Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-30-2019
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzagar View Post
It's hard to take someone down multiple times in college if you get ridden like a horse. Guys that can get out from underneath in college put themselves in positions to succeed. Illinois wrestlers have struggled in this area from my sight. I wonder if the freestyle mentality that is embraced throughout this state has something to do with it.

Illinois guys get out. Unless the top guy is double leg stalling with parallel ride. Then NOBODY is getting out. They need to get rid of double leg rides. I'd maybe be ok with a count, but something has to be done.
Old 04-16-2019
Olympian

The Most Interesting Questions About Next Year's Lineup:

1. Who will Redshirt? We have some super studs coming in, and they might have what it takes to put on a show next year, but you never know. Maybe they want to put on some weight (Luffman, Byrd), or they want to practice freestyle with IMAR for a year before taking an Olympic redshirt (Shannon).

2. Who will take an Olympic Redshirt? That would go into the calculation regarding a redshirt. How long you want to stay in school. Do you want to make wrestling your life after college. Stuff like that. The coaches, parents and the wrestlers have all the information about the subject of redshirts, and we have very little, so I imagine these will be questions that we'll have for quite a long time.

3. Who will replace Emery Parker? According to everybody that talked about Parker, he was a team leader as well as a two-time AA. I figure that this answer might be twofold: Mike Carr might be the guy to take the team leadership position, while a Bruanagel or D.J. Shannon might take the lineup spot. I could also see a Senior like Barone or Piotrowski taking a bigger leadership role.

4. What will the ILLINI recruiting class be ranked now? You've got a number one at his weight in Lucas Byrd, and you have D.J. Shannon who was number three at his weight by at least one service, even though he wrestled way up at 182 during his last year in high school, but has been down as low as 170 this past season. His #3 ranking was from two year's ago. Luffman has also been around that number three and four spot at his weight. That's on top of other ILLINOIS talent.

5. Who will wrestle heavyweight? If Luffman goes next year, then he's got the spot. However, they might want him to redshirt. He might want to redshirt. Barring a transfer, my guess would be Brian Burns. But could we see the Xman back at this weight? Crazier things happened just a few minutes ago. I saw a black cat walk across a doorway, and then, only seconds later, the same black cat walked across the same doorway! What does that mean?

6. Will the ILLINI lightweights move up in weight? This should probably be much higher on the list, maybe in the number one spot. I could see Cardani taking the 125 spot next season, while Pio, Duncan and Carr move up a weight. Pio has added a ton of muscle (for a skinny guy) over his first three seasons, and it seems like both Duncan and Carr were pulling weight as well as dealing with injuries. Carr, especially, I think, had a growth spurt. Cardani has shown his mettle in open tournaments. He's now had a year to lift and put on weight. He could be ready.

7. Who wrestles at 174? If I recall correctly, Carver James went through the Senior Night ceremonies. That doesn't mean he isn't coming back. If anybody deserves a medical hardship it was him. He would also bring his experience gained last year. He was over-powered at the weight a few times and would have a year to put on additional muscle. Then, you have the possibility of D.J. Shannon swooping in and taking the spot. The question there is if he will take a redshirt year. Of course, there are other interesting options, including Mologousis, Riojas, or a Braunagel.

8. Who wrestles at 149? I thought Kanzler showed a lot of improvement during the year, and he was the type of guy who would fight off bonus points against Micah Jordan by getting a takedown against him in the third frame. If the lightweights move up, this could be Carr. Or, you've got Dylan Thurston (although he might be too big now?), Demarius Smith, and Jake DiBenedetto (unless he's too big now as well) fighting for the spot.

What else am I missing?

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 04-17-2019
Varsity

Prepare to see a young line-up that takes a lot of losses. I hope they redshirt Byrd and Luffman, but reality is those two will provide the best shot to not get absolutely humiliated in Big 10 duals.

The 125, 133 and 141 situations will be good. Cardani and Pio will provide quality starts and both look to be solid locks for winning 1 or 2 matches at NCAAs. Pio could go 133 and have success, but that could look rather ugly with the depth of 133 being similar to what it was last year. Byrd is a Round of 12 guy right now. Starting early on for 125s is never a bad idea because there seems to be some type of longevity issue for the little guys in the injury department.

