Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 12-07-2009
Olympian

Iowa vs Iowa St

Last night's dual between the top 2 teams in the country lived up to all of the hype. The Cyclones came up short, losing 4 out of the first 5 matches and dropping the dual 18-16 to the Hawkeyes. While ISU closed the gap and continues to be right on the tail of Iowa, they also have yet to get over the hump of beating the 2 time defending National Champions. I believe they have the ability to do it, but until it happens, Iowa is the favorite.

Overall, the atmosphere was pretty good. It was a heavy pro-Cyclone arena, and it was loud. There were not as many people as last yr (ONLY about 11,500) this year, but still a solid crowd on a Sunday night to watch two great teams battle it out.

Here is a weight by weight breakdown of the dual.

125 - Long (ISU) vs McDonough (IA)
Redshirt Fr against Redshirt Fr, both Iowa boys, and I'm almost positive they wrestled a few times in high school. McDonough is one of those kids that is never going to take a real solid shot, but he is going to shoot a lot of hope to get you out of position. Really, this was the difference in the match. He was getting underneath Long, and kept moving and moving until he scored. When Long was the aggressor, he scored, but McDonough made it very difficult for him to get much offense going. Really, this could have ended in a major had Long not fought hard the last 20 seconds. I thought this was going to be a MUCH closer match, but again - McDonough hustled in every position and earned the win.

133 - Fanthorpe (ISU) vs Dennis (IA)
Two Illinois boys battling it out. Dennis scored the first takedown and looked great early on. Fanthorpe hit him with a "cisco" for 4 points in the first period, and Dennis had to battle back from that the entire match. Dennis started to slow down a lot in the third period, and it seemed as if Fanthorpe was going to pull out the win, because he looked as if he was in better shape (even though this was his first match of the season). The match went into OT, and a scramble on the edge of the mat resulted in a questionable takedown at the buzzer for Dennis, for the win. Again, Dennis looked on fire for about 4 minutes of this match but wore down. Fanthorpe looked good for it being his first match of the year, and he was in position to win. These two could have many more battles during this season.

141 - Gallick (ISU) vs Leclere (IA)
Gallick came out strong and started to build a lead & riding time throughout the first two periods. I really thought he had an opportunity to get bonus points out of this match the way it began, with a 5-1 lead plus riding time at one point. But, as Gallick wore down, Leclere stayed offensive and continued to attack, and took the match into OT. In OT, Leclere had a front head lock and looked to have a major edge in spinning behind for the win, but as he did so, Gallick high step off his back and put Leclere to his back to secure the win. The takedown was given QUICKLY and might have been questionable, but it was "2" eventually anyway. ISU needed this one bad to stay in, and although it wasn't pretty, Gallick found a way to win.

149 - Mueller (ISU) vs Metcalf (IA)
Obviously Mueller came into this match the big time underdog, but he came out aggressive and scored the first takedown. From there, Metcalf rattled off 9 straight points to take a commanding lead into the third period, but it did not look as if Mueller was going to give up the tech or pin. Holding this to a major would have been huge. BUT, as Metcalf tried to let him up, Mueller stayed on the mat and played possum, refusing to come to his feet. After about 10 seconds of this happening, Metcalf bull-rushed him and put him on his back for the fall. This really hurt the Cyclones, as giving up just a major would have, in hindsight, resulted in a tie for the dual.

157 - Sorenson (ISU) vs Janssen (IA)
Sorenson earned the position for ISU, and Janssen earned the position for Iowa in the only match that had 2 non-ranked guys facing off. Both guys were fairly active and there was some decent action. Sorenson came on strong towards the end to put himself back in the match, but gave up a late takedown to lose 8-6 I believe. This was another one the Cyclones really needed to get, and they went into the break down 15-3 and on their heels quite a bit.

165 - Reader (ISU) vs Morningstar (IA)
These guys always have epic battles, and this one was no different. Except, this time, Reader took the lead and never looked back, and Morningstar never really was able to get his offense going. For ISU to contend with Iowa in the future this season, Reader is going to have to continue to beat Morningstar and/or place ahead of him. I think now that he has proven to himself he can do it, he will continue to do it. At least, that is the hope.

174 - Burk (ISU) vs Borschel (IA)
Borschel is a tough kid to wrestle. He doesn't take a lot of quality shots, but he does shoot a lot, kind of like McDonough. And, he gets himself out of position a lot, but has such good hips, he really is not "out of position." Borschel was the aggressor early on, but Duke stayed in it and started to get to his attacks as well. Both guys were in great position to score probably 4-5 times throughout the match. The difference - Borschel scored 3 times from those positions, and Duke only scored once. In a match at this level, that is going to be the difference.

