Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 12-08-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
Sportsmanship. Courtesy. Respect. Decency......

I'm not saying that GBN is lacking in those traits, but you asked why....
I Think shaking hands before & after the match and the whole teams hand after the dual shows sportsmanship, courtesy, respect and decency. Donít see anything wrong not shaking the coaches hand after the match. Most of the coaches are just gonna lie to kid after he just got his *** handed to him and say good match. Whats the point of that? After a loss I donít blame a kid not wanting to walk over there and have the coach straight lie to his disappointed face .
Old 12-09-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:

You shake the hand of the person you actually wrestled with. You donít need to shake the coaches hand. Thatís why everyone lines up at the end of the dual. Iím not sure when it became custom to shake the coaches hand but itís superfluous.
Old 12-09-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDDOT1973 View Post
GBN 35 Huntley 27
Box score:

GBN 106 Woo TF
Huntley 113 Jensen W MD 12-1
Schulke GBN 120 MD 13-2
GBN Allen 126 TF
Spencer HUNt 132 3-2 OT
Huntley Lira 138 W MD 13-2
Huntley Jakowitsch 145 W
GBN Kyler Kradle`152 Fall
GBN Cody Dertz 160 11-9 OT
Huntley Rukkus Hunkins 170 pin
Huntley Ferante 182 FF
GBN Alonzo Smiley 195 9-7 over Hunkins
GBN David Ruiz 220 pin
GBN Paul Robertson 285 3-0

Last edited by TappedOut; 12-09-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:

In Iowa their state rule is that no wrestler will shake the opposing coaches hand during a dual meet, or they will be deducted a team point.

The rationale is that if a kid loses, is throwing a fit, says something or a kid on the bench says something to them then a situation could be started that is now only doing more harm than good.

The captains and coaches shake hands pre-dual, the kids shake each other's hands before the match, the kids shake each other's hands after the match, ALL the kids and coaches shake hands after the dual...what's the need for one more handshake lol?
Old 12-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bottleservice View Post
In Iowa their state rule is that no wrestler will shake the opposing coaches hand during a dual meet, or they will be deducted a team point.

The rationale is that if a kid loses, is throwing a fit, says something or a kid on the bench says something to them then a situation could be started that is now only doing more harm than good.

The captains and coaches shake hands pre-dual, the kids shake each other's hands before the match, the kids shake each other's hands after the match, ALL the kids and coaches shake hands after the dual...what's the need for one more handshake lol?

because 5 handshakes =Sportsmanship. Courtesy. Respect. Decency

only 4 handshakes = lack of sportsmanship, no courtesy, zero respect, and indecency
Old 12-09-2019
Varsity

Can we talk about the cowboy boots?
I hate to break it to them, but cowboy boots went of mainstream style back in 1981 along with tube socks. Although tube socks may have made it till about 1983.
Cowboy boots were all the rage in 1979 - 1981. 2019-20 not so much. The bleach blonde hair is also snore worthy. Zzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 12-09-2019
Junior Varsity

The whole Iowa thing mentioned previously says it all.
That is a great traditionally successful program to try to emulate. Hats off to that. Maybe other teams should try to emulate their own favorite college team. It seems obvious that they are trying to be the prototypical Iowa program. In the end it's all good, all will come down to same demise...
A good old fashion moon pounding from a Catholic school in Lombard.
All is well. ItsAgd2baRR. Good luck to all. Btw in Urban Cowboy, the big question asked was...
"Are you a real cowboy"???? Love all, hate none.
Be thankful we still have kids coming out for this great sport of ours.
Old 12-09-2019
Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapple20 View Post
Iím not sure when it became custom to shake the coaches hand but itís superfluous.
It's a rule that you have to shake the other coach's hand in International styles (UWW Article 29). So maybe it became the custom when people started wrestling FS/GR in the off season.
Old 12-09-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by myego View Post
The whole Iowa thing mentioned previously says it all.
That is a great traditionally successful program to try to emulate. Hats off to that. Maybe other teams should try to emulate their own favorite college team. It seems obvious that they are trying to be the prototypical Iowa program. In the end it's all good, all will come down to same demise...
A good old fashion moon pounding from a Catholic school in Lombard.
All is well. ItsAgd2baRR. Good luck to all. Btw in Urban Cowboy, the big question asked was...
"Are you a real cowboy"???? Love all, hate none.
Be thankful we still have kids coming out for this great sport of ours.
I was talking about the Iowa High School Athletic Association...not the Hawkeyes
Old 12-10-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus_TheBarber_Beefcake View Post
I Think shaking hands before & after the match and the whole teams hand after the dual shows sportsmanship, courtesy, respect and decency. Don’t see anything wrong not shaking the coaches hand after the match. Most of the coaches are just gonna lie to kid after he just got his *** handed to him and say good match. Whats the point of that? After a loss I don’t blame a kid not wanting to walk over there and have the coach straight lie to his disappointed face .
If my wrestler destroyed the other wrestler I would always tell the other guy 'good luck'.
If he got "caught" or made a mistake, or it was a close match and he lost I would tell him 'good match, it could have gone either way'.
If I knew the opponent's, either directly or having seen them at past tournaments and he lost, however that was, I may offer encouraging words or compliments on moves or techniques, depending.

If my wrestler lost, I would always tell the opposing guy good job, good luck etc., weather I knew him, liked him or his team or coaches, no matter how my guy lost.
It's just simple sportsmanship.

It doesn't have to be a lie.
Unless you are a fake person.
Sponsored Links