Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 02-11-2008
Varsity

Parents and Wrestling

Being a former Wrestler from Andrew High School and Monmouth College and competing in both State and National Tournaments I know the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I am now a proud parent of just a 3 year old boy but took him to his 1st wrestling match Saturday in Normal for the sectional semi-finals. I was in normal for family party and snuck for a few hours and glad I did.

Sitting in the stands with my little boy for the 1st time I finally felt what my parents felt for years as I competed. With no reason to cheer for anyone in particular I found myself caught in the moment and cheering with parents and encouraging as I known them for years. Standing up and clapping and watching proud parents as their sons earned their berths for state I sat with my little boy and watch tears of joy flow from parents eyes and hug each other and realized that this was a special moment that my parents shared and I hope to share one day myself.

All the years of sacrifices made on the mat, long hours of traveling, cutting weight were just some of the sacrifices a wrestler endures and as your hard work is about to pay off when you get the privilege of competing this weekend at state among the best of the best please realize for just a moment the sacrifices your parents have made as well. It has been years since I stepped on the mat but sitting in the stands with my son made me realize all the sacrifices parents make for the children when it comes to wrestling. Sitting for hours on end on uncomfortable bleachers, wrestling each match from the stands, canceling summer vacations to sit in hot gyms and the constant support and encouragement thru the ups and downs is just a small sample of what parents endure all too give their children a better chance of succeeding.

I can only hope I get the same chance to experience what you parents experienced this past weekend and upcoming weekend and make the same sacrifices my parents and you have made along the way for that one second when they raise your sonís hand.

Good Luck to all the wrestlers and parents this weekend and I hope to be in your shoes someday.

www.gametimedecisions.net
Old 02-11-2008
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepthreat View Post
Being a former Wrestler from Andrew High School and Monmouth College and competing in both State and National Tournaments I know the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I am now a proud parent of just a 3 year old boy but took him to his 1st wrestling match Saturday in Normal for the sectional semi-finals. I was in normal for family party and snuck for a few hours and glad I did.

Sitting in the stands with my little boy for the 1st time I finally felt what my parents felt for years as I competed. With no reason to cheer for anyone in particular I found myself caught in the moment and cheering with parents and encouraging as I known them for years. Standing up and clapping and watching proud parents as their sons earned their berths for state I sat with my little boy and watch tears of joy flow from parents eyes and hug each other and realized that this was a special moment that my parents shared and I hope to share one day myself.

All the years of sacrifices made on the mat, long hours of traveling, cutting weight were just some of the sacrifices a wrestler endures and as your hard work is about to pay off when you get the privilege of competing this weekend at state among the best of the best please realize for just a moment the sacrifices your parents have made as well. It has been years since I stepped on the mat but sitting in the stands with my son made me realize all the sacrifices parents make for the children when it comes to wrestling. Sitting for hours on end on uncomfortable bleachers, wrestling each match from the stands, canceling summer vacations to sit in hot gyms and the constant support and encouragement thru the ups and downs is just a small sample of what parents endure all too give their children a better chance of succeeding.

I can only hope I get the same chance to experience what you parents experienced this past weekend and upcoming weekend and make the same sacrifices my parents and you have made along the way for that one second when they raise your sonís hand.

Good Luck to all the wrestlers and parents this weekend and I hope to be in your shoes someday.

Thank you. I vote this as one of the TOP posts of the year. Very well done. And as a parent who has sat at these tournaments, thank you for capturing what we feel.
Old 02-11-2008
Wrestling Media

Quote:

Instant Nomination...POST OF THE YEAR...

What a great post...this says it all...from a parent's perspective...at our house we feel very lucky to have watched our son make FOUR trips to the big dance...too often it is taken for granted how hard it is for some to qualify for state...and yes those bleachers are very hard...

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 02-11-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2008

Wonderfully put, I hope your little guy injoyed it as much as you did!
Old 02-11-2008
Varsity

Quote:

Very well said. I too got to experience that this past weekend. With a son now in college, it is a pure joy to go watch the matches and simply enjoy the competition.
Seeing the tears and intensity in the parents eyes brought back a lot of great memories from just a couple years back. These kids have worked so hard for so many years and to see it payoff for a trip to the big dance...nothing better.
To those that didn't make it, your chance may come again so work hard! If not, you will never forget your wrestling experiences and will always be part of a very unique fraternity.
Good luck.
Old 02-11-2008
Varsity

very nice post
Old 02-11-2008
Olympian

I know what you mean

Quote:

I also think it is cool when an entire town shuts down to pin (pun intended) their hopes on one or two kids in their quest to bring home the gold. Blanton last year comes to mind. Even when they're kid falls short they never lack in enthusiasm
Old 02-11-2008
Above All

This was an excellent post.
Thank You
Old 02-11-2008
Super Moderator

Terrific post. Looking back on the years with my sons, the best advice I can give any parent just starting out is that it is a journey and enjoy the journey. We get caught up in the moments sometimes and lose the big picture in the emotion. It happens to all of us and will probably happen to you along the way. Just keep the big picture in focus. There will be moments of intense pride and moments of intense loss, and it is all worth it. Good luck to you and your son on your wrestling journey together!
Old 02-11-2008
Banned

Nice post, Brian, you captured my feeings as well. My son is seven, and he is getting into it now.

You were very encouraging when I wrestled with you at Monmouth, and it sounds like you haven't changed a bit.
Sponsored Links