184 - Ward (ISU) vs Keddy (IA)
I have been saying since last year that if Jerome ever decided to open up a little bit, he would be a tough kid to beat. And, even though he didn't up a lot last night, he was able to get an early takedown to take Keddy out of his game plan, and then added another one last to get the upset and really put the Clones back into the match. Ward needed a big win like this to get his confidence back, and hopefully this gives him the motivation he needs to get rolling.

197 - Varner (ISU) vs Beatty (IA)
Varner is a stud. He dominated Beatty, who is ranked in the top 10 in the country. He looked for the pin throughout the match, but was unable to get Beatty to his back. Varner was lucky that Beatty took a terrible shot at the buzzer, otherwise he probably would not have gotten the major. Regardless, Varner is in a class of his own at 197 this year.

285 - Zabriskie (ISU) vs Raising (IA)
Needing a pin to win the dual, ISU basically was out of it going into this last match. Zabriskie is about 230lbs, and Raising has to cut to make 285. Therefore, this was a tall task for the Cyclones HWT. Both guys were fairly passive and didn't really do too much, and both kind of just hand-fought for the most part. Zabriskie finally got to his legs in OT and scored a takedown to take the win.

The dual ended 18-16, and really could have been a lot different for both teams. I don't think either team is really happy with their performance from last night, and I think they all have plenty to build on for the future. The next time these guys will face off is at the Midlands in a few weeks, and it should be another barn burner of a tourney, assuming everyone is getting healthy from both teams.
Old 12-07-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burk View Post
Last night's dual between the top 2 teams in the country lived up to all of the hype. The Cyclones came up short, losing 4 out of the first 5 matches and dropping the dual 18-16 to the Hawkeyes. While ISU closed the gap and continues to be right on the tail of Iowa, they also have yet to get over the hump of beating the 2 time defending National Champions. I believe they have the ability to do it, but until it happens, Iowa is the favorite.

Overall, the atmosphere was pretty good. It was a heavy pro-Cyclone arena, and it was loud. There were not as many people as last yr (ONLY about 11,500) this year, but still a solid crowd on a Sunday night to watch two great teams battle it out.

Here is a weight by weight breakdown of the dual.

125 - Long (ISU) vs McDonough (IA)
Redshirt Fr against Redshirt Fr, both Iowa boys, and I'm almost positive they wrestled a few times in high school. McDonough is one of those kids that is never going to take a real solid shot, but he is going to shoot a lot of hope to get you out of position. Really, this was the difference in the match. He was getting underneath Long, and kept moving and moving until he scored. When Long was the aggressor, he scored, but McDonough made it very difficult for him to get much offense going. Really, this could have ended in a major had Long not fought hard the last 20 seconds. I thought this was going to be a MUCH closer match, but again - McDonough hustled in every position and earned the win.

133 - Fanthorpe (ISU) vs Dennis (IA)
Two Illinois boys battling it out. Dennis scored the first takedown and looked great early on. Fanthorpe hit him with a "cisco" for 4 points in the first period, and Dennis had to battle back from that the entire match. Dennis started to slow down a lot in the third period, and it seemed as if Fanthorpe was going to pull out the win, because he looked as if he was in better shape (even though this was his first match of the season). The match went into OT, and a scramble on the edge of the mat resulted in a questionable takedown at the buzzer for Dennis, for the win. Again, Dennis looked on fire for about 4 minutes of this match but wore down. Fanthorpe looked good for it being his first match of the year, and he was in position to win. These two could have many more battles during this season.

141 - Gallick (ISU) vs Leclere (IA)
Gallick came out strong and started to build a lead & riding time throughout the first two periods. I really thought he had an opportunity to get bonus points out of this match the way it began, with a 5-1 lead plus riding time at one point. But, as Gallick wore down, Leclere stayed offensive and continued to attack, and took the match into OT. In OT, Leclere had a front head lock and looked to have a major edge in spinning behind for the win, but as he did so, Gallick high step off his back and put Leclere to his back to secure the win. The takedown was given QUICKLY and might have been questionable, but it was "2" eventually anyway. ISU needed this one bad to stay in, and although it wasn't pretty, Gallick found a way to win.

149 - Mueller (ISU) vs Metcalf (IA)
Obviously Mueller came into this match the big time underdog, but he came out aggressive and scored the first takedown. From there, Metcalf rattled off 9 straight points to take a commanding lead into the third period, but it did not look as if Mueller was going to give up the tech or pin. Holding this to a major would have been huge. BUT, as Metcalf tried to let him up, Mueller stayed on the mat and played possum, refusing to come to his feet. After about 10 seconds of this happening, Metcalf bull-rushed him and put him on his back for the fall. This really hurt the Cyclones, as giving up just a major would have, in hindsight, resulted in a tie for the dual.

