Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-24-2010
Vegetarian wrestling!

Bye-bye Olympic wrestling?

http://www.fila-grappling.com/combatgrappling/

"Combat grappling is a hybrid sport formed of wrestling, jujitsu and other styles of submission fighting that also incorporates striking and kicking techniques. The philosophy lying behind combat grappling is to provide common grounds to all combat styles and to create a safe amateur form of Mixed Martial Arts." - http://www.fila-grappling.com/filead...tions_2010.pdf - page 3, Article 2.

Something like this could perk up the ears of the IOC when considering how to continue to shrink events such as judo, boxing, wrestling and Taekwondo in the name of "saving time and money." Personally, I think it's only time before this transition begins to take place, especially considering there are professional ranks that provide a seemingly bottomless pool of tough guys around the globe.
Old 02-24-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofurky View Post

"Combat grappling is a hybrid sport formed of wrestling, jujitsu and other styles of submission fighting that also incorporates striking and kicking techniques. The philosophy lying behind combat grappling is to provide common grounds to all combat styles and to create a safe amateur form of Mixed Martial Arts." - http://www.fila-grappling.com/filead...tions_2010.pdf - page 3, Article 2.

Something like this could perk up the ears of the IOC when considering how to continue to shrink events such as judo, boxing, wrestling and Taekwondo in the name of "saving time and money." Personally, I think it's only time before this transition begins to take place, especially considering there are professional ranks that provide a seemingly bottomless pool of tough guys around the globe.
I was talking to a guy I know who was has medaled for the US a couple of times at the world championships for grappling and he said that there is definitely talk of eliminating one of the styles of wrestling, most likely Greco prior to 2012. He also expressed that the conventional wisdom has grappling being added as an olympic sport in its place. I'd had to see Greco go. I realize that some people might feel that Greco is the most obsolete style and the easiest to chop. I just hope if it does get the axe that USAW and FILA does not abandon it. It would be nice to see it retain its world championships and other international events. I think Greco skills are very important to a young wrestler's development and it needs to stick around.
Old 02-24-2010
Vegetarian wrestling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
I was talking to a guy I know who was has medaled for the US a couple of times at the world championships for grappling and he said that there is definitely talk of eliminating one of the styles of wrestling, most likely Greco prior to 2012. He also expressed that the conventional wisdom has grappling being added as an olympic sport in its place. I'd had to see Greco go. I realize that some people might feel that Greco is the most obsolete style and the easiest to chop. I just hope if it does get the axe that USAW and FILA does not abandon it. It would be nice to see it retain its world championships and other international events. I think Greco skills are very important to a young wrestler's development and it needs to stick around.
That would be sad, but I've been hearing those same grumblings for some time now, too.

I have to say that if Greco is not part of the Olympic Games, it almost loses some legitimacy as a style and would be hard to keep around.

Greco skills are necessary and the right coaches will keep them around, but there aren't enough of the "right coaches" in this case.
Old 02-24-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Some countries, like France and Sweden, focus almost exclusively on Greco. In other countries, like the eastern block countries, Greco is still king. Losing Greco would be a big blow.
Old 03-02-2010
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to WashingtonWrestler135
it would be sad to see greco go. i have to say it is one of my favorite style of wrestling
Old 03-03-2010
Junior Varsity

If this happened it would likely be the biggest blow to our sport in its entire history. When the original Olympics occurred in ancient Greece, wasn't Greco-Roman the style used? There is so much tradition in Greco-Roman wrestling. It'll be a sad day when the IOC eliminates a wrestling style.
Sponsored Links