Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-07-2020
World Champ

Regional brackets

Release the damn brackets already! What is this the Iowa caucus running the show here?
Old 02-07-2020
Pride, Pursuit, & Family

Clever popular culture reference! I agree with you. I think that tournaments tend to be "unlocked" around an hour before the tournament begins, any time of the year. They may wait until weigh-ins, thus confirming whether or not to re-seed the brackets. I'm not sure, but I'll check in the morning when I arise.

Good luck to EVERYONE this weekend!
Old 02-07-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino1992 View Post
Release the damn brackets already! What is this the Iowa caucus running the show here?

Even though the ad on the front page of IL Matmen says they will be released at 445 today, I dont think weigh ins are until tomorrow and then the brackets will be released.
Old 02-07-2020
Varsity

What sense would it make to release brackets before weigh-ins?
So you could look at who was in the bracket that blew weight, or was injured/sick?

For the record, I was sucked-in by the headline too, but I guess I wasn't so broken up about it when I realized that it wouldn't make sense posting any brackets before they could be finalized.
Old 02-07-2020
eazymoney

Class A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
What sense would it make to release brackets before weigh-ins?
So you could look at who was in the bracket that blew weight, or was injured/sick?

For the record, I was sucked-in by the headline too, but I guess I wasn't so broken up about it when I realized that it wouldn't make sense posting any brackets before they could be finalized.
Class A has two day regionals so they came out at 445. Brackets are not official until after weigh ins.
Old 02-07-2020
Olympian

Same complaint every year. There are ALWAYS scratches, additions, weight changes and blown weights. Some don’t significantly alter the bracket, some do. Those won’t be finalized until after weigh ins Saturday am for 3A and 2A. Why release an unfinished product? No different than how any other tournament does it.

As for the 4:45 release, admin probably should have specified that that release time was for most of Class 1A, since virtually all of them are 2 day regionals that got under way at 5pm Friday. Admin should have said the 3A and 2A brackets will be released 15 minutes before start time, which is 9 or 10 am depending on location.

Last edited by ctdad; 02-07-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad View Post
Same complaint every year. There are ALWAYS scratches, additions, weight changes and blown weights. Some donít significantly alter the bracket, some do. Those wonít be finalized until after weigh ins Saturday am for 3A and 2A. Why release an unfinished product? No different than how any other tournament does it.

As for the 4:45 release, admin probably should have specified that that release time was for most of Class 1A, since virtually all of them are 2 day regionals that got under way at 5pm Friday. Admin should have said the 3A and 2A brackets will be released 15 minutes before start time, which is 9 or 10 am depending on location.
Glenbard North released the brackets/matchups on their twitter timeline.
Old 02-08-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapple20 View Post
Glenbard North released the brackets/matchups on their twitter timeline.
Those are still unofficial and odds are there will be a couple changes in them before everything starts.
Old 02-08-2020
World Champ

Scratches or blown weight why does it really matter? Coaches submitted their rosters and seeding was done. If the guy you were going to wrestle scratches or blows weight then he forfeits. It's not rocket science folks.
Old 02-08-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad View Post
Same complaint every year. There are ALWAYS scratches, additions, weight changes and blown weights. Some donít significantly alter the bracket, some do. Those wonít be finalized until after weigh ins Saturday am for 3A and 2A. Why release an unfinished product? No different than how any other tournament does it.

Who cares if they're not finalized? You don't think coaches are going back to their teams right after the seeding meeting and showing their wrestlers their brackets. The wrestlers are smart enough to know that a change could be made up until Saturday morning around 8:30 AM and so are the fans. The brackets are 95% or more accurate or Thu night. You're not preventing anyone from switching weights to "run" to a potential easier road to qualify unless you put them under lock and key and swear every coach to secrecy. C'mon now.... It's not rocket science. Nothing wrong with building a little fan anticipation.
Sponsored Links