr move up a weight. Pio has added a ton of muscle (for a skinny guy) over his first three seasons, and it seems like both Duncan and Carr were pulling weight as well as dealing with injuries. Carr, especially, I think, had a growth spurt. Cardani has shown his mettle in open tournaments. He's now had a year to lift and put on weight. He could be ready.

NOTE: According to sources, Carr doesnt have too big a pull, Duncan does. Who goes at 133? We have a couple kids coming in who could wrestle-off for that spot. Does Duncan pull a Steve Rodriguez and bump up a couple of weights? Yes, this should be the first question!

WHO WRESTLES 174? If I recall correctly, Carver James went through the Senior Night ceremonies. That doesn't mean he isn't coming back. If anybody deserves a medical hardship it was him. He would also bring his experience gained last year. He was over-powered at the weight a few times and would have a year to put on additional muscle. Then, you have the possibility of D.J. Shannon swooping in and taking the spot. The question there is if he will take a redshirt year. Of course, there are other interesting options, including Mologousis, Riojas, or a Braunagel.

NOTE: Sources indicate Carver James has left his shoes on the mat.

WHO WRESTLES 149? I thought Kanzler showed a lot of improvement during the year, and he was the type of guy who would fight off bonus points against Micah Jordan by getting a takedown against him in the third frame. If the lightweights move up, this could be Carr. Or, you've got Dylan Thurston (although he might be too big now?), Demarius Smith, and Jake DiBenedetto (unless he's too big now as well) fighting for the spot.

NOTE: Could this be Duncan? That would blow my mind. Still think that Kanzler seems like a kid who can make a BIG LEAP. Not like I saw in Mike Carr's first match or in Emery Parker's first definitive win: He beat Rutger's Nick Gravina, and it was his coming out party. Not like that, maybe, but I do think Kanzler can improve because he has the tools. GO ILLINI!!!
Old 04-19-2019
Olympian

Regarding qualifying for an Olympic redshirt.
Let's first take a look at the criteria:

Must meet one of following:
1) Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2) Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open

3) Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).

4)Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist

Lauden
Old 04-19-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Still looking for answers about the items mentioned in this earlier post:

WHO WILL REDSHIRT? We have some super studs coming in, and they might have what it takes to put on a show next year, but you never know. Maybe they want to put on some weight (Luffman, Byrd), or they want to practice freestyle with IMAR for a year before taking an Olympic redshirt (Shannon).

WHO WILL TAKE AN OLYMPIC REDSHIRT? That would go into the calculation regarding a redshirt. How long you want to stay in school. Do you want to make wrestling your life after college. Stuff like that. The coaches, parents and the wrestlers have all the information about the subject of redshirts, and we have very little, so I imagine these will be questions that we'll have for quite a long time.

NOTE: I saw Luffman signed up for the US Open in Junior Freestyle, so he is a definitive maybe. I need to keep checking back to see if Lucas Byrd registers, as well as DJ Shannon.

WHO REPLACES EMERY PARKER? According to everybody that talked about Parker, he was a team leader as well as a two-time AA. I figure that this answer might be twofold: Mike Carr might be the guy to take the team leadership position, while a Bruanagel or D.J. Shannon might take the lineup spot. I could also see a Senior like Barone or Piotrowski taking a bigger leadership role.

NOTE: Shannon wrestled 182 in high school but much lighter last year.

WHERE WILL THE ILLINI RECRUITING CLASS BE RANKED NOW? You've got a number one at his weight in Lucas Byrd, and you have D.J. Shannon who was number three at his weight by at least one service, even though he wrestled way up at 182 during his last year in high school, but has been down as low as 170 this past season. His #3 ranking was from two year's ago. Luffman has also been around that number three and four spot at his weight. That's on top of other ILLINOIS talent.

WHO WRESTLES 285? If Luffman goes next year, then he's got the spot. However, they might want him to redshirt. He might want to redshirt. Barring a transfer, my guess would be Brian Burns. But could we see the Xman back at this weight? Crazier things happened just a few minutes ago. I saw a black cat walk across a doorway, and then, only seconds later, the same black cat walked across the same doorway! What does that mean?

NOTE: According to sources, it won't be XMAN. Play video games in moderation, my friends.

WILL ILLINI LIGHTWEIGHTS MOVE UP IN WEIGHT? This should probably be much higher on the list, maybe in the number one spot. I could see Cardani taking the 125 spot next season, while Pio, Duncan and Carr move up a weight. Pio has added a ton of muscle (for a skinny guy) over his first three seasons, and it seems like both Duncan and Carr were pulling weight as well as dealing with injuries. Carr, especially, I think, had a growth spurt. Cardani has shown his mettle in open tournaments. He's now had a year to lift and put on weight. He could be ready.

NOTE: According to sources, Carr doesnt have too big a pull, Duncan does. Who goes at 133? We have a couple kids coming in who could wrestle-off for that spot. Does Duncan pull a Steve Rodriguez and bump up a couple of weights? Yes, this should be the first question!

WHO WRESTLES 174? If I recall correctly, Carver James went through the Senior Night ceremonies. That doesn't mean he isn't coming back. If anybody deserves a medical hardship it was him. He would also bring his experience gained last year. He was over-powered at the weight a few times and would have a year to put on additional muscle. Then, you have the possibility of D.J. Shannon swooping in and taking the spot. The question there is if he will take a redshirt year. Of course, there are other interesting options, including Mologousis, Riojas, or a Braunagel.

