Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 04-22-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promartinez View Post
Wow that’s an awesome list and info.

Add Ronald Tucker @ Northern Colorado as an Immediate Starter Too. He Wil qualify too.
Really? A kid who has not wrestled any matches of note in over 2 years, who has not shown the ability to control his weight, going to a D1 school that was once thought to be an emerging program that has failed to fulfill any of that promise, and he is going to start right away and qualify? Ronald was a fine age level wrestler at ages where there really is not much talent at the highest weight class. Not sure how that translates into D1 success.
Old 04-23-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Really? A kid who has not wrestled any matches of note in over 2 years, who has not shown the ability to control his weight, going to a D1 school that was once thought to be an emerging program that has failed to fulfill any of that promise, and he is going to start right away and qualify? Ronald was a fine age level wrestler at ages where there really is not much talent at the highest weight class. Not sure how that translates into D1 success.
Nickerson is getting desperate at Northern Colorado. Tucker said on TheOpenMat he was down to Little Rock (new program), Notre Dame (D2 school known for taking kids that matriculate from D1 programs. Last Chance U of the wrestling world) and Campbell (Kolat must be hurting for big boys). He noted that he "didn't want to hop on a bandwagon." Being irredeemably overweight and not competing the last 2 years of high school is certainly a new path. We'll see how this unfolds.

Gonna go ahead and put Tucker at a 0% chance of starting. With the chances of him being on the roster after this year also at 0%. If he is getting a scholarship then Nickerson's career as a head coach must be winding down. The only thing he will qualify for is diabetes.
Old 04-23-2019
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Mueller was only a Junior this year. And, from what I have heard from reliable sources, Louie does not want to go back down to 125.
Mueller said in an interview that the only reason he wrestled this year was because Louie couldn’t make 125 anymore
Old 04-23-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
Mueller said in an interview that the only reason he wrestled this year was because Louie couldn’t make 125 anymore
That's consistent with what I heard from a source as close to the situation as Mueller.
Old 04-23-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MslWrestler119 View Post
I guess when I was making my list I had in mind the articles that Flowrestling and other wrestling publications write up about NCAA qualifiers from each state and heat maps of where the top wrestling beds are. Real Woods lists his hometown as Albuquerque, New Mexico on the Stanford wrestling site, so I think the tally will go to NM when he qualifies next year. Again, this is no slight to Woods, I for one think he places next year on his way of becoming a 4x All-American. This will give Montini their first D1 NCAA All-American, with hopefully many more to come with Stiles, Christensen, Ragusin, Lewan and company.
It is a surprise that it would be their first. Who has the most? I would guess Mt Carmel, OP River For., or Sandburg but have no idea, maybe some old school dominant school like East Leyden or Providence.
Old 04-23-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Blonjuan44

Who has the most?
Off the top of my head these are the top HS that have produced the most D1 All-Americans. I aplogize if I am missing any D1 All-American's from the below schools.

OPRF #6 AA
John Giura, Sam Brooks, Chris Dardanes, Nick Dardanes, Isiaiah White, Larry Early

Carl Sandburg #4 AA
Pete Friedl, Brandon Precin, Conrad Polz, Patrick Brucki

Mt. Carmel #4 AA
Joe Williams, TJ Williams, Tony Davis, BJ Futrell

Last edited by Bulldogwrestler; 04-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
Off the top of my head these are the top HS that have produced the most D1 All-Americans. I aplogize if I am missing any D1 All-American's from the below schools.

OPRF #6 AA
John Giura, Sam Brooks, Chris Dardanes, Nick Dardanes, Isiaiah White, Larry Early

Carl Sandburg #5 AA
Pete Friedl, Jimmy Kennedy, Brandon Precin, Conrad Polz, Patrick Brucki

Mt. Carmel #4 AA
Joe Williams, TJ Williams, Tony Davis, BJ Futrell
Jimmy Kennedy went to Grant
Old 04-23-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BIRDMAN66

Jimmy Kennedy went to Grant
Nice catch! Sorry my bad! I shouldn't of went off of memory. So many Sandburg kids went to U of IL which is why I think I made this mistake.
Old 04-23-2019
Varsity

Doesn't Fenwick get half of those dardanes AA though? Or are we just going to forget they went there?
Old 04-23-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted By: barzagar

Doesn't Fenwick get half of those dardanes AA though? Or are we just going to forget they went there?
I am not affiliated with either school so you can debate this with the OPRF/Fenwick fans.
Sponsored Links