Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 08-04-2011
Varsity

Intermediate State

It seems that most are in favor of a IKWF sanctioned intermediate state but are not in favor adding 9 year olds to the Novice division. Who would be in favor of adding an extra day to the IKWF state tournament? What is wrong with running a 1 day state tournament for midgets (9-10) year olds. Maybe on the thursday that Novice and Seniors are weighing in.

1) There would be a IKWF midget state tournament

2) 10 yr olds could still qualify and wrestle novice or intermediate. Like the rules are now if they qualify for novice then they can't wrestle midget.

3) 12yr olds could still wrestle novice or senior

Does that sound like a viable plan?

Last edited by 62kilos; 08-04-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2011
Youth Motivator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62kilos View Post
It seems that most are in favor of a IKWF sanctioned midget state but are not in favor adding 9 year olds to the Novice division. Who would be in favor of adding an extra day to the IKWF state tournament? What is wrong with running a 1 day state tournament for midgets (9-10) year olds. Maybe on the thursday that Novice and Seniors are weighing in.

1) There would be a IKWF midget state tournament

2) 10 yr olds could still qualify and wrestle novice or midget. Like the rules are now if they qualify for novice then they can't wrestle midget.

3) 12yr olds could still wrestle novice or senior

Does that sound like a viable plan?
it may work with some tweaking. the rule now is 10 year novice qualifier that doesnt place can wrestle midget state. with your suggestion wrestling midget state before novice would have to change. i dont know about adding an extra day to the state series for the sake of coaches and families with kids at different age groups. maybe a venue that can run enough mats for midgets novices and seniors at the same time might work.
Old 08-04-2011
Olympian

would have to be another weekend. You'd be adding 500 kids to the mix..
Old 08-04-2011
Varsity

Okay I think I was meaning intermediate not midget but we are still talking about 9-10 year olds....but...

I'm not sure that you have to run it on a different weekend. Most everybody is already there on Thurday and weigh-ins for novice and senior don't start until 3pm. That is plenty of enough time to complete a tournament like this. I would not be in favor at all of it being longer than one day or going in conjunction with the novice and senior tournament.

Perhaps wrestle to the finals break for novice/senior weigh-ins and finals at night? Would teams rather be at the intermediate finals or at the hotel?
Old 08-05-2011
Working hard

What about a family that has a sons at intermediate and novice. Your asking them to stay up in Rockford from Wednesday till Sunday. Sounds kind of expensive. State is allready a long weekend.
Old 08-05-2011
Olympian

Like I said in a earlier post, if we want to have a true state at every level just do it over 2 weekends like in Indiana. Have the state tournament, run and go thru the same format it has, with novice and seniors the first weekend. Than if we are wanting a bantam? and midget? division, you have that the second weekend. With the same format as novice and senior. It isnt that hard and I am sure the people in Rockford would love you for it. I am not sure how the people in Bloom or Danville would feel. However, this is just a idea for the ones that want to have a true state tournament, ran by the IKWF, instead of private groups or clubs, for every level.
Old 08-05-2011
Varsity

Jayrent, many of these families go to Danville anyway so the cost associated with the hotel is about the same. For many people having a same day weigh-in would mean that they wouldn't have to get room for the extra night. I think it is a wash because for the families that don't have any novie or seniors they are gone after thursday anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see it done over 2 weekends. I like the emphasis being on the watching guys develop at the novice and senior divisions but I do see the benefits of creating a one-day intermediate limited bracket so that age group get a sense of what it means to qualify and compete in Rockford. As we know, Danville has multiple "state champions" in the same weight class and the qualifing system is designed to get the most kids there "$$" not teach them about qualifing for a state championship.
Old 08-05-2011
Working hard

Well I thought midget state was great and my son thought it was great.I never worried about the multiple champs. When you turn ten and bum up to novice its a real eye opener. You need to start somewhere and I think midget state is perfect. There are alot of really good kids who don't qualify because the section there in. So there will be parents complaining. Some just want to be able to go experience the state tournament
Old 08-05-2011
Varsity

TappedOut, there are 18 weight classes and 8 sectionals so if the IKWF limits the brackets at 8 man brackets then we are talking about 288 wrestlers. We have been 2 small tournaments like that have been round robin where each wrestler gets 3 matches and are still done by 1-2 o'clock in the afternoon. This tournament could easily be done on the thursday before novice and seniors start and would be a great experience for the young guys.
Old 08-05-2011
Youth Motivator

this thing is getting real hairy now. a state tournament that you have to win your sectional to even qualify for? sectional winner equals state placer. even if the best 2 or 3 kids in the state are in the same sectional tough luck for not beating the state champ at sectionals. have you seen weigh ins in rockford? you propose weighing in 288 intermediates running their tournament and clearing them and the spectators out while running the weigh ins for 840 novice and seniors all in one day. that is all in addition to all of the other things going on that day that get over looked like handing out coaches bands and team packets and other stuff that people dont think about. i hope you can rustle up all the volunteers needed to run what will be considered the most miserable day in rockford.
Sponsored Links