Nobody will take or even qualify for an Olympic redshirt, what planet do you live on to think that's realistic?

Riojas and Braunagel will provide quality starts, but they are about a year away from being a big time factor at the NCAA, but they won't get lit up like the black hole at 149 will. Hoping Poeta can work his magic with the kids at those weights. I expect to see a revolving door of sacrificial lambs at several of the weight classes if they opt to redshirt the kids that have 1 to burn.

Duncan and Carr are great prospects and dark horses to all- American, but after the post- season run that Carr had I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

Have the lube ready, ChiefIllini, you are gonna get smoked all year and people will be begging for someone to replace you as head coach. Then Illinois will be ready to roll with 4 to 5 all- American prospects in the 2020-21 season, unless you are still coaching them.

Also, this recruiting class is probably top 15 at best and that is only because of the star power of Byrd and Luffman.
Old 04-17-2019
Varsity

Olympic redshirt? You know you have to qualify for those right Chief? I want what you are smoking
Old 04-17-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

1. Who will Redshirt? We have some super studs coming in, and they might have what it takes to put on a show next year, but you never know. Maybe they want to put on some weight (Luffman, Byrd), or they want to practice freestyle with IMAR for a year before taking an Olympic redshirt (Shannon).

2. Who will take an Olympic Redshirt? That would go into the calculation regarding a redshirt. How long you want to stay in school. Do you want to make wrestling your life after college. Stuff like that. The coaches, parents and the wrestlers have all the information about the subject of redshirts, and we have very little, so I imagine these will be questions that we'll have for quite a long time.

3. Who will replace Emery Parker? According to everybody that talked about Parker, he was a team leader as well as a two-time AA. I figure that this answer might be twofold: Mike Carr might be the guy to take the team leadership position, while a Bruanagel or D.J. Shannon might take the lineup spot. I could also see a Senior like Barone or Piotrowski taking a bigger leadership role.

4. What will the ILLINI recruiting class be ranked now? You've got a number one at his weight in Lucas Byrd, and you have D.J. Shannon who was number three at his weight by at least one service, even though he wrestled way up at 182 during his last year in high school, but has been down as low as 170 this past season. His #3 ranking was from two year's ago. Luffman has also been around that number three and four spot at his weight. That's on top of other ILLINOIS talent.

5. Who will wrestle heavyweight? If Luffman goes next year, then he's got the spot. However, they might want him to redshirt. He might want to redshirt. Barring a transfer, my guess would be Brian Burns. But could we see the Xman back at this weight? Crazier things happened just a few minutes ago. I saw a black cat walk across a doorway, and then, only seconds later, the same black cat walked across the same doorway! What does that mean?

6. Will the ILLINI lightweights move up in weight? This should probably be much higher on the list, maybe in the number one spot. I could see Cardani taking the 125 spot next season, while Pio, Duncan and Carr move up a weight. Pio has added a ton of muscle (for a skinny guy) over his first three seasons, and it seems like both Duncan and Carr were pulling weight as well as dealing with injuries. Carr, especially, I think, had a growth spurt. Cardani has shown his mettle in open tournaments. He's now had a year to lift and put on weight. He could be ready.

7. Who wrestles at 174? If I recall correctly, Carver James went through the Senior Night ceremonies. That doesn't mean he isn't coming back. If anybody deserves a medical hardship it was him. He would also bring his experience gained last year. He was over-powered at the weight a few times and would have a year to put on additional muscle. Then, you have the possibility of D.J. Shannon swooping in and taking the spot. The question there is if he will take a redshirt year. Of course, there are other interesting options, including Mologousis, Riojas, or a Braunagel.

8. Who wrestles at 149? I thought Kanzler showed a lot of improvement during the year, and he was the type of guy who would fight off bonus points against Micah Jordan by getting a takedown against him in the third frame. If the lightweights move up, this could be Carr. Or, you've got Dylan Thurston (although he might be too big now?), Demarius Smith, and Jake DiBenedetto (unless he's too big now as well) fighting for the spot.

What else am I missing?

