Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 10-21-2005
Varsity

The Burk Blog 10/21

Another week of practice is almost done, with an afternoon practice still to go. This week was not as rough as the previous 2 weeks because I believe that I am getting used to having 2 practices per day. The afternoon practices have picked up as we are wrestling on our feet as well as on the mat. Our conditioning should begin to improve with the change in pace. That is one thing that I like about Coach Grant, he has a belief that conditioning wins matches, which I also believe to be true.

My weight is still not where I want it to be. I was up to weighing a little over 190, but I am down to around 185 right now. I lost weight just through working out and not putting the amount of calories that I needed back into my body. I do not mind it as much as I would because my lifts are still getting higher, so I just think I am getting into better shape.

As Danny said, our wrestle-offs are in a week and a half now and they should be interesting. We have mini tournaments that includes each guy in the weight class and then the finals will occur on Wednesday the 2nd between the 2 guys that survive the mini tourneys. I am hoping to be able to get to the finals of those and just wrestle well. Then we will move onto the Wisconsin-Stevens Point Pointer Open and then we travel to Omaha, Nebraska for the Open there. We should see great competition there, with Iowa State, Iowa, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, and from i have heard, possibly Virginia Tech and Hofstra. Many believe it to be tougher than the Midlands these days.

School is going well so far. I have learned to balance my classes with the practices. Days can get to be busy, but it is just something that each of us has to deal with. Balancing school and wrestling is just something that each of us has agreed to do with the commitment that we have made to the team and coaches. If a class does conflict with practice, individual practices are set up for that particular wrestler with one of the coaches. I have to have an individual each week on Thursday, as I have a class at 3:30.

Well, I am going to go right now. The season is beginning the pick up and excitement to wrestle in meets again is building up. Again, good luck to all wrestlers this year...enjoy it and have fun. PEACE---WOW

*P.S.---Mike Grimes wants me to talk about him so...yeh I just did. Cya

Last edited by admin; 10-21-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2005

Exclamation who cares??

whats the point of this blog? i find it hard to believe that anyone cares what you do everyday because there are hundreds of people just like you doing it. plus you just repeat the same things every time like you did something different and amazing.
Old 10-22-2005
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestle125
whats the point of this blog? i find it hard to believe that anyone cares what you do everyday because there are hundreds of people just like you doing it. plus you just repeat the same things every time like you did something different and amazing.
Most people don't know what it's like to be a college wrestler, especially at the NCAA Division I level. The purpose of this blog is to give you (our visitors) an inside look at collegiate wrestling through the eyes of the wrestlers, not the media, coaches, fans, or parents. The numerous emails and private messages from people stating that they enjoy reading the blog and look forward to following the Burks throughout the season prove to me that people care. If you don't like the blog, don't read it. It's that simple.
Old 10-24-2005
FREIGHT TRAIN

I would like to state that I enjoy the blog and second Mr. Bare's comments about "if you don't like it don't read it." I never had the opportunity to compete in college at any level, so I am interested in the day to day work that is put in. As I have posted before, I will continue to follow you guys. Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2005
~Wrestling Pride~

Exclamation Re:wrestle125

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestle125
Wow Wrestle125...talk about RUDE...I find it hard to believe that someone would write "who cares" I too have really enjoyed reading about the day in a life of a college wrestler!!!!! They have very busy schedules and still take the time to write in this blog...I can't wait till the season starts to see what they write It's people like you with the "who cares" attitude...I feel sorry for peeps like you!
GOOOOOOOOOO NIU !!!!!! WRESTLING !!!!!
!YOU ARE AMAZING!
Sponsored Links