Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-18-2020
Olympian

The Spectacular ILLINI #12 (FSU Edition)

WHAT: Dual with Fresno State University
WHEN: Friday, February 21 @ 4pm (Central)
WHY: Who Put the Dogs Back? Who? Who?
SWAG: Senior Night, the rest TBD
TV: BTN+ and FLO

WHY WE HATE FRESNO STATE: Well, I really didn’t even care until now, but since you mention it, Fresno State has a Top 10 College Equestrian team. And a vineyard. Need I go on?

THE LAST TIME OUT: The ILLINI had a bad day with Purdue and it still came down to the last match, a 14-18 loss. Overall, the Orange and Blue are 9-4, 6-3 in the Big Ten. Additionally, the ILLINI left the Midlands with a third-place trophy.

The Bulldogs are 9-9 overall, 4-3 in the Big Twelve. Early in the season, they failed to reach double digits in losses to Wisconsin (8-31), Navy (9-25) and Army (9-29). They reached the nirvana of double digits in a loss at home against Rutgers (13-23). FSU lost to Maryland (18-22) but managed to beat hapless Duke (50-0) at the Virginia Duals. They beat Old Dominion (20-15) and have beaten teams like Cal Poly, Kent State, Duke again (but that was a 34-7 squeaker). They’ve lost their last two against North Dakota and South Dakota. We’ll look at their loss to Maryland because the Terps are kind of in the Big Ten:

Quote:
Fresno State 18, Maryland 22

125: Brandon Cray (MD) maj. dec. Destin Summers (FS), 9-0 | MD 4, FS 0
133: King Sandoval (MD) won by fall over Gary Joint (FS), 2:01 | MD 10, FS 0
141: DJ Lloren (FS) dec. Hunter Baxter (MD), 7-1 | MD 10, FS 3
149: Greg Gaxiola (FS) dec. Michael Doetsch (MD), 6-1 | MD 10, FS 6
157: Jahi Jones (MD) dec. Beau Colombini (FS), 3-2 | MD 13, FS 6
165: Kyle Cochran (MD) dec. Ricky Padilla (FS), 9-4 | MD 16, FS 6
174: Brandon Martino (FS) dec. Philip Spadafora (MD), 7-5 | MD 16, FS 9
184: Hunter Cruz (FS) dec. Kyle Jasenski (MD), 4-1 | MD 16, FS 12
197: Jaron Smith (MD) won by medical default over Ryan Reyes (FS), 5:07 | MD 22, FS 12
HWT: Josh Hokit (FS) won by fall over Parker Robinson (MD), 6:26 | MD 22, FS 18
THE LINEUPS: There is no Justin Mejia on the FSU roster. He has disappeared into a cloud of myth. The strange start time of 4:00 pm Central for the dual is probably explained by FSU needing to take the next stagecoach out of Champaign to get to Oklahoma for a dual on Sunday. The oracle at wrestlestat.com is predicting a 23-9 victory for ILLINOIS. These are the likely individual matchups:

Justin Cardani vs. Destin Summers. Cardani beat Maryland’s Brandon Cray in a hard-fought match (2-1). The Bulldog lost to the Terp by major decision (0-9). Wrestlestat.com sees this as a major decision for the ILLINI. Summers is rated as the #161 wrestler at the weight and has an 8-9 record. His wins have come against kids from Corban University, a Stanford backup, Menlo, Fresno City College, the Stanford backup again, and Cal Poly. He has lost to kids from Cerritos College and Menlo, and except for a forfeit win, is on a five-match losing streak. I can see a major decision for Cardani here.

Travis Piotrowski vs. Gary Joint. The Great Indestructible Pio has made his way up to #9 on wrestlestat, which is a lot better than Gary Joint at #81. The Bulldog was actually rated the #40 wrestler at 133 last year, and he was a national qualifier. He beat some pretty good wrestlers last season including Lehigh's Brandon Paetzell at NCAAs, Cam Sykora and #36 Chris Sandoval of Northern Colorado. He finished up with an 18-15 record.