GO ILLINI!!!
Good analysis overall, Chief. Given the gaping hole at 285, I don't believe Heffernan will have the luxury of redshirting Luffman. Besides 285, someone will have to step up big at 149, 174,184 and 197 for the Illini to be competitive in the Big 10 this coming year. It seems as though at least one or perhaps both of the Braunagel brothers will step into the starting lineup somewhere. In any event, whoever will contend at those positions will be either unproven or untested, so we will just have to wait and see how things fall out. One thing for sure, hopefully we will avoid the injuries like we suffered last year. We do not have the quality depth to overcome them.
Old 04-17-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

GO ILLINI!!!
Just once, I wish you would speak realistically rather than ridiculously optimistically and call things like they really are. 149 is a HUGE whole that can only be adequately filled by moving Carr up. And that is only a good idea if he is physically ready for such a move. If you read back to my posts from before last year, I advocated such a move based on Carr's frame. I felt and somewhat continue to feel that he has a the frame that you can easily add 8 lbs of muscle to without negatively impacting what has made him successful.

It's painful to think about feeling good about Kanzler filling the spot with the basis of those good feelings being that he didn't get beat quite as badly as the season progressed. How is that a reasonable measuring stick for a Big 10 program? I really wish Kanzler was better suited for a spot in the lineup because I was always a Kanzler fan when he was in HS. But hoping that he is all of the sudden going to become a solid D1 wrestler is just flat out unrealistic. I think he could be a little better at 141, but to be optimistic about the Illini's chances to get any contribution out of a weight class that he occupies is more than a little inflated. I wish that weren't the case.

IMO opinion, they should redshirt anybody they can next year. Redshirt Piotrowski, Byrd, Luffman, Odom, Zaccone and Shannon. Take your lumps. Put Cardani at 125, Duncan at 133, let Carr go where ever he is best suited (141 or 149) based on how he approaches the offseason, you chalk up the other of the 2 weight classes to being a throw away who ever you put there, put Barone at 157, you put Braunagel at the weight he will be best at which is 165 and you push Gunther up to 174 (he was not good at 165 last year and did fine as IA's 174 the year before, Braunagel at 184, Wroblewski at 197 and you put a warm body at 285 because you're not going to get much out of that weight class either. Xman doesn't want to wrestle....I think we have seen that.
The following year would then look better. You have Lopez, Pucino and Heard coming in that year. They desperately need to add another upper weight wrestler. If they can do that, I think they can move some pieces around to have a pretty solid lineup in a 2-3 years.
Old 04-17-2019
Olympian

Some small things I heard.
Piotrowski does not need to nor does he want to move up.
Duncan needs to move up. Too big for 133.
They are working on making Carr a legit 149 size wise.
Old 04-17-2019
Olympian

Byrd maybe Grey shirting then RS so a few years away?
Luffman is RS, another rumor ?
Sounds like IL is holding back their best line up ? For another year according to this thread, I’m not in the room to see
Who knows maybe someone transfers in ?
Do any of guys on the roster qualify for Olympic redshirts?
Old 04-17-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
Some small things I heard.
Piotrowski does not need to nor does he want to move up.
Duncan needs to move up. Too big for 133.
They are working on making Carr a legit 149 size wise.
Helpful and interesting! Thanks!

Pio is pretty tall for that weight, and if you compare pictures of him as a freshman and last year, you can see the additional muscle he's put on. But I have no first-hand knowledge.

Duncan deserves an injury-free year at the right weight. We all want to see what he could do in those circumstances, but...

Not at the expense of Carr. Also want him to have an injury-free year at his best weight.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 04-17-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzagar View Post
Olympic redshirt? You know you have to qualify for those right Chief? I want what you are smoking
Two of the ILLINI recruits have aleady qualified for World Teams before. Do you know what they're doing this summer? Well, fill us in! They could win medals at the Junior level or finish top eight at the WTT. Given the large number of consolation defaults at the WTT, a motivated kid could sneak in there.

I don't know their plans.

The third guy spent an entire year training freestyle and won a Gold Medal at an International tournament for Juniors. Do you know what he's doing this summer?

ILLINI coaches have to keep all this in mind while they juggle the lineup. You don't have to because you're a lazy troll.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links