157 - Sorenson (ISU) vs Janssen (IA)
Sorenson earned the position for ISU, and Janssen earned the position for Iowa in the only match that had 2 non-ranked guys facing off. Both guys were fairly active and there was some decent action. Sorenson came on strong towards the end to put himself back in the match, but gave up a late takedown to lose 8-6 I believe. This was another one the Cyclones really needed to get, and they went into the break down 15-3 and on their heels quite a bit.

165 - Reader (ISU) vs Morningstar (IA)
These guys always have epic battles, and this one was no different. Except, this time, Reader took the lead and never looked back, and Morningstar never really was able to get his offense going. For ISU to contend with Iowa in the future this season, Reader is going to have to continue to beat Morningstar and/or place ahead of him. I think now that he has proven to himself he can do it, he will continue to do it. At least, that is the hope.

174 - Burk (ISU) vs Borschel (IA)
Borschel is a tough kid to wrestle. He doesn't take a lot of quality shots, but he does shoot a lot, kind of like McDonough. And, he gets himself out of position a lot, but has such good hips, he really is not "out of position." Borschel was the aggressor early on, but Duke stayed in it and started to get to his attacks as well. Both guys were in great position to score probably 4-5 times throughout the match. The difference - Borschel scored 3 times from those positions, and Duke only scored once. In a match at this level, that is going to be the difference.

184 - Ward (ISU) vs Keddy (IA)
I have been saying since last year that if Jerome ever decided to open up a little bit, he would be a tough kid to beat. And, even though he didn't up a lot last night, he was able to get an early takedown to take Keddy out of his game plan, and then added another one last to get the upset and really put the Clones back into the match. Ward needed a big win like this to get his confidence back, and hopefully this gives him the motivation he needs to get rolling.

197 - Varner (ISU) vs Beatty (IA)
Varner is a stud. He dominated Beatty, who is ranked in the top 10 in the country. He looked for the pin throughout the match, but was unable to get Beatty to his back. Varner was lucky that Beatty took a terrible shot at the buzzer, otherwise he probably would not have gotten the major. Regardless, Varner is in a class of his own at 197 this year.

285 - Zabriskie (ISU) vs Raising (IA)
Needing a pin to win the dual, ISU basically was out of it going into this last match. Zabriskie is about 230lbs, and Raising has to cut to make 285. Therefore, this was a tall task for the Cyclones HWT. Both guys were fairly passive and didn't really do too much, and both kind of just hand-fought for the most part. Zabriskie finally got to his legs in OT and scored a takedown to take the win.

The dual ended 18-16, and really could have been a lot different for both teams. I don't think either team is really happy with their performance from last night, and I think they all have plenty to build on for the future. The next time these guys will face off is at the Midlands in a few weeks, and it should be another barn burner of a tourney, assuming everyone is getting healthy from both teams.
Thanks for the report. That was great...
Old 12-07-2009
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Great breakdown...thanks for the report!

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 12-07-2009
Olympian

Thanks

Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort for those of us who couldn't be there. It is great to have this thorough a report from someone who has the experience and love for the sport.
Old 12-08-2009
Go hard or go home!

Excellent breakdown...Thanks Danny.
Old 12-08-2009
Varsity

I too want to add a note of thanks. Very nice summary of events, Daniel. I look forward to as many more of these as you feel like doing. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009

Danny- How are you going to bag on Gallick. He was hurting, not being wore down and he still toughed it out and got the win. I know Duke is your brother but he has not improved over the last two years. He did not wrestle the match to win it he wrestled to keep it close, and did a poor job of that. I think you did a poor job of not giving enough credit to Gallick and you are giving to much credit to Burk.
Old 12-08-2009

how do Tyler Clark and Tony Ramos not crack the lineup for Iowa this year?
Old 12-09-2009
Varsity

Spark just reread the write up and you are way off in what you are saying!
Old 12-09-2009
Junior Varsity

Ramos is redshirting and is recovering from surgery. Clark is redshirting because Iowa State did not release him when he transferred. However, I don't think either of them could beat McDonough at 125. McDonough beat Clark pretty handily in wrestleoffs. If McDonough moves up to 133 next year (as some predict he will) there should be a good battle between Ramos & Clark for the starting position at 125. McDonough will have his hands full at 133 with Nate Moore, though.
Sponsored Links