This year has been less scintillating. He's at 8-12 against D1 wrestlers. This might be explained by an injury at Cliff Keen. He's on a three-match losing streak, but he gave Wyoming's Montorie Bridges a good 0-4 match. I'll guess a decision win for Pio here.

Dylan Duncan vs. Durbin Lloren. This will be a tough match for the ILLINI. The Bulldog has a nice record (18-4) and has beaten some pretty good opposition this year, including Sa'Derian Perry of ODU and Grant Willits of Oregon State. He's a junior and a transfer from Utah Valley, where he started as a redshirt freshman but had a lackluster 12-16 record.

These guys are only four ranking units apart on wrestlestat, and against common opponents, Duncan has fared better at 10-3 versus 8-6 for the FSU kid. Duncan has more quality, but this will be a fight.

Mousa Jodeh vs. Greg Gaxiola. We've had unofficial notice that Mike Carr will be out for the season. This is Jodeh's gig now. Gaxiola was a starter for Fresno State as a redshirt freshman. He finished with a 9-18 record. This was up at 157. As the junior starter for the Bulldogs at 149, he has a more respectable 12-8 ledger. He's #69 at wrestlestat, which picks him to win a decision. Since he only has an 8% bonus rate, and this is Jodeh, that's probably right.

Eric Barone vs. Jacob Wright. As a two-time National Qualifier and a Round of 16-finisher, Barone is on the knife edge with an 11-11 record. He'll need to steal a spot at Big Tens or get some real quality wins for a shot at an at-large berth. This would be one of those quality wins if Eric can get it. Wright is 20-5 on the year and #37 on wrestlestat.com. He started for FSU last year and had a 21-11 record, which did not get him into the Big Dance. Barone is 10-10 against common opponents, while the Bulldog is 8-4. The oracle predicts a close decision win for Wright.

To be Continued ...

Last edited by ChiefIllini1; 02-18-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2020
Olympian

My tribute to the great Abas brothers of Fresno State

Danny Braunagel vs. Adam Kemp. We have a prior meeting between these two that happened at last year's Midlands. Brawny2 won it 10-4. Kemp is 9-10 on the year, and has some pretty nice wins over the #49, 51 and 61 ranked wrestlers. Brawlnagel should get this one, and a bonus point isn't out of the question.

Joseph "Guns" Gunther vs. Brandon Martino. The Bulldog has a 9-4 record against D1 opponents and lost to Guns at the Midlands in the second tie breaker. Wrestlestat.com is calling for a one-point win for the ILLINI. Martino had a six-match win streak snapped recently. During the streak he beat some really good wrestlers such as Iowa State's Sam Colbray and Wyoming's Hayden Hastings.

Zac Braunagel vs. Hunter Cruz. Cruz has a nice 16-9 record against D1 wrestlers and a spiffy #41 from wrestlestat. The machine is picking Brawlnagel to win by four, as he is 4-0 against common opponents versus 2-3 for the FSU fellow. Like Brawny1, Cruz is a redshirt freshman.

Matt Wroblewski vs. Isaiah Perez. Wrobo-cop is projected to win this one by seven. His opponent is another redshirt freshman, but he's sporting a 4-7 record against D1 grapplers. His best win in 29 career matches is against the #101 wrestler at the weight.

Luke Luffman vs. Josh Hokit. The computer is projecting a five-point win for the former AA at 197 from Fresno State. Hokit is also famous for being a running back on the FSU football team. He has a 16-3 record on the year and is on an eight-match winning streak. Hokit has beaten the #13, 15, 16 and 23 wrestlers at heavyweight. He's lost to #8 and 11. This will be a stiff test for Luffman against a really athletic foe.

