Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 06-11-2019
Olympian

My Picks for Final X Rutgers

55 kg – Max Nowry (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. Brady Koontz (Plover, Wis./Ohio RTC)

This is the story of the veteran star versus the up-and-coming star. Koontz was an upset winner to get this far. He probably doesn't have the man strength that Nowry is now developing. You gotta go with the veteran Max Nowry. Not because he wrestles with the ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER, but because he is better and he wrestles for the ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER.

67 kg – Ellis Coleman (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. Jamel Johnson (Camp LeJeune, N.C./U.S. Marine Corps)

This is a battle between the Army and the Marines. It is also a battle between good and evil. I'm going with good. I like Ellis Coleman to win, not because he wrestles for the IRTC, but because he is better and he wrestles for the IRTC.

87 kg- Joe Rau (Chicago, Ill./Titan Mercury WC/Chicago RTC) versus Ben Provisor (State College, Pa./New York AC/Nittany Lion WC)

These guys have been Grecoing for a long time. I'm not sure who to pick, as they both have pretty good resumes. I guess I'll go with Rau in two matches. Everybody hates the NLWC, right?

Men’s GR 77 kg – Kamal Bey (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids/OTC) vs. Pat Smith (Minneapolis, Minn./Minnesota Storm)

I really like Kamal Bey in this one. He's such a throwing stud. Plus, he's local. If you're gonna do Greco, then throw the crap outta the other guy, that's what I say. But, I haven't picked an upset yet, so I'll go with Pat Smith here in three matches.

Nick Gwiazdowski (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC) vs. Gable Steveson (Apple Valley, Minn./Minnesota RTC)

This is another of those veteran stars versus up-and-coming stars type matches. Love the Gwiz, but Gable Steveson seems to be more on a mission than during his true freshman year in the NCAAs. Gotta go with the Gwiz and two world bronze medals.

J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/OTC) vs. Bo Nickal (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

Yet another wily veteran versus the new kid in town. People started talking. There's a new kid in town. J'den is a World Champ and Nickal is undersized and has bad hair. Have to go with J'den Cox here all day.

Yianni Diakomihalis (Rochester, N.Y./Titan Mercury WC/Finger Lakes RTC) vs. Zain Retherford (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

Another young guy versus a veteran. Thing is, Retherford doesn't have the past freestyle glory that J'den Cox or Gwiz has. Moreover, they never lost to their opponents before, while Retherford has lost to Yawny the Greek. I have to go with the Greek here. But it might take an appeal or a court case.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 06-11-2019
Varsity

Nailed it....
Old 06-11-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Nailed it....
Wow! You're right! I couldn't have done better. Even the part about a protest or court case to resolve the Yawny/Rutherford winner was spot on. What do you think of that? If you are going to review something that happened 45 seconds after a challenge brick was finally thrown, then you have to give the wrestlers a chance to finish the match.

What USAW wrestling did here was goat poop.

Because of it, I have spent over a trillion dollars to send the Mongolian Freestyle coaches back in time to the Poeta/Burroughs championship match to protest the Nebraska wrestler spending the whole match on his knees. Even when he wasn't wrestling, he was on his knees!

The good news from Rutgers is that Max Nowry and Ellis Coleman are Final X Champions! They will represent the IRTC and the United States of America versus the world!

GO IRTC!!!
Old 06-12-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
55 kg – Max Nowry (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. Brady Koontz (Plover, Wis./Ohio RTC)

This is the story of the veteran star versus the up-and-coming star. Koontz was an upset winner to get this far. He probably doesn't have the man strength that Nowry is now developing. You gotta go with the veteran Max Nowry. Not because he wrestles with the ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER, but because he is better and he wrestles for the ILLINOIS REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER.

67 kg – Ellis Coleman (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. Jamel Johnson (Camp LeJeune, N.C./U.S. Marine Corps)

This is a battle between the Army and the Marines. It is also a battle between good and evil. I'm going with good. I like Ellis Coleman to win, not because he wrestles for the IRTC, but because he is better and he wrestles for the IRTC.

87 kg- Joe Rau (Chicago, Ill./Titan Mercury WC/Chicago RTC) versus Ben Provisor (State College, Pa./New York AC/Nittany Lion WC)

These guys have been Grecoing for a long time. I'm not sure who to pick, as they both have pretty good resumes. I guess I'll go with Rau in two matches. Everybody hates the NLWC, right?

