Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 12-23-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamin View Post
Yes he did leave MC on his own, he didn't have to leave, he could've graduated from there (no rules on attending MC when you're 20), however he was just to old to wrestle in the IHSA. I'm just telling you what I was told from "the old man". I'm not writing this in stone(but why would he lie?). And what you have shared with us was that he left MC, which has nothing to do why he didn't wrestle. I'm telling you he didn't wrestle cuz of age and he left MC for reasons unknown (probably because he couldn't wrestle, why pay tuition for him there.)

Yeah that could be it. I just don't remember the article mentioning that he was too old to compete. I even the remember the headline, "Top wrestler leaves mt. carmel." My memory isn't totally clear, i just think they would've mentioned being too old to compete as a reason for his leaving.
Old 12-23-2011
Junior Varsity

You can also add Terrell Sandifer in the discussion. He used to beat up on Steve and Joe in the wrestling room and he won in 1989 as a sophmore.
Old 12-23-2011
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Geraci, Morris and Pustelnik were all Junior National Champions and each won one state title. At the state tournaments, Geraci beat Pustelnik once, Geraci and Morris split and Pustelnik beat Morris twice.
I'd have to say Ryan Schafer (Sterling) 5th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd (pinned by Gilbert)... Then "Bam Bam" Pustelnik... because I beat him my sophomore year (granted he must have been sick as hell and I wrestled the best match of my life) lol Those U.T boys were tough... The next year I wrestled John Massa to a tie. Memories.... gotta love them!
Old 12-24-2011
Junior Varsity

I just found this article about Tony Davis from 2000. Hope it clears up why he didn't wrestle his senior year.

http://http://www.collegian.psu.edu:...0dsports-2.asp

Wednesday, March 29, 2000 ]

Northern Iowa's Davis finds peace on wrestling mat

By Hiran Ratnayake
Collegian Staff Writer

Tony Davis has experienced several emotional impacts while attending four schools in the last six years.

And with the mentality that encompasses those associated with the foamed mat, Davis' excursions create a wrestling paradox.

However, an answer for the illogicality is found in Davis' past.

Staying at high school teammate T.J. Williams' house, Davis was dominant on the mat. As a sophomore at Mt. Carmel High School in Chicago, Davis won the Illinois state title as a sophomore and placed second as a junior.

In a school that boasts athletic celebrities the likes of basketball star Antoine Walker, football rookie sensation Donovan McNabb and Olympic wrestling hopeful Joe Williams, the logical choice would be for Davis to add to the accolades by graduating from the prestigious high school.

But Davis transferred from Mt. Carmel, a private school, to a public school for his senior year. A lot of the credits didn't transfer over, and Davis was ineligible to wrestle.

"Just a lot of problems and bad situations were going on," Davis said. "I knew I wouldn't be able to wrestle, but I had to get away."

After graduation, Davis attended Iowa Central Community College. It was there that Davis began the long road back to wrestling stardom after the one-year hiatus from the mat.

Every morning he would drill takedowns until his legs went numb, and then he would drill a hundred more. He would run until he felt like he was suffocating. Eventually, the hard work transcended onto the mat.

At the end of his two-year stint at ICC, Davis had two junior national championships under his belt.

Northern Iowa coach Mark Manning contacted Davis after his sophomore year, and the wrestler enrolled at the Cedar Falls university to compete as a Panther.

Though not carrying the notoriety of Mt. Carmel, Northern Iowa also has a couple athletic celebrities, such as football's Bryce Paup and Kurt Warner. The school's wrestling program has had adequate success, but it hasn't had an individual national champion since 1963.

In his first year at NIU, Davis treated the Div. I opponents much like he did his junior college foes. With the national championships being held at The Bryce Jordan Center last year, Davis cruised by higher ranked competition and found himself wrestling for the national championship.

The last hurdle left standing in Davis' path to the title was a familiar face — former roommate, T.J. Williams.

The undefeated Williams jumped to an early lead and held on for a 5-3 victory against Davis, leaving him with the silver. And although the two are still good friends, the loss had a profound affect on him.

"The pain of that loss hurt worse than anything I have ever gone through," Davis said. "I don't ever want to feel that bad again."

Even though the setback is one of the factors that propels him, Davis taps into another source to wrestle successfully.

His fiancée, Nicole Jenkins, is his constant motivation. She has been with him for six years. And while Davis sports a tattoo of Northern Iowa's mascot on his chest, his right triceps has Nikki's name on it.

"I wanted to give her something to show her my commitment to her. She's the one that helps me get through those stressful overtime and double overtime periods, she motivates me more than my other tattoo," Davis said. "Plus I love her so I would have gotten it anyway."

Davis believes his wrestling skills have improved mainly because of his relationship with Nikki. She was one of the few people who supported him when he made the transfer his senior year.

"She stuck by me through thick and thin so I owe her a lot," Davis said. "When I met her six years ago there was a bond between us, I knew it was love at first sight and ever since than we've been together."

Originally, Davis planned to wed Nikki before the season started. But as the season progressed, Davis decided to give his all to wrestling for his final year, so he can spend the rest of his life with his soul mate.

"I believe that's the girl I want to be with for the rest of my life, and we talked about it," he said. "We decided to get married two months after the season."

Davis has whipped his competitors this year, compiling a 26-1 record. His final collegiate match would be against Illinois' Adam Tirapelle.

At the end of the third period, the match was knotted 1-1. It didn't look very good for Davis. The stronger and fresher Tirapelle was forcing him to back up throughout the extended stanza.

But in the final minute, Davis must have tapped into his special resource. He caught Tirapelle and put him on his back for a takedown and two near-fall points, which gave him a 5-1 victory and his team's first individual national champion in 37 years.

As Davis stood atop the awards stand, he thought of his long road to the pinnacle. He even looked a little befuddled at the championship he had finally attained.
"I ask myself everyday, 'How can someone like me come back and do well in this sport after all the bad experiences I've had and the year I had off?' " he said. "The answer is that it has to be the work of God."

Old 12-24-2011
Olympian

Great article! Thanks for sharing that archive...
Old 12-24-2011
Mexican Headlock Champion

Terrel Sandifer is easily the most talented wrestler I have ever seen in my life.
Old 12-26-2011

Thanks to those who believed in me!

Wow, this is a huge debate!

This is really a great discussion. Illinois has had a lot of talented wrestlers who has had great success. However, I will say I am top 5...lol

My freshman year the word was that Tommy Lee an myself were suppose to meet in the finals however I was sidelined with a double hernia.

My Sophmore year I capture a state title.

My quarterfinals match my junior year I suffered another hernia. Mr.Wick my coach at the time wanted to pull me out of the tournment but I informed him that I wanted to finish the tournment. Mr Olgesbly my assistant coach at the time left the tournment an purshured two pair of spandex shorts to help with my hernia. I continue the tournment before suffering a lose to Reggie Wright in the finals.

I was dismissed from Mt Carmel High School my senior year. I did not touch a mat for a whole year . I went on to wrestling at Iowa Central Community College and capture 2 national titles.

After graduating from ICCC I went on to wrestle for the University of Northern Iowa where I was a runner up my junior year followed by a national title.

For more information visit: www.tonydaviswrestling.com
Old 12-28-2011
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champaign Supernova View Post
Terrel Sandifer is easily the most talented wrestler I have ever seen in my life.

I definitely agree with you.
Old 01-03-2012
Varsity

Randy Conrad East Leyden 2A
Kurt Bankston East Letden 2A
Sponsored Links