CONCLUSION: There are a number of tight matches in this one, but the ILLINI just seem to be a little bit better at those weights. As long as they get up for the Bulldogs--and for Senior Day--they will get the job done comfortably.

The machine has Hokit (285), Wright and Gaxiola winning. Even if Fresno State gets a couple more upsets, there will likely be bonus points that will carry the day for the ILLINI.
Old 02-18-2020
Varsity

I think the early start time is to bring over fans from the IHSA state finals that will be going on before and after the dual at the State Farm Center. Guessing the attendance will be higher with so many wrestling fans in town.
Old 02-20-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I think the early start time is to bring over fans from the IHSA state finals that will be going on before and after the dual at the State Farm Center. Guessing the attendance will be higher with so many wrestling fans in town.
Good call by you and the coaching staff. I finally found the schedule for State at the IHSA website:

Quote:
Friday, February 21
Session 2
8:30 AM - 3A Winners bracket quarterfinals & 3A 1st round wrestlebacks
11:00 AM - 1A/2A 1st round wrestlebacks
1:30 PM - 1A/2A/3A 2nd round wrestlebacks
Session 3
7:00 PM - Winners bracket Semifinals
That gives you time to stop for food or get a Huff dog while you watch the ILLINI. Wrestling fans can create a beautiful wrestling sandwich: Wrapped inside the delicious bun of High School State wrestling, you have some meaty ILLINI grappling.

More on the Lineups:

This is the probable lineup for Fresno State:

Quote:
125: Jeremy Trinh, RSo. (4-6 overall, 1-2 dual)
133: Lawrence Saenz, RFr. (15-9, 3-3) OR Gary Joint, RSo. (10-12, 6-11)
141: No. 20/23/15/15 DJ Lloren, RJr. (20-4, 10-3)
149: No. -/-/-/29 Greg Gaxiola, RJr. (15-8, 11-5)
157: No. 24/-/-/14 Jacob Wright, RSo. (20-5, 10-3)
165: Adam Kemp, RFr. (12-10, 7-7) OR Ricky Padilla, RSr. (12-10, 4-4)
174: No. -/-/-/32 Jackson Hemauer, RSo. (10-4, 5-2) OR No. 26/19/-/- Brandon Martino, RSo. (10-4, 6-1)
184: Hunter Cruz, RFr. (20-10, 9-5) OR Dominic Kincaid, RSr. (11-9, 1-5)
197: Isaiah Perez, RFr. (9-8, 2-5)
HWT: No. 11/11/11/9 Josh Hokit, Sr. (17-3, 9-1)

- Rankings by NCAA Coaches Panel Ranking (2/13)/FloWrestling/InterMat/Trackwrestling
Jeremy Trinh is not an upgrade on Destin Summers. Trinh has been on the roster for three years at FSU, finishing with a 1-6 record against D1 opposition his first two years. His current record against D1 wrestlers is 1-6. Wrestlestat is picking a tech fall for Cardani, but this could be a pinfall as well. The oracle foresaw a major decision for the ILLINI against Summers.

Lawrence Saenz at 133 shows a 15-9 record, but he's actually 7-8 against D1 guys. He has wrestled 141 all year except for the last two duals at 133. In fact, he was pinned twice this year by Dylan Duncan. Cam Sykora recently beat him by six, so I expect this will be a not-very-close decision or a major for the Great Indestructible Pio.

Ricky Padilla at 165 should be the same result as Adam Kemp for Danny Braunagel: A major decision. Padilla has a losing record against D1 wrestlers. Whomever Gunther gets at 174 will be a good wrestler. The "or" in the matchup is Jackson Hemauer, who was a National Qualifier last year at 184. In both cases, the machine predicts a one-point win for the ILLINI. Finally, Dominic Kinkaid would be a little easier matchup for Brawny1 at 184.

