Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-13-2020
Junior Varsity

Reasons For/Against Weighted State Series

285lbs Quincy Sectional Bracket: 6+ ranked wrestler will be left home for the state tournament. Dramatically weakening the competition compared to other weights.

Why is this not evidence enough to change the state series to a weighted series instead of the current format?

Is it better for more people to qualify for the state tournament or put together a more competitive tournament, all around(one class)?

As someone who lives out of state but still follows Illinois wrestling, its difficult to praise the state tournament with all its flaws. No true wrestle-back, walk-overs, and three classes are all things that combine for a weak state tournament as far as competition.

Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2020
Varsity

There are wrestle backs and there are no walk overs.

Also, an unranked heavyweight has the same opportunity to make it through as the #1.
Old 02-13-2020
Varsity

There are true wrestle backs. There are no walkovers.
Old 02-13-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPointsTD View Post
285lbs Quincy Sectional Bracket: 6+ ranked wrestler will be left home for the state tournament. Dramatically weakening the competition compared to other weights.

Why is this not evidence enough to change the state series to a weighted series instead of the current format?

Is it better for more people to qualify for the state tournament or put together a more competitive tournament, all around(one class)?

As someone who lives out of state but still follows Illinois wrestling, its difficult to praise the state tournament with all its flaws. No true wrestle-back, walk-overs, and three classes are all things that combine for a weak state tournament as far as competition.

Thoughts?

So you think that having 6+ ranked wrestlers in one weight class at a sectional is a travesty but you are against 3 classes...\_(ツ)_/
Old 02-13-2020
Junior Varsity

This has been going on for years. Certain sectionals have been a bloodbath. We've seen previous state place winners not even qualify the next year. No sport better prepares you for life than wrestling. Put in the time. Do the work. Believe in your training. Achieve your goals.

Last edited by EAGLE4LIFE; 02-13-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2020
Varsity

I do remember a couple years back the Providence kid place 2nd at regionals, 3rd at sectionals then wins state. Then doesn't even qualify the following year. This was more do to injury but it was still a tough sectional weight.
Old 02-13-2020
Varsity

Your also using rankings as if they are the bible of who is the best. They are a tool for fans that's it. If the best 3 NFL teams are in same conference so be it, we are trying to find at champ not the best 16 making it. Some of those guys have loses to guys not in that sectional and not ranked or HM.

Last edited by WRFAN99; 02-13-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Posted wrong
Old 02-13-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bottleservice View Post
So you think that having 6+ ranked wrestlers in one weight class at a sectional is a travesty but you are against 3 classes...\_(ツ)_/
I said 6+ ranked wrestler left home from state and that's just one weight class. If a regional/sectional is stronger they should get more qualifiers.

Rankings are NOT just for fans. They are a means by which we seed tournaments. They are by no means perfect but better than nothing.

And yes, I am against three classes.

Two classes was bad enough back in the day and the difference in talent was substantial.

Three classes is a travesty. I'm not a parent. I am a fan. I want the best event to aspire to compete at or attend. Three classes going at once is muddled and chaotic. Better wrestlers are home because participation is worth more than producing a good event.

Give me arguments for three classes? What makes it better than how California does their state series?
Old 02-13-2020
World Champ

There is no good answer to this issue. I understand everyone deserving should get to experience wrestling at State. All the kids regardless of their records earned the right to compete. Some obviously would not make it if they were in a different sectional. It is what it is. Just remember you saw a number 1 get pinned in 26 seconds by an unranked wrestler.
Old 02-13-2020
Olympian

So you have a problem with a loaded hwt sectional, and your solution is to eliminate one class.

It’s hard to argue ?

You do know eliminating one class would make the sectionals even tougher, right ? Also how could you weight a sectional ? Based on whose rankings would be use? IWCOA or the ones on this site ?

Sounds like you have a hwt in this sectional and don’t think he’s making it out.

3 classes are needed when schools have a enrollment of 200. And some schools get to recruit. And Chicago schools have 2000 plus students in a school. 3 classes work. What would be cool is a 1a v 2a v 3a dual after the season was complete. A RR format. (And we all know 3a would win any dual, but not every match)

Wrestle on. And good luck to all the wrestlers this weekend. For seniors whose career maybe ending, thanks for your efforts, I wish you all could be state champions or placers.
Sponsored Links