Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 09-29-2019
Olympian

The Batman in "The Search for a Four-Time State Champ"

Old 09-29-2019
Olympian

This is what I know about Dylan Connell. He will be a junior this year, and he's already a 2x IHSA State Champion for Marian Central Catholic High School. He won as a freshman at 152, and then again as a sophomore at 160. According to an article about his championship as a freshman, Dylan won 4-3 and was able to cement that victory by riding out his championship opponent for about the final 50 seconds.

So, we got ourselves somebody who already knew how to ride as a freshman in high school!

He is tall for his weight, but he's got some guns. It appears that some of that good training comes from Team Poeta. In videos on youtube, you can see that Dylan has both double- and single-leg attacks. He has paid very close attention to the Whizzer Series, and he has an assortment of cheap tilts.

As an underclassman in high school, he was already tilting really good wrestlers.

Congratulations to Dylan, the Connell family, his high school coaches, and the ILLINI coaches!

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 10-04-2019
Olympian

I am in very real danger of exploding from all of the great news! Would anybody like to join me in a bit of spontaneous combustion?

Holy Giant Grapplers, Batman!

Old 10-04-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
I am in very real danger of exploding from all of the great news! Would anybody like to join me in a bit of spontaneous combustion?

Holy Giant Grapplers, Batman!

Chief,

First of all, I'm glad any time the Illini get a commitment from an Illinois state champ. I see a kid who needs LOTS of work on his feet. This seems surprising given that he is a product of team Poeta. On the positive side, he seems to have a powerful build and should have lots of room to develop.
Old 10-04-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Chief,

First of all, I'm glad any time the Illini get a commitment from an Illinois state champ. I see a kid who needs LOTS of work on his feet. This seems surprising given that he is a product of team Poeta. On the positive side, he seems to have a powerful build and should have lots of room to develop.
Interesting take.....For starters, Goodman is not a state champ yet, but I would say his chances are excellent in 2020, particularly in 2A which is where Deerfield is competing. Secondly, I'm not sure I would agree with your assessment of his feet. He has REALLY good footwork for a big kid. It may not always translate into a ton of takedowns, but he gets the points on his feet when he needs them and really has great defense and counter offense. On the other hand, I would say that "power" is kind of where he has lacked, which is totally something he can and will improve. Nonetheless, this is a nice pickup for the Illini. He's probably more of a 184 pounder in college based on his height, but based on how he fills out he could be a 197.
Old 10-04-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Interesting take.....For starters, Goodman is not a state champ yet, but I would say his chances are excellent in 2020, particularly in 2A which is where Deerfield is competing. Secondly, I'm not sure I would agree with your assessment of his feet. He has REALLY good footwork for a big kid. It may not always translate into a ton of takedowns, but he gets the points on his feet when he needs them and really has great defense and counter offense. On the other hand, I would say that "power" is kind of where he has lacked, which is totally something he can and will improve. Nonetheless, this is a nice pickup for the Illini. He's probably more of a 184 pounder in college based on his height, but based on how he fills out he could be a 197.
I think he is referring to Dylan Connell not Cody Goodman.
Old 10-04-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you are saying. I'm just commenting on the Flo videos from March of this year where he did not look very good on his feet, in my opinion. If he wasn't a state champ, then perhaps I am overestimating his ability to begin with.
Old 10-04-2019
Junior Varsity

Would Goodman be the favorite in A?
Old 10-04-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you are saying. I'm just commenting on the Flo videos from March of this year where he did not look very good on his feet, in my opinion. If he wasn't a state champ, then perhaps I am overestimating his ability to begin with.
I wouldn't say you are overestimating his ability based on him not winning a title in 3A last year. He placed 3rd behind a couple of top 20 nationally ranked wrestlers who will be wrestling Wisconsin and NC State. The gap between Goodman and Danweh was purely brute strength last year.
Old 10-04-2019
Varsity

I think you mean UNC
Sponsored Links