Your Rando Dual from the Past Segment

On the exact same day that soprano Audrey Luna hit the highest-ever note, an A above high C, at the Met Opera house in New York City, and while smog in New Delhi had created a national health emergency in India, a famous American wrestler by the name of Isaiah Martinez sought to win his 100th match in college just thirty miles from his hometown. Did he succeed? See for yourself:

Quote:
#16 Illinois 33, Fresno State 10

125: #14 Travis Piotrowski (ILL) fall Sean Williams (Fresno), 1:04 | ILL 6, Fresno 0
133: #17 Dylan Duncan major dec. (ILL) Trevor Williams (Fresno), 12-4 | ILL 10, Fresno 0
141: Mike Carr (ILL) dec. Chris De Loza (Fresno), 13-7 | ILL 13, Fresno 0
149: Kristian Olivas (Fresno) major dec. #19 Eric Barone (ILL), 10-2 | ILL 13, Fresno 4
157: Greg Gaxiola (Fresno) dec. #16 Kyle Langenderfer (ILL), 9-5 | ILL 13, Fresno 7
165: #2 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech fall Isaiah Hokit (Fresno), 28-13 (5:05) | ILL 18, Fresno 7
174: David Riojas (ILL) fall Dominic Kincaid (Fresno), 4:22 | ILL 24, Fresno 7
184: #8 Emery Parker (ILL) Fall Angel Solis (Fresno), 5:20 | ILL 30, Fresno 7
197: Andre Lee (ILL) dec. Richie Brandt (Fresno), 4-3 | ILL 33, Fresno 7
HWT: AJ Nevills (Fresno) dec. Duece Rachal (ILL), 7-5 | ILL 33, Fresno 10

WARILLINI!!!
Old 02-20-2020
Varsity

Another random fact, if I recall correctly that was Fresno State’s first dual after bringing back their wrestling program.
Old 02-20-2020
Varsity

FRESNO STATE
(I've never heard of the state of Fresno, is it by Cleveland State? - Come to think of it, I've never heard of the state of Cleveland either....or the state of Kent or the state of Appalachian.... What's going on here?)

Assuming they start at 125

125 - W tech/fall UI 5-0 - Trihn has been pinned by most ranked wrestlers he's faced - maybe?
133 - W major UI 9-0 - Whoever goes, I'm still going with the major - Saenz cutting from 141?
141 - W dec UI 12-0 - DD is amped up after the debacle against Filius, comes out hard
149 - L dec UI 12-3 - Jodeh's only major L against anyone this low was #64 Garlitz
157 - L dec UI 12-6 - Could Barone pull out a win in his last home match?
165 - W major UI 16-6 - I'm going with WS for either, DB is 5-2 since Midlands 2 losses vs #27 & #25
174 - W dec UI 19-6 - Guns has a nice win in his last home match (8-3 against either)
184 - W dec UI 22-6 - ZB has a solid win at home - if Kinkaid goes possible major W
197 - W dec UI 25-6 - could Wrobo get the major at home?
285 - L dec UI 25-9 - '19 5th placer (197) too much for the freshman

Bottom line, the Bulldogs aren't bringing enough power to pose any kind of threat to the Illini, teamwise.
The lineup combinations that FSU could make up do not change anything much in their favor, if anything, it could make it worse.
If they change things up it's likely just to get some guys a match or rest an injury.
Old 02-20-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
FRESNO STATE
(I've never heard of the state of Fresno, is it by Cleveland State? - Come to think of it, I've never heard of the state of Cleveland either....or the state of Kent or the state of Appalachian.... What's going on here?)

You are hereby docked 15 ILLINI points.

Assuming they start at 125

125 - W tech/fall UI 5-0 - Trihn has been pinned by most ranked wrestlers he's faced - maybe?

This is a bad spot for a Fresno State Bulldog with Cardani coming off a loss. It could get ugly. What is the record for takedowns in a D1 match?

133 - W major UI 9-0 - Whoever goes, I'm still going with the major - Saenz cutting from 141?

FSU provides two good options here, but Pio is just much better. I'm getting excited for his post-season.

