Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 1A

Old 12-28-2019
eazymoney

Post match penalty

Why is it when a kid hits the mat in anger after a match it is a team point? Wouldn't the same go for a kid celebrating after the match?
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoney View Post
Why is it when a kid hits the mat in anger after a match it is a team point? Wouldn't the same go for a kid celebrating after the match?
My understanding is that the kid celebrating(Taunting) occurred while time was still ticking off the clock, therefore it was a match point...If you are referring to the Hoselton vs Caves match.
Old 12-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoney View Post
So if the unsportsmanlike comes while there is still time in the bout, it’s only a penalty point against the athlete. If it is outside of the bout, it goes against the team. BUT, even if the penalty point comes within the match, it goes against the team in criteria if the dual ends in a tie, and the win will be awarded to the opposing team. It happened this weekend against PC as well.
Old 12-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling observer View Post
My understanding is that the kid celebrating(Taunting) occurred while time was still ticking off the clock, therefore it was a match point...If you are referring to the Hoselton vs Caves match.
Go watch it on youtube and judge for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cgOy1sHI10
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

What’s being lost in the “controversy” is what a good match this was and the fact that this match even took place! Kudos to Hoselton for seeking the competition and moving up a weight class to take on the #1 guy — giving up probably at least 10-15 pounds. There is a reason why kids like that have success - they aren’t afraid to go find the best matches they can get. Not to mention, it is just great for the sport at the high school level.
We saw too many instances this weekend of the opposite — kids dodging good matches, for no reason at all. I even saw a few instances where a highly ranked kid at one weight bumped up to wrestle another highly ranked kid, only to have that guy move up or just not wrestle all together. If there are injuries or a need to move a lineup to win a big dual, those are special exceptions. But most of the time, there really is no excuse besides not wanting to risk losing.
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burk View Post
What’s being lost in the “controversy” is what a good match this was and the fact that this match even took place! Kudos to Hoselton for seeking the competition and moving up a weight class to take on the #1 guy — giving up probably at least 10-15 pounds. There is a reason why kids like that have success - they aren’t afraid to go find the best matches they can get. Not to mention, it is just great for the sport at the high school level.
We saw too many instances this weekend of the opposite — kids dodging good matches, for no reason at all. I even saw a few instances where a highly ranked kid at one weight bumped up to wrestle another highly ranked kid, only to have that guy move up or just not wrestle all together. If there are injuries or a need to move a lineup to win a big dual, those are special exceptions. But most of the time, there really is no excuse besides not wanting to risk losing.
Thanks Danny. Caves out wrestled Brandon and deserved to win. What transpired I won’t give my opinion on. But at the state tournament my other son Drew had a few rough calls in regulation that changed the outcome. He never had a overtime period to determine the outcome. A friend told me it was Gods will so I thought no reason to post on Matmen or talk about what could have been. Good luck to Caves. Kids a tank. But I will say this. Next season we wrestle Riverdale again. If the opportunity presents itself. I bet Brandon bumps up again. Our 220 lbs wrestler will hopefully see Caves in the final.

I guess controversy is good for the sport. But when criticizing let’s not lose sight that the athletes read these posts and they are 17 year olds. So let’s keep it civil. Please.

Let’s wrestle.
Old 12-29-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent Assassin View Post
Go watch it on youtube and judge for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cgOy1sHI10
I saw the match online. I agree with the ref. It was a great match though.
Old 12-29-2019
Varsity

It was a good match! The kid beat another good kid.

I see hard work paying off for the boy and he expressed that.

Head up..
Old 12-29-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling observer View Post
I saw the match online. I agree with the ref. It was a great match though.
I think it was a boring match. Not a lot of high level technique for two number one ranked wrestlers. The boos were rightfully deserved.
Old 12-30-2019

State

Jezik beats Hoselton at state. Mark it down!
Sponsored Links