Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthepack12 View Post
Flo just posted an article participants by state for super 32. E'lan is listed under Illinois his brother is listed under ohio.
How is this even close to legal? I am also very surprised Dale to would down for something obviously against the rules. He has always been the class of Lake County this goes against that.

Hope the Libertyville faithful can shed some light on this
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRFAN99 View Post
How is this even close to legal? I am also very surprised Dale to would down for something obviously against the rules. He has always been the class of Lake County this goes against that.

Huh? Since when is it not legal to move from one state to another? Perhaps little bro chose to stay back in Illinois with relatives, a legal guardian (as determined by the courts), or perhaps parents went their separate ways for a while or even permanently. To assume something shady is a bit of a leap. College is majorly expensive. Law abiding people all the time find creative ways to make it a little more affordable for their kids and loved ones. All we know is that a blue chip wrestler who already verbally committed to wrestle for our state's flagship university has moved and now attends a school with strong academics, an above average but not typically elite wrestling program within reasonable proximity to a great place to train in Team Poeta. There are overwhelming totally legit and legal reasons to make such a move.....yet people always wants to and the worst and come out here and disparage others with zero knowledge.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

It is also very possible that the parents got a decent job offer in Illinois and decided to take it so they could be closer to their son when he wrestles in college. Nothing seems shady about this to me. Does anyone really think Eggert went to Ohio and tried to recruit this kid?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:

Below is a link to the IHSA rules on the subject. Sections 4 and especially 8 are the most relevant to these types of discussions. Based on the info that has been posted, hard to say that anything obviously against the rules is going on. If someone does know that rules are being broken and feels strongly enough, going to the IHSA would seem to be a more appropriate course of action than starting potentially false rumors on a public message board. It's a free country and we can say what we want, but these are kids that are the subjects of these types of posts, too.

https://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms...g_rules_lg.pdf
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Huh? Since when is it not legal to move from one state to another? Perhaps little bro chose to stay back in Illinois with relatives, a legal guardian (as determined by the courts), or perhaps parents went their separate ways for a while or even permanently. To assume something shady is a bit of a leap. College is majorly expensive. Law abiding people all the time find creative ways to make it a little more affordable for their kids and loved ones. All we know is that a blue chip wrestler who already verbally committed to wrestle for our state's flagship university has moved and now attends a school with strong academics, an above average but not typically elite wrestling program within reasonable proximity to a great place to train in Team Poeta. There are overwhelming totally legit and legal reasons to make such a move.....yet people always wants to and the worst and come out here and disparage others with zero knowledge.
It is legal to move but when it becomes public of where he is living and who he is living with I think it will be a stretch to say, "now attends a school with strong academics".

I know the state doesn't care and I'm sure they did this all legal like but please don't defend this as anything more then a move for sports! I'm just surprised Dale would be good with this, he is usually against stuff like this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
It is legal to move but when it becomes public of where he is living and who he is living with I think it will be a stretch to say, "now attends a school with strong academics".

I know the state doesn't care and I'm sure they did this all legal like but please don't defend this as anything more then a move for sports! I'm just surprised Dale would be good with this, he is usually against stuff like this.
It's a move for sports? Really? Everything i see suggests it's a move to make college more affordable. He did not move to a stronger wrestling program. Libertyville by no means can be seen as a stronger program than LaSalle. He had great partners there, a great coaching staff and great competition. So how is the move a notably better situation for his wrestling career. Get real. It's not a bad move, but my no means is it notably better. The only obvious benefit is in state tuition.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
It's a move for sports? Really? Everything i see suggests it's a move to make college more affordable. He did not move to a stronger wrestling program. Libertyville by no means can be seen as a stronger program than LaSalle. He had great partners there, a great coaching staff and great competition. So how is the move a notably better situation for his wrestling career. Get real. It's not a bad move, but my no means is it notably better. The only obvious benefit is in state tuition.
Schools can offer in state tuition without it counting towards scholarships. I'm not sure how much of a scholarship U of I is giving him but he gets no extra money for the move. This is a move for him to be close to Poeta, and to be a practice partner for another U of I wrestler.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
ILWrestle.com

Quote:

As a district administrator for Libertyville/Vernon Hills 128, I can tell you that Dale is as thrilled as I am that a nationally ranked kid chose to come to Illinois, to wrestle for Libertyville, to work out at Poeta's, to move on and wrestle for U of I. His transfer and eligibility are clean.

If you knew Dale like I know Dale, you'd never question his integrity. The reasons why this kid made this move are his story, his family's story... not for this forum. But I can assure you, they were purely in the best interest of this young man.

Mick
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWrestle View Post
As a district administrator for Libertyville/Vernon Hills 128, I can tell you that Dale is as thrilled as I am that a nationally ranked kid chose to come to Illinois, to wrestle for Libertyville, to work out at Poeta's, to move on and wrestle for U of I. His transfer and eligibility are clean.

If you knew Dale like I know Dale, you'd never question his integrity. The reasons why this kid made this move are his story, his family's story... not for this forum. But I can assure you, they were purely in the best interest of this young man.

Mick
No one is questioning his integrity, Dale is class act. I also even said I'm sure its all on the level and sure they followed all the rules.

I just said a person moving states to live without a parent can be legal but still outside the rules "as they are intended".

If the version I am hearing is wrong I am truly sorry, but if someone moved in with another wrestlers family to train for college that may be legal (once paperwork is done) but absolutely again the rules.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

More E'lan info

Word is E'lan wasn't returning to LaSalle for reasons I'm not sure of. The U of I coaches were going to set him up in the apartment of an U of I RTC wrestler and go to a Champaign area school. He was set to enroll the Monday after the U of I recruit weekend. While down on the recruit weekend, Danny Pucino's mom heard E'lan's story and decided to take him in and become his legal guardian. The guardianship was established and he was enrolled in Libertyville the following week. LaSalle signed off on his transfer waiver so he is eligible to compete for Libertyville.

In terms of his transfer being for wrestling only, if anyone knows E'lan's former coach Ryan Root, no one having a chance to wrestle for Coach Root leaves him, especially if it is a guy that already wrestled for him for three years. And no elite wrestler leaves LaSalle with the type of schedule they have, and the type of workout partners they have, if they have a choice. I would imagine with LaSalle being a private school in the Cincinnati area, the move isn't for academic reasons either.

It would appear his transfer is simply being a better living situation with the Pucino's than what he had in Cincinnati.
Sponsored Links