141 - W dec UI 12-0 - DD is amped up after the debacle against Filius, comes out hard

I think you called this one.

149 - L dec UI 12-3 - Jodeh's only major L against anyone this low was #64 Garlitz

Fresno State has had good wrestlers at 149 and 157 since they re-started the program. Tapping into that Cali talent pool, I guess.

157 - L dec UI 12-6 - Could Barone pull out a win in his last home match?

Really want this one for Barone. This match, 174 and heavyweight are the co-Main Events.

165 - W major UI 16-6 - I'm going with WS for either, DB is 5-2 since Midlands 2 losses vs #27 & #25

Good call! I'm right there with you.

174 - W dec UI 19-6 - Guns has a nice win in his last home match (8-3 against either)

Yeah, would love to see all the seniors win.

184 - W dec UI 22-6 - ZB has a solid win at home - if Kinkaid goes possible major W

Want to see the Zac Back.

197 - W dec UI 25-6 - could Wrobo get the major at home?

This is his bring-your-girlfriend-to-the-match match.

285 - L dec UI 25-9 - '19 5th placer (197) too much for the freshman.

Very interested in this match.

Bottom line, the Bulldogs aren't bringing enough power to pose any kind of threat to the Illini, teamwise.
The lineup combinations that FSU could make up do not change anything much in their favor, if anything, it could make it worse.
If they change things up it's likely just to get some guys a match or rest an injury.
I gave you a hard time, Clearly, but I bet it wasn't as hard a time as the coaches gave the team after the Purdue dual. That is likely the silver lining for the loss, if there is one. Get the kids' attention, and you have kind of a freebie to up the cardio. Heh.

From FightingILLINI.com:

Quote:
Senior Send-Off

Fighting Illini wrestling will honor six seniors prior to the start of Friday's dual. Eric Barone, Brian Burns, Nick Gasbarro, Joey Gunther, Mousa Jodeh and Travis Piotrowski will each be recognized for their contributions to the Illinois wrestling program. The recognition will begin at roughly 3:45 p.m.
WARILLINI!!!
Old 02-21-2020
Varsity

Best of luck to all our seniors as they conclude their athletic careers and get out in the real world with, hopefully, a quality degree that will bring them success going forward.
Old 02-21-2020
Olympian

10-6 at intermission.

Justin Cardani with the bonus point. He was committed to a tilt, and that was good to see. Travis Piotrowski with the workmanlike effort. Dylan Duncan trending a little down right now. Mousa Jodeh with a match that came down to the last seconds. I didn't think he had a chance to win this going into it, but, wow, he almost did.

Barone with a veteran win over a tough ranked opponent. I think Barone's matches are usually messy, but he carries himself so well. Like a major league baseball shortstop.

They're introducing Alumni now, and we get the Deuce on the Loose! Griff Powell, Brian Glynn (one of my favs), Steve Marianetti, and a bunch more. There must be twenty Alumni there! Good crowd, too!

WARILLINI!!!
Old 02-21-2020
Olympian

Finishes up 23-9!

Really impressed with the ILLINI here. The Seniors had a great day. Guns with two third-period takedowns to beat a really good wrestler. Wrobo-cop was constantly funky in the messiest kind of way. I love his heart! You have to feel for his opponents, who are frequently going, "WTF was that?" Luke gave Hokit a match and kept it to a decision. He came out very aggressive, which was nice to see.

The Brawlnagels were incredible.

Seemed like the ILLINI, on the whole, were not breathing hard and the Bulldogs were gassing. Did that Purdue loss pay some dividends as far as cardio? Pretty impressed with Fresno State. They will be a force in the years to come.

Trey Sizemore again solid on the call. Like to hear him do these broadcasts. He might be in the lineup next year, though! His partner knew a ton about Clovis, California and the Tirapelles. She's up on her wrestling. Quality dual, top to bottom.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links