Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-21-2011
Varsity

Assistant Coaches

This is what was said about Harlems assistant coach:
"they have one of if not the best assiant coach in state in joe clothier. I think its rude not to give attention to the best assiant coach in the state"

1) Who are some of the other "best" assistant coaches in the state

2) What makes an assistant coach one of the best?
Old 02-21-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62kilos View Post
This is what was said about Harlems assistant coach:
"they have one of if not the best assiant coach in state in joe clothier. I think its rude not to give attention to the best assiant coach in the state"

1) Who are some of the other "best" assistant coaches in the state

2) What makes an assistant coach one of the best?
Mark Ruettiger was named assistant of the year last year at Lincoln-Way West....wasn't he? Grant it he was the Lincoln-Way Cent. head coach for many years, but he has still got to be one of the best assistants.
Old 02-21-2011
Lifelong

Matt Phelps

Without a doubt, Matt Phelps of Schaumburg is one of the best coaches in the state. He could have, and really should have, his own program. The way he breaks wrestling down for kids, first year to fourteenth year, is unbelievable. Schaumburg's recent success is in large part to this guy. Programs should be fighting over this guy, but he flies under the radar year after year, because it's all about the kids with him and looks for no recognition.
Old 02-21-2011
Varsity

My top three not in any order, all great!

LT: Mark King, Ben King, Toby Casella, Dane Nassenbenney (spelling I know) Pat Castillo

Sandburg: Mike Polz, Danny Polz, Tony Seabass Siebert (although maybe the worst beard I have ever seen), Mr. Polz ect..

Lockport: George Brecheisen, Josh Oster, Matt Bartley, Dan Blaskovitz, John Mackey

All three have good chemisrty and great knowledge of the sport

Sleeper pick for super ast: Danny Polz
Old 02-21-2011

I coach with an assistant coach who wrestled for Dan Gable for four years. I'm not saying he is the best, but he is a volunteer and he does an outstanding job. We might not get a lot of respect in Geneva, but we have built a solid foundation in a short amount of time. Coach Strub worked out with the Steiner brothers at Iowa for his four years and is a phenomonal technician. Any success we have had is due to Cody Strub. I just wanted to thank him for all his hard work!
Old 02-21-2011
Olympian

joe clothier look at how much harlem improved when he got there.

Last edited by greenlantern; 02-21-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2011
Varsity

Best assistant coach?

Here is the Blue Print From Greenlantern (GL) on College wrestling.
AD is "Athletic Director" at a Big 10 school.

Im not a coach yet, man I would love to be in on that interview,
Wait, I found the minutes from his (GL's) latest interview to coach wrestling at a middle school near Skokie.

AD - Well Son tell me about your wrestling experience.
GL - Well Sir I would like to start with my signed Letter of Reference from Mr. Tom Ryan.

To Mr. Lantern,
Please leave me alone!!!
Tom Ryan

AD - Ryan who?
GL - Tom Ryan Sir, the Best Looking, Most Dreamy, I mean the best coach ever!
AD - Ok and your experience.
GL - I would now like to give you my Letter of Reference from Coach Buxton of Blair Academy.
AD - Blair Underwood? You know these are not letters of reference; they are autographs on wrestling camp flyers son.
GL - Oh really,,,,they do mean the world to me.
AD - I'm still waiting on your experience in wrestling and coaching wrestling, or anything to do with wrestling.
GL Well sir, Im a mental strategist, I have a blueprint for the future of College Wrestling, and it starts right here with your school.

AD What the Hell
GL Shall I explain?
AD No Need, last time your experience?
GL Sir my career JV record was 1-19 but Im well-versed in the art of hand fighting!!

AD Get Out, and dont talk to the students on the way out!
GL But Im Green Lantern
AD Out
GL Pennsylvania!
AD Security!
GL You just dont get it, I know more wrestling then you, Pete Carroll, Evans, hand-fighting, mental game, Im nothing without the internet, aaaahhhhhhhh
Old 02-21-2011
Varsity

JP Akouri of Wheeling has got to be the best assistant coach around. He has been awarded MSL assistant coach of the year 4 years in a row and is basically the reason behind all of the sucess wheeling has had. He created Luke Smith, Mike Smith, Chris Johnson, Max Nowry, Danny Vargas the list goes on but he is the BEST period.
Old 02-21-2011

greatest staff of all time?

Providence 1988
Head coach- Tim Ruettiger
Assistants- Mike Polz (Providence/carl Sandburg HC), Tom Rossiano (WVHS HC), Bret Kooi (Lockport FBHC), Bill Scully (Hoffman Estates HC for many years)
Old 02-21-2011
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chernich View Post
I coach with an assistant coach who wrestled for Dan Gable for four years. I'm not saying he is the best, but he is a volunteer and he does an outstanding job. We might not get a lot of respect in Geneva, but we have built a solid foundation in a short amount of time. Coach Strub worked out with the Steiner brothers at Iowa for his four years and is a phenomonal technician. Any success we have had is due to Cody Strub. I just wanted to thank him for all his hard work!
I agree, you guys are doing a nice job and are running a classy, disciplined program. You are sandwiched in a great wrestling area with solid programs peppered in the area, but there is always changing of the guard with some success, after all you did win your conference.
Sponsored Links