Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 11-13-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 11/13

As Duke said, our team did a really nice job yesterday. It was the type of tournament in which we should dominate, and we did. I thought most of the guys did a really nice job competing. I am sure some of them wish they would have done better, but that is always going to be the case. It was a great start to the year, though. Hopefully we can carry some of that momentum with us into Omaha next weekend.

As for myself, I didnt wrestle as well as I could have, but I still won. So I guess it is kind of bittersweet. I just didn't get out and wrestle my match. I felt I left a lot on the mat each time I wrestled, and I hate that feeling. A win is a win, I suppose, but I feel that when you wrestle someone you are 6-8 points better than, you should beat them by at least 6-8 points. And I didn't do that this weekend. I won three 1 point matches. So, it was very disappointing. I am just not getting into a flow on the mat yet, outside of the practice room. So, I have a lot to work on before next weekend. I think defensively, I am still there. The only points I have given up so far are escapes. But I am just not scoring enough. Eventually yesterday, I was getting in solid shots, just not finishing them. So, that is something I will definately key on this week. I need to get in, and move until I come out on top. Yesterday I was not moving enough, in any positions.

Duke wrestled really well for his first tournament. He went out against guys he was better than, and dominated them, just as you should. He wrestled with a lot more confidence once things started to get rolling for him, and was able to compete very well. Hopefully this gives him the confidence he needs to be able to compete with the best in the country.

Again, overall it was a good day. I was able to get in 4 matches, and learn from each one of them. There are a lot of things I need to work on, and I am confident that with the help of our coaches, I will improve on those things in the next few days, and be ready to go next weekend. I'm excited to get to compete against some real tough guys. It should be a fun day, for sure.

Thank you again for reading. Hopefully a lot of you are planning on coming out to the Showcase meet on December 1st. I will get to wrestle #2 Jake Herbert, from Northwestern. It is always fun to get to compete against the best. Hope to see you all there!!

-Danny-

PS - Shout out this week to JACK DIPPOLD, my boy. Jack is the only college football player to be the starting kicker, and backup center.....what a combination!!! Also.....just want to say nice job to John Dergo.....over 350 yards against JCA??

Last edited by admin; 11-13-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links