Men’s GR 77 kg – Kamal Bey (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids/OTC) vs. Pat Smith (Minneapolis, Minn./Minnesota Storm)

I really like Kamal Bey in this one. He's such a throwing stud. Plus, he's local. If you're gonna do Greco, then throw the crap outta the other guy, that's what I say. But, I haven't picked an upset yet, so I'll go with Pat Smith here in three matches.

Nick Gwiazdowski (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC) vs. Gable Steveson (Apple Valley, Minn./Minnesota RTC)

This is another of those veteran stars versus up-and-coming stars type matches. Love the Gwiz, but Gable Steveson seems to be more on a mission than during his true freshman year in the NCAAs. Gotta go with the Gwiz and two world bronze medals.

J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/OTC) vs. Bo Nickal (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

Yet another wily veteran versus the new kid in town. People started talking. There's a new kid in town. J'den is a World Champ and Nickal is undersized and has bad hair. Have to go with J'den Cox here all day.

Yianni Diakomihalis (Rochester, N.Y./Titan Mercury WC/Finger Lakes RTC) vs. Zain Retherford (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

Another young guy versus a veteran. Thing is, Retherford doesn't have the past freestyle glory that J'den Cox or Gwiz has. Moreover, they never lost to their opponents before, while Retherford has lost to Yawny the Greek. I have to go with the Greek here. But it might take an appeal or a court case.

GO IRTC!!!
That is a lot of Illinois guys. I looked at this match below with IMar and Borroughs - it was basically make the other guy step out of bounds contest. It is hard to appreciate as much when used to Folkstyle, but would be even more low scoring, so probably best to wrestle Freestyle. Is Bo better than Borroughs at this time in his career? I see Bo Nickal winning his match.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80OCfGqoWs
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
That is a lot of Illinois guys. I looked at this match below with IMar and Borroughs - it was basically make the other guy step out of bounds contest. It is hard to appreciate as much when used to Folkstyle, but would be even more low scoring, so probably best to wrestle Freestyle. Is Bo better than Borroughs at this time in his career? I see Bo Nickal winning his match.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80OCfGqoWs
That is a lot of ILLINOIS guys.

Great point.

I looked at this match below with IMar and Borroughs - it was basically make the other guy step out of bounds contest. It is hard to appreciate as much when used to Folkstyle, but would be even more low scoring, so probably best to wrestle Freestyle.

It was a battle of step outs. Agreed. I would love to see IMAR pancake Burroughs the first time he does that wrestling-from-his-knees-trying-to-drive-his-opponent-out thing. The front headlock did not stop Burroughs when he was driving forward. Perhaps a cement mixer would? At least it might put the fear into Burroughs.

The third picture in this sequence shows IMAR trying the front headlock. It didn't stop Burroughs. IMAR loves the underhook, and that underhook is primed for a pancake or cement mixer. Even if he doesn't have control of Burroughs' other shoulder, he can still throw him off balance with it.

About those step outs, Sumo is a sport that is 95-98% pushouts. I've seen the occasional match where one guy falls down, and that's a win for the other guy. Almost their whole sport is step outs!

I am inclined to at least consider the USAW and the states adopting freestyle in lieu of folkstyle. The rules have changed so that the product on the mat is exceptional. Back when they did the three two-minute periods and the ball grab, I would never have considered it.

This Yawny/Rutherford controversy doesn't change my mind either. Some folks on other boards are saying controversy like that will be the death of wrestling. I disagree. Controversy like that will get more people involved.

Is Bo better than Borroughs at this time in his career? I see Bo Nickal winning his match.

That's a good question, and I think people would have many different answers. Here's mine: If by "better" you mean more entertaining or better overall at wrestling, I think Nickal was the "better" wrestler during his junior and senior years compared to Burroughs during his junior and senior years.

But Burroughs was so good at what he does, he was able to win a Freestyle world championship coming right out of college. Bo Nickal is close, but I don't think he can beat Cox or Taylor yet. Of course, both of them are world champions, but Burroughs had to beat a world champion to win his first world championship.

GO ILLINI/IRTC!!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Being a UofI wrestling expert, why has there not been a peak in attendance in the last 8 years?

U of I Single-Match Attendance Records

Information updated through 2017-18 season

Attendance Opponent Date
3,573 Iowa Jan. 28, 2005
2,469 Purdue Feb. 18, 2010
2,341 Iowa Feb. 24, 2008
2,309 Michigan Feb. 3, 2006
2,048 Northwestern Feb. 17, 2005
2,037 Minnesota Feb. 4, 2001
1,669 Minnesota Feb. 6, 2004
1,623 Purdue Feb. 17, 2000
1,533 Iowa Feb. 24, 2002