NOTE: Sources indicate Carver James has left his shoes on the mat.

WHO WRESTLES 149? I thought Kanzler showed a lot of improvement during the year, and he was the type of guy who would fight off bonus points against Micah Jordan by getting a takedown against him in the third frame. If the lightweights move up, this could be Carr. Or, you've got Dylan Thurston (although he might be too big now?), Demarius Smith, and Jake DiBenedetto (unless he's too big now as well) fighting for the spot.

NOTE: Could this be Duncan? That would blow my mind. Still think that Kanzler seems like a kid who can make a BIG LEAP. Not like I saw in Mike Carr's first match or in Emery Parker's first definitive win: He beat Rutger's Nick Gravina, and it was his coming out party. Not like that, maybe, but I do think Kanzler can improve because he has the tools. GO ILLINI!!!
ChiefIllini, have your husband read this because apparently you have reading comprehension iasues. No one is answering your questions because they are clearly the ramblings of an old mad man.

NO ONE IS GOING TO OLYMPIC REDSHIRT, YOU FOOL.

If Luffman doesn't start expect to see a fat overmatched kid lose a lot.

Who cares who replaces Parker's "leadership role". These are wrestlers, if they are not individually motivated some underachieving 141 hollering at them will be ineffective.

If someone who is as clueless as you doesn't know who to expect at a certain weight with this weak roster then just assume it's gonna be Joe Nobody who fills that spot. We have a team of Devin Schupp's.

The recruiting class has 2 kids that are on national radars. The rest are in your feelings. The recruiting class is not that good. Nobody is jealous of it. Nobody is worried. Hopefully we can stay ahead of Michigan State and Indiana, but they made the adjustments in staff that Illinois should so don't be shocked if we're duking it out with Maryland for last.
Old 04-20-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrossNoises View Post
ChiefIllini, have your husband read this because apparently you have reading comprehension iasues. No one is answering your questions because they are clearly the ramblings of an old mad man.

NO ONE IS GOING TO OLYMPIC REDSHIRT, YOU FOOL.

If Luffman doesn't start expect to see a fat overmatched kid lose a lot.

Who cares who replaces Parker's "leadership role". These are wrestlers, if they are not individually motivated some underachieving 141 hollering at them will be ineffective.

If someone who is as clueless as you doesn't know who to expect at a certain weight with this weak roster then just assume it's gonna be Joe Nobody who fills that spot. We have a team of Devin Schupp's.

The recruiting class has 2 kids that are on national radars. The rest are in your feelings. The recruiting class is not that good. Nobody is jealous of it. Nobody is worried. Hopefully we can stay ahead of Michigan State and Indiana, but they made the adjustments in staff that Illinois should so don't be shocked if we're duking it out with Maryland for last.
You are a boring little troll. Just like ten million other boring little trolls in America.

Time for me to put you on ignore, boring, dumb little troll.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 04-20-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Everything is relative. The tuition when I attended was not cheap when compared to everything else, at least that's how it seemed to me at the time. As for the tuition you paid, that was strictly a voluntary act on your part, as you could have gone to a "cheaper" school. You sound like your field of study has not been what you expected it to be. That's too bad; mine was everything I could have wanted. Also, I did not say an annual donation was required, just that it was a good thing to do.
One thing that likely hurts Illinois in a big way is a potential wrestler getting into and being able to keep up with the curve in the Majors at U of I & Northwestern. We have the most populous state per Big 10 flagship school (others have more than 1 or less pop., PA has multiple top Schools). Most kids in sports there that say they are in business are really in Ag Business, which is also really tough to get into. Its a numbers game that the athletes lose. The other schools are not like that. Engineering - toughest to get into. Business - tied with 3 others for toughest to get into. Wrestling does not have delusions of the NFL, and Olympics is pipe dream for all but 1 every 4 years and doesn't pay unless you get gold & are willing to go get punched in the face in UFC. Majors matter to wrestlers.
Old 04-20-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
One thing that likely hurts Illinois in a big way is a potential wrestler getting into and being able to keep up with the curve in the Majors at U of I & Northwestern. We have the most populous state per Big 10 flagship school (others have more than 1 or less pop., PA has multiple top Schools). Most kids in sports there that say they are in business are really in Ag Business, which is also really tough to get into. Its a numbers game that the athletes lose. The other schools are not like that. Engineering - toughest to get into. Business - tied with 3 others for toughest to get into. Wrestling does not have delusions of the NFL, and Olympics is pipe dream for all but 1 every 4 years and doesn't pay unless you get gold & are willing to go get punched in the face in UFC. Majors matter to wrestlers.

I agree. Moreover, I can illustrate it with fact. Here goes:

1. The Admissions paperwork to get into ILLINOIS is 48 pages long when you add it all up. That number doesn't include the optional essay and character references.

2. The Admissions paperwork for Iowa is one question: Have you sexually assaulted someone in the last 90 days and uploaded it to Instagram?

3. The Admissions paperwork for PSU is also one question: Will you sexually assault someone in the next 90 days and upload it to Instagram?

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 04-20-2019
Stay off the head

While I know the last post is meant to be "funny" ignorance and jealousy at the highest